As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome R40

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome R40

My wife and I are considering downsizing to an R40.

I can't find much in the way of negative press on this model. Any feedback from owners would be welcome.

I do have two specific questions, the first is the level of insulation. There is nothing in the brochure about this apart from its dual skinned GRP and insulated. We do go away in the winter - what is the level of insulation like?

Secondly, we currently have a Truma blown air heating system, what is the diesel heating like on these. I have seen elswhere that it can drain the leisure battery quite quickly?

Thanks

John

Hi John and welcome to the Forum.

There are several R40 owners on here and I have had mine for getting on for three years. To answer your specific questions, the Romahome bodies are all double skinned GRP with plenty of Thinsulate in between so very good at keeping warmth in in winter and also heat out in sunny southern Europe summers. The diesel heating is excellent and doesn't need to be on for long with the insulation so never had battery problems, we do have two 85Ah leisure batteries though.

For other information, I wrote a report on the main Small Motorhome site when I first had the van, and having re read it it is still mostly applicable, and we still have the van so I suppose that say's it all. Click on the website at the top left hand side of this screen and then go to reports on Romahomes. Anything else you want to know just ask and I am sure other R40 owners will jump in to help.
    Colin

Comment

Colin -

Thanks for the reply. One other question, rear overhang and ground clearance.

Our current van has a longer rear overhang but much greater ground clearance, is this a issue with the R40?

The reason I ask is we have a hump to get over as we access our drive. I will be a sing to try the van for size on the test drive but would welcome your views as you have had one for four years.

Cheers John

Comment

Hi John

Welcome to the forum, if you haven't seen it on the main website here is the R40 page with a clickable link to Colin's excellent review of his van.

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/r40.html
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Caulkheader View Post
          Colin -

Thanks for the reply. One other question, rear overhang and ground clearance.

Our current van has a longer rear overhang but much greater ground clearance, is this a issue with the R40?

The reason I ask is we have a hump to get over as we access our drive. I will be a sing to try the van for size on the test drive but would welcome your views as you have had one for four years.

Cheers John
          Now you have hit on the main problem we had, as to get off our drive, we come up our run , over the pavement and down a big kerb with an old fashioned 'D' shaped drop. Three things happened, firstly the mid point between the front and back wheels caught where the cold water tank emptying tap was lower than the body and broke the tube away from the tank. This was replaced FOC by Romahome and I had a smaller tube and tap fitted that tucked up under the body, no problem since. Secondly the welded join at the same point of the body touched occasionaly if I got the angle of exit wrong. It did no real damage but sounded horrible. Thirdly, unless eased off carefully the back could bounce and and just touch the kerb, no harm done but worrying noise. All sorted now, but at great expense as I have had the kerb lowered so smooth run off with no near misses.
          It is an important consideration but, to be fair, bar one farm track, it is the only time the lack of ground clearance has been a problem now that the heater exhaust has been wrapped round the tank instead of being looped underneath. Remember, mine was one of the first and quite a few things have been changed since so as well to check. Are you buying a new one?

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin -
            Thanks, I think we will have to test the van on the drive.
            The one we are looking at is a 2008 with 4K on the clock. We currently have a 7m coach built. There are only two of us and a dog which leaves a lot of spare space. I am convinced that we could, with some thought, happily make do with the space in an R40. The more durable design also appeals.

Thanks for the advice.

John

Comment

Hi John
              If this is the one at Freeborn's at Southampton it must be one of the earliest made and so will probably have the heater exhaust looped under the heater making it the lowest point on the van. I would suggest you get them to agree to re route it round the side of the heater, as they do on the new ones, if you decide to buy. Also try all the electrical things work properly, including water gauge and bathroom lights.

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

Did you find the fault in your water not pumping after the South West meet. remember I thought it was the pump brushes worn , was I right.

Nigel

Comment

Hi Nigel
                  I took the van to Ant and he found a bad earth connection which was obviously breaking down altogether at some point. A new earthing point and it went like a dream. Thanks for the tester, it at least enabled me to rule out a faulty switch but could not have shown the 5 or 6 volts only getting through on the earth side. Hope to see you at the next meet, best wishes.
                  Colin

Comment

R40

We've had our R40 for a couple of years now and have used it pretty extensively, both in summer and winter. I would agree that the diesel heater is very good indeed and is very economical. Normally we put it on full blast and then have to turn it off because it becomes too warm. It can drain the leisure battery but we have an extra leisure battery and solar panels so it's never really been an issue. The good thing about it is that the heater will cut out before the leisure battery runs too low. Must be some kind of sensor.

The long overhang worried me a lot at first as so many people warned me about it but in practice it hasn't been a problem. However, both the air bags in the suspension burst and, after consulting with Isle of Wight, Matt from the workshop advised me to fit two new springs, which were heavier than the old ones. He reckoned these would make the air bags redundant and that has been the case. I just tend to be careful where I take the van and I usually try and avoid tracks that are too pot-holed.

We've had some issues with odds and ends, mostly teething problems but a visit to the Isle of Wight last summer put everything right. The guys in the workshop there are excellent.

So, all in all we love our R40. We find it spacious, comfortable, economic and easy to drive. I'd recommend it with enthusiasm.

Comment

Hi Cameron -

Thanks for the info. We picked ours up on Friday. It drives really well in comparison to the Renault and our old Transit.

Unfortunately its got to go back as they fitted the up rated springs that you mention and damaged the air bag pipe, I have an alarm going off in the cab. I am interested that they told you the the bags would be redundent with the up rated springs. Did they take yours out?

The previous owner didn't leave the alarm code for the Sigma - so that needs sorting as I can't isolate the alarm at the moment and I don't have a cab manual.

You may be able to help me on this, the active locking message comes up, I take it that this is the auto re lock of the cab doors if they are not opened immediately. I can see me locking myself out! Is there a way of disabling this?

Thanks

John

Comment

Not sure if it works for timing of opening doors but the autolocking message can be turned off on the screen and stops the doors locking as you drive.
                        Colin

Comment

Thanks Cameron -

Just got it back from Freeborn having given them your advice, they have disconnected the airbags now the new springs are on.

John

Comment

Hi John,

Delighted you're enjoying the R40. Apparently the new, stronger springs are supposed to replace the air bags. Both our air bags burst and Matt at Isle of Wight sent us the new springs. Our local garage fitted them and removed the remains of the air bag. Unfortunately the air bag alarm started up again recently - it hadn't been removed and for some reason starting an ear splitting sound. I managed to find the alarm speaker (hidden under the driver's seat) and managed to disconnect it. Been perfect ever since.
                            I hope you contain ue to enjoy your R40.
                            Cameron

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X