As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

romahome away no smoke no fire

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

romahome away no smoke no fire

i know this is a slow burning subject but.......packing a R20 is easy if you are well organised and thoughtfull using the overcab for bulky light things heavy things on the floor etc but the one thing we never carry is the bar bq so many use.On tv this week Greg Wallace of Chef fame was on room 101 an said his pet hate was the dreaded BAR B Q ......hates them .It could be that we have just been unlucky on caravan sites but at least SEVEN times last year every time we get back on site for a sunny sit down with nice cup of tea outside in Buxton Burnham Brixham (add 4more that dont Rhyme) the people near try to smoke the hell out of us.I suppose it could be lack of thought on wind direction but the smoke tells the story and i started getting edgy and asking if the ....culprit .. in polite manner to move it over a bit and one chap knocked it all over with his knee.On one site the person said i wont be long but by then our clothes were stinking .....oh yes.To avoid gettig a fobia i sort of gag myself and move as far away as possible with chairs tables but accrid smoke in the Romahome takes some shifting so it makes me wonder is it an attitude with some people they paid for the pitch do what they want.When looking for a pitch now we avoid all obvious bbq sightings and hope for the best as we look for a quiet life and like to enjoy the limited sunshine this country offers does any one else feel they tget smoked out tooooo often or is it roll of the dice time ..... Mark

Too true. Comes into the same category as people smoking near you, as in the bad old days when people could smoke in pubs and even restaurants..

But I guess you could claim the last laugh, having superior cooking facilities in your van / cooked, and decent, not cremated meals!
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

We love having a bbq when we are camping but we always try to take account of where the wind is blowing so as not to upset neighbours.

Sue - We have four gas rings and an oven in the Dimension so we have so called superior cooking facilities but you can't beat the taste of lovely bbq'd steaks, chicken or pork chops, we don't have the normal burgers and sausages and we certainly don't cremate food.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

don't you besmirch the humble BBQ, me man, me cook on fire!!!

We regularly BBQ when on holiday, prefering it to the 'superior' indoor cooking facilities in our caravan which includes a microwave, gas oven and separate grill, 3 gas rings and an electric hot plate!!

Our BBQ is gas though, so it is easier to regulate the heat and also hopefully smokes less, but regarding the placement of it trying to consider wind directions etc, this is limited by the length of the gas hose which according to the dealer we bought from, is 2 metres. Also, the wind direction regularly changes anyway and therefore the smoke is bound to be blowing towards someone isn't it??

I think that BBQ are part of the outdoor lifestyle & have never had anything but positive comments when cooking on one. Each to their own I say!
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

This takes me back to when I was small, and anyone who dared light a garden bonfire on washing day was liable to be ostracized. If not worse...

Maybe there should be a rule that odd number pitches bbq on Mon, Wed, Fri, and even number pitches bbq on Tue, Thur, Sat?

I'll bbq only on days that end with a 'y'... That should be ok shouldn't it?

Comment

I remember the washing line police Jim,heaven help you if you offended

the Barbie problem seems to be mainly caused by the rise of the disposable barbie,these are very smoky when they are warming up and often stink of the fuel that is used to light them.

But gas barbies are no problem as far as I can see.

Last year on a roma rally I watched someone using the latest idea,a paper bag of barbie coals that put into your barbie and just light the bag.Not only did it pong but the breeze blew bits of smouldering paper all over their nylon awning,with predictable results,lots of panic and lots of holes in the nylon.

Disposable barbies also often bring on the wrath of the site wardens as they burn holes in the grass.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
              don't you besmirch the humble BBQ, me man, me cook on fire!!!

We regularly BBQ when on holiday, prefering it to the 'superior' indoor cooking facilities in our caravan which includes a microwave, gas oven and separate grill, 3 gas rings and an electric hot plate!!

Our BBQ is gas though, so it is easier to regulate the heat and also hopefully smokes less, but regarding the placement of it trying to consider wind directions etc, this is limited by the length of the gas hose which according to the dealer we bought from, is 2 metres. Also, the wind direction regularly changes anyway and therefore the smoke is bound to be blowing towards someone isn't it??

I think that BBQ are part of the outdoor lifestyle & have never had anything but positive comments when cooking on one. Each to their own I say!
              Yes Glen I was at one of your BBQ's at Mortom-in-Marsh I think it was, and boy was it good, I think at least thirty people attended, no such thing about burnt food, my steak was medium rare, (we all took our own food) very enjoyable, I love a BBQ as long as it's gas, then it's controllable, many sites just don't allow them anyway.
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

Ok folks, I will admit to little experience with barbecues, both of us having been put off for life by cremated offerings at my father-in-law's house, many, many years ago. (I was terrified of the pair of them so had to pretend the food was lovely!)

Now that I have the van, I guess it is time to be more adventurous, and to disregard the smoke signals being sent around the various campsites that we used when camping in tents. So, come the Spring meet, you are all invited to try to convert me with your culinary offerings!

Comment

HI
                  We take a Cadac gas barbecue when we go out in our R25 less trouble
                  BRIAN

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                    Ok folks, I will admit to little experience with barbecues, both of us having been put off for life by cremated offerings at my father-in-law's house, many, many years ago. (I was terrified of the pair of them so had to pretend the food was lovely!)

Now that I have the van, I guess it is time to be more adventurous, and to disregard the smoke signals being sent around the various campsites that we used when camping in tents. So, come the Spring meet, you are all invited to try to convert me with your culinary offerings!
                    My culinary offering will be tinned sprouts and crisps
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                      Oh, yummy! Sound as appetising as the raw sprouts dipped into chocolate that were given to my daughter to taste, when at uni! :

Comment

I cannot make my mind up!
                        I love BBQd food when properly done, but NOT from a gas BBQ which produces a different less tasteful product.
                        However, I hate the smell and smoke of a charcoal BBQ warming up and agree that the smell lingers on clothes etc. Especially hated if it is someone elses BBQ!
                        Once "cooking with charcoal" has started, the smell makes my mouth water.
                        There is no winning with some people. Is there?
                        Jim.
                        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

well done Jim that was what i was after on the first post ...........just a little sympathy .......and understanding.....such is life thank you.........Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                            I love BBQd food when properly done, but NOT from a gas BBQ which produces a different less tasteful product.
                            I agree Jim, I think a charcoal BBQ is much tastier than gas.
                            Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                              Perhaps you could call it Bubble & Squeek with a bit more crunch !!
                              Last edited by Sidick; 03-02-2012, 19:07.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X