This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this Romahome is from ?

when you park on a campsite pitch does any one know where you come from looking at your Romahome?We have a GWR radio Bristol sticker front left and a Bristol Rugby badge front and back mainly because its the resplendent Historic coat of arms and not good sense to display a Bristol Rovers badge(no nothing to do with being rubbish!!!!!!!!)but we have to park in Ashton sometimes and thats in the Red part of town of city so attracts the wrong type of interest .Our first car a tiny Renault 4cv 750engine(lawnmower)in 1964 we had a badge bar with 5 badges on including my Dads old Bristol motorcycle and light car club 1933.I just wondered if any one sported any Town , county cricket . Carlisle / Settle steam train or even Lake district peak district also perhaps aMagpie for Notts County.Itmight be fashion has changed and no one does it any more.Do you remember the little triangle seaside badges caravans had plastered overwindows 1n 1960s well they on sale again retro style no no will pass on that .Campervans from Wales always have a Cwm ru Welsh badge on show or are they just old fashioned like me?OH re reading the Renault was mine not my Dads by then he had a M2 Jaguar

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
    also perhaps aMagpie for Notts County.
    I have a Notts County sticker in the car but not in my van.

We do have a Small Motorhome Sticker in the van though and they are still available if anyone wants one (or two) to put in their van/car, just send me an email/personal message with your address and I will pop one in the post. (Sorry for the shameless plug).
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Triangular stickers

Always came in different colours and had a faintly strange smell. We travelled in Wales a lot. However they seemed to lose quite a lot of stick unless you licked them and stuck them down again! However they always seemed to curl up eventually and fell on the floor!

Another popular thing was the 2 halves of a note, Shell I think - that if you were lucky enough to match the 2 halves you got the value of the note you joined up. My dad must have driven miles collecting those things. Petrol 2/6 a gallon.... Oh dear same price as beer!

Comment

a quick look at the tax disc tells where you paid the tax and its usually near home
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

As a child on a journey we used to spot registrations, take the last 2 letters and use the list in the old hardbacked AA book to find out where the car was registered. we knew some off by heart. Sheffield used to be WA, WE WJ and possibly WB but my memory is not what it was.

Peter

Comment

Vehicles from Birmingham always had an O in the middle of the registration letters in days gone by. My first car, a Riley Elf was LOV 607F - and a lovely car it was too, with a walnut dashboard. Ahh those were the days!

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
              As a child on a journey we used to spot registrations, take the last 2 letters and use the list in the old hardbacked AA book to find out where the car was registered. we knew some off by heart. Sheffield used to be WA, WE WJ and possibly WB but my memory is not what it was.

Peter
              We always did that too, and we collected the pennant shaped plastic window cling badges - but we were tenters not caravanners, as kids so they were stuck to the car windows, ruining the driver's view of the road.

My car is a bit of a giveaway on site as it has my phone number on it!

Comment

We bought a couple of "Kent" sticker for the Romahome but they faded in the sunlight. Trying to get a plastic car type badge now. Had one about 40 year ago, but cant seem to find one now ! When we were first married we collected those holiday car stickers in an album.!

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                  Vehicles from Birmingham always had an O in the middle of the registration letters in days gone by. My first car, a Riley Elf was LOV 607F - and a lovely car it was too, with a walnut dashboard. Ahh those were the days!

Di.
                  MMMM but my romahome has a TTR reg (ie Portsmouth - or presumably that is the same as Isle of Wight - Island Plastics) it now lives on an island of the inner hebrides... I sometimes feel like putting a sticker on it ( in Gaelic) I am not a tourist - I live here - I think I might get away with more wild camping that way

Comment

Not sure if I am being paranoid but I'd be reluctant to advertise where our van 'lives' as it is the only one of its kind in the area - rather liking advertising it to poss thieves? But then, of course, they would still have to track the street down...

A bit like Google maps being a double edged weapon - for a change our garden looks respectable in the image. But you can easily see who has/had nice cars etc, possible access routes etc.
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

No crime up here One advantage of living at the end of an 8 mile single track road is that any would be thieves will be viewed by many neighbours on their way in and out - noted as "stangers" -- where they go will be noted and if activity is out of the ordinary - bush telegraph will be active - I could even imagine in a really serious case - police waiting at other end of 8 mile single track road. Stranger driving a locally known vehicle???? Probably meet a road block Followed by Spanish inquisition - even an inncoent person would be intimidated Has advantages and disadvantages but I am happy to leave house and vehicles unlocked

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                        No crime up here One advantage of living at the end of an 8 mile single track road is that any would be thieves will be viewed by many neighbours on their way in and out - noted as "stangers" -- where they go will be noted and if activity is out of the ordinary - bush telegraph will be active - I could even imagine in a really serious case - police waiting at other end of 8 mile single track road. Stranger driving a locally known vehicle???? Probably meet a road block Followed by Spanish inquisition - even an inncoent person would be intimidated Has advantages and disadvantages but I am happy to leave house and vehicles unlocked
                        ------------------------
                        You are lucky. Sounds like life in the 1950s.

Next door one side found their posh car up on bricks - fancy wheels stolen. Next door the other side was broken in several times (thieves come back cos of house insurance resulting in purchase of new stuff?!). We had a car stolen from the local new shopping centre (handy for motorway escape).

See what I mean?

Yes, give us a lottery win and we are out of the place!!! But, having said all that, we have lovely neighbours and most of the natives are friendly!

Comment

Cheshire sounds like the Wild West

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                            Cheshire sounds like the Wild West

Peter
                            Put it this way, it is a very diverse area - some pockets of real priviledge (where the Cheshire set live) but, sadly, some areas of significant deprivation. Ours is kind of in the middle!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                              Put it this way, it is a very diverse area - some pockets of real priviledge (where the Cheshire set live) but, sadly, some areas of significant deprivation. Ours is kind of in the middle!
                              It's a big county, is Cheshire. I'm at the mud-and-cow-muck end! But if you tell anyone you live in cheshire, they think you're posh!!

We used to have those stickers on our cars years ago from every holiday we went on!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X