This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

romahome steering wheels

This may be a personal jailor type tactic but it helps to relax me on leaving our R20 to double lock it then you can do no more.When we bought our C15 yhe first thing me and Shirley love did (Shirley and i really!!) was go to our local Halfords and buy a big yellow steering disc lock .this item is not cheap in fact £76ish and a bit of a fiddle to fit but very visible and i hope a sort of deterent to naughty boys league .Im not sure how tamper proof it is but as an ex tradesman looks a beast of metal to attempt to breach it and the best part is it fit the wheel of the Berlingo as well so we didnt need a new one.I fit it every time we stop even in a supermarket to be in the motto its as easy to get in to good habits as bad and never forget......it just helps to feel a little bit safer .......go on ....treat yourself to one............Mark

I always think a visual deterrant is a good thing. Often the little ***s will just move onto another which doesn't have one. I wish I hadn't given mine away with the car (not on purpose was in the boot). Something I keep meaning to buy.

Comment

I agree about the value of visible deterrants, even if they only serve to slow down the professional thief a little. And, as you say, the casual thief is more likely to move on to the next vehicle, one hopes.

As well as the steering wheel lock and alarm, used every time I leave the vehicle, I also use a big, heavy wheel clamp when at festivals. It is a b*******r to remove and that is WITH the key! I obviously need more practice. I have been contemplating using it when stopping at motorway servce stations, travelodge etc as well.

It is easy to become paranoid, but when one has already had a vehicle stolen, one does become more cautious. I also try to remember not to leave anything interesting or possible valuable in sight.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Just picking up on this, are Romahomes particularly favored by thieving scumbags as I have been ambling along quite happily under the impression that as the R20 and the like were quite few and far between and lets say a little "specialized" that they would be of little interest to this prized section of the community.

Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
          This may be a personal jailor type tactic but it helps to relax me on leaving our R20 to double lock it then you can do no more.When we bought our C15 yhe first thing me and Shirley love did (Shirley and i really!!) was go to our local Halfords and buy a big yellow steering disc lock .this item is not cheap in fact £76ish and a bit of a fiddle to fit but very visible and i hope a sort of deterent to naughty boys league .Im not sure how tamper proof it is but as an ex tradesman looks a beast of metal to attempt to breach it and the best part is it fit the wheel of the Berlingo as well so we didnt need a new one.I fit it every time we stop even in a supermarket to be in the motto its as easy to get in to good habits as bad and never forget......it just helps to feel a little bit safer .......go on ....treat yourself to one............Mark
          Totally agree,I use a massive yellow steel bar that locks onto the steering wheel in a vertical position(Halfords) and would make it impossible to drive without removing it first. My insurance insist on a steering wheel lock of some kind and wont payout if it wasnt fitted.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by macamxth1st View Post
            Just picking up on this, are Romahomes particularly favored by thieving scumbags as I have been ambling along quite happily under the impression that as the R20 and the like were quite few and far between and lets say a little "specialized" that they would be of little interest to this prized section of the community.

Geoff.
            Dont kid yourself,the s**ts will nick anything,and the teens will nick it just to loot it then burn it.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by macamxth1st View Post

Geoff.
              Geoff I would think Romahomes are well down the Motorcaravan stealing chain but Any motor caravan if worth breaking into for contents it are likely to be inside more so than a car the number of bird watchers and walkers cars broken into at our local RSPB Reserve car parks prove this and I might add as far as I am aware none with alarms set and working !!!!
              A good Alarm is more of a priority than most other things.

The only small motor Caravans I have heard stolen was Mary Tidsall's and that was recovered undamaged. They are no good for speeding and are too noticable for joy riders

Comment

sorry i didnt mean to be an alarmist and suggest Romahomes were a target in my original post i just wondered if i was the only one to double lock.I always do the same when cycling and carry two Kryptonite shackle U locks for our solo bikes or our tandem one to a post one through the frames it pays to know the enemy and take a view to over lock rather than under but saying that we know dozens of cyclists who lock up with little more than a bit of old washing line(size wise)and never have a problem its a matter of choice.....mark

Comment

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
                  The C15 has an easy removable steering wheel, just a socket spanner is all you need if you have a non-disc steering lock. Then all you do, well I best keep that secret??????

I have 8mm steel joining rods linking each of the doors together that are joined after the doors are closed from the inside. My side windows have 3 extra metal locks that cannot be forced.The rubber catches put on by Romahome are rediculas. My rear stable door has a vertical 8mm rod covering it with steel bar screwed through so it would be impossible to force and the top door has a "unscrewable", only I know, rod in case I had to break in myself. I used to have 4 steel sharp spikes on the window frames and a steel lockable wire mesh between the cab and the rear to stop anything from climbing through.

The windows have one way mirror security film, I can see you but you can't see me!

My C15 also has a secret switch for disabling the engine and previously had an alarm with CO2 but that's taken out due to too many people finding out.

shame I have to sell it in March and cheap ish difficult to drive due to injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
                    The C15 has an easy removable steering wheel, just a socket spanner is all you need if you have a non-disc steering lock. Then all you do, well I best keep that secret??????

I have 8mm steel joining rods linking each of the doors together that are joined after the doors are closed from the inside. My side windows have 3 extra metal locks that cannot be forced.The rubber catches put on by Romahome are rediculas. My rear stable door has a vertical 8mm rod covering it with steel bar screwed through so it would be impossible to force and the top door has a "unscrewable", only I know, rod in case I had to break in myself. I used to have 4 steel sharp spikes on the window frames and a steel lockable wire mesh between the cab and the rear to stop anything from climbing through.

The windows have one way mirror security film, I can see you but you can't see me!

My C15 also has a secret switch for disabling the engine and previously had an alarm with CO2 but that's taken out due to too many people finding out.

shame I have to sell it in March and cheap ish difficult to drive due to injuries.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Goodness! Sounds like Fort Knox. Would be interested to see pics of tyhe interior's security arrangements....if that wouldn't breach your secrecy!!
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X