This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20 Maserati throttle*****

I wonder if any one else has had this problem?I wear asize 10 shoe in fact to be exact two size ten shoes (sorry old jokes the best) any way my feet are narrow and ive never had this problem before but on the way to Broadway cc site two years ago in a narrow lane also very dark went to brake the engine roared as well most confusing and scared the hell out of us too.It was almost like a 1954 Maserati 250 grand prix car that Stirling Moss ,s Dad was buying in Bologna .......it had the brake on the right throttle in the middle ??then clutch in normal place.(the Italian makers had to change it for Stirling before £4 500 changed hands.any way it happened again not 10 minutes later.....not pleasant.On looking at the Berlingo peddals i realised they are quite close and simple thing was on braking the edge of my shoe caught the throttle as well most un nerving(our Laurence said Peugeot 205 prone to same problem) so i must always wear a pair of narrow shoes for driving .I wonder if Stirling Moss would of had the same problem driving our R20......i can see it now ....Moss and Jenkinson lost the Le Mans 24 hour Race in R20 ...........because they stopped for a cup of tea!!!!!.......................Mark

Yes been there done that

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
    I wonder if any one else has had this problem?I wear asize 10 shoe in fact to be exact two size ten shoes (sorry old jokes the best) any way my feet are narrow and ive never had this problem before but on the way to Broadway cc site two years ago in a narrow lane also very dark went to brake the engine roared as well most confusing and scared the hell out of us too.It was almost like a 1954 Maserati 250 grand prix car that Stirling Moss ,s Dad was buying in Bologna .......it had the brake on the right throttle in the middle ??then clutch in normal place.(the Italian makers had to change it for Stirling before £4 500 changed hands.any way it happened again not 10 minutes later.....not pleasant.On looking at the Berlingo peddals i realised they are quite close and simple thing was on braking the edge of my shoe caught the throttle as well most un nerving(our Laurence said Peugeot 205 prone to same problem) so i must always wear a pair of narrow shoes for driving .I wonder if Stirling Moss would of had the same problem driving our R20......i can see it now ....Moss and Jenkinson lost the Le Mans 24 hour Race in R20 ...........because they stopped for a cup of tea!!!!!.......................Mark
    Hi had my R20 just a year and yes had the same prob, now I know about it not so bad. enjoy your tea it works well on brakes LOL. P.S size 8s

Comment

That's interesting - my big sis also had that problem when she drove my van (size 6 and her feet aren't as wide as mine). I flinched every time she did it!! It sounded AWFUL!

Her everyday vehicle is bigger than my little Micra (my everyday vehicle) so perhaps I am more used to closely fitted pedals.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I have size 8s but a broad foot and I have only once had a problem with either of our Berlingos but I drove minis in the past (the originals) and I definitely had to develop a technique for that.

Peter

Comment

This happened to me once in the C15,the carpet had slid forward and jammed the throttle,very scary for a min or two.Solved the problem by changing the style of footwell carpet.I do not have very big clod hoppers but some shoes have a wider sole and its easy to clip the wrong pedal.I can only assume the french have narrow feet.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
            This has happened to me twice with our 2008 R20 Berlingo Hylo. I also wear size 10 shoes. Looking at our other car, in which it has never happened, I note that the brake pedal on that is higher than the other 2 pedals whereas in the Berlingo all pedals are the same height. I wonder if increasing the height of the brake pedal, say with a small block of wood firmly attached, might solve the problem? Graham (and Carole)

Comment

I have size 12s and have to wear moccasins to drive ours, it still happens sometimes.
              You know what they say large feet large ????? large brain !
              Last edited by Alan; 13-01-2012, 16:32. Reason: missed a word out
              Alan

Comment

I've had this problem with various cars, including an emergency stop on the M4 in a Metro which ended with me sliding (no ABS...oops) to a halt with the throttle also to the floor

I don't like driving with normal/thick-soled shoes for this (and other) reasons, so always end up using a pair of canvas 'deck' shoes.
                Neil

Comment

R20 throttle

Never drive in crocs!

Comment

What a lot of fuss!
                    Imagine what it would be like with a 4.5 litre V8 Daimler limousine automatic with no clutch to press!
                    I don't need to imagine - I was there. Fighting against the acceleration to reach the ignition key before the next bend was the biggest problem!
                    Jim.
                    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Oh, here's the Daimler - one of ten we had.
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzie View Post
                        Never drive in crocs!
                        Oh dear...sounds like there might be a story behind that comment
                        Neil

Comment

R20 throttle moments

No exciting stories to relate luckily, just a few interesting brake plus accelerator moments - especially in my beloved crocs!

Were Crocs invented as perfect camping footwear and are we all still in love with these seriously unattractive but totally comfy plastic clogs?

Comment

I drive in my Crocs with no problems - but I only have size 5 feet.

When I first became a driving instructor I had a little Peugeot 106, and at the time it was fashionable for teenage boys to wear very wide trainers with really thick soles - they were always hitting the accelerator at the same time as the brake, and often they couldn't depress the clutch fully.

Apart from them having to learn to be a lot more careful with their feet - which probably made them better drivers in the long term - I partly solved it by getting them to sit a bit further back so they were using their toes not the ball of their foot - a common fault with learners.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                              ... I partly solved it by getting them to sit a bit further back so they were using their toes not the ball of their foot - a common fault with learners.
                              So there you go, BigFeet - move your seat back and use your toes!

Never had a problem with my size fives either!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X