As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome a 4season van ...now add Siberia

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome a 4season van ...now add Siberia

Last Friday Shirley was packing our R20 and the Lady owner of a v large Hymer 4doors up the road said "a bit brave arent you"Not really said Shirley on electric hook up so we will be ok.we travelled to Oxford C and camping site (our 1st tell you in open forum)next to GO outdoors shop(massive)The taps all froze up next morning at outside sinks in fact all outside water rock solid so washed dishes in rubber folding buckets much to amusement of the wardens working under the sink with burst pipe.They warned us of forcast for heavy snow as we set off walking into the wonderful town of Oxford .We got back as Russia threw its worst at us and the r20s must be so well made and insulated with our De longhi bambino on as well we were quite warm as snow built up around us (all crisp and even .....old jokes !!)Sunday morning we used a fan heater to boost it up and later the warden said it hit Minus 11c in the night and was minus 7 then > we texed our boys who said it snowed but rain was soon to follow to clear it all away The point is we have the confidence to holiday in a little Romahome in sub zero temps .....in photos it looked a Roma ..iggglooo ...ski..... Did it snow much near you?..Mark and Shirley.

I'm about to put mine to the test with a trip tomorrow and an overnight forecast of -7'ish (but I won't be on a campsite).

I've previously camped in a Kangoo panel van in -14. The condensation throughout the interior (roof, walls and windows) froze and the ice inside the windscreen was probably about 4mm thick which took ages to scrape away then thaw! I'm hoping the Romahome will be much more snug - but there's only one way to find out...

Comment

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
      Last Friday Shirley was packing our R20 and the Lady owner of a v large Hymer 4doors up the road said "a bit brave arent you"Not really said Shirley on electric hook up so we will be ok.we travelled to Oxford C and camping site (our 1st tell you in open forum)next to GO outdoors shop(massive)The taps all froze up next morning at outside sinks in fact all outside water rock solid so washed dishes in rubber folding buckets much to amusement of the wardens working under the sink with burst pipe.They warned us of forcast for heavy snow as we set off walking into the wonderful town of Oxford .We got back as Russia threw its worst at us and the r20s must be so well made and insulated with our De longhi bambino on as well we were quite warm as snow built up around us (all crisp and even .....old jokes !!)Sunday morning we used a fan heater to boost it up and later the warden said it hit Minus 11c in the night and was minus 7 then > we texed our boys who said it snowed but rain was soon to follow to clear it all away The point is we have the confidence to holiday in a little Romahome in sub zero temps .....in photos it looked a Roma ..iggglooo ...ski..... Did it snow much near you?..Mark and Shirley.
      ---------------------------------------
      I am SERIOUSLY impressed! Sounds a wonderful trip. Well done. A good advert for the van. why don't you write a few notes for the romahome magazine, telling re your experiences?

And yes, Oxford is a beautiful town, city even. (We were married in Old Marston, on the outskirts of Oxford, 40 years ago this July.)
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

We use our Outlook all year round - it beats a tent in the snow!!! We are thinking about the Alps or Pyrenees next winter.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
          the ice inside the windscreen was probably about 4mm thick
          My bedroom used to be like that in winter when I was young, no central heating or double glazing in those days.

Have spent lots of nights in sub zero temps in different caravans and motorhomes, never been cold with EHU - or without it in the vans that had gas heating.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
            My bedroom used to be like that in winter when I was young, no central heating or double glazing in those days.

Have spent lots of nights in sub zero temps in different caravans and motorhomes, never been cold with EHU - or without it in the vans that had gas heating.
            ------------------------------------------------
            You forgot to mention the ice on the INSIDE of the bedroom windows!

Sleeping in a canvas tent in sub-zero temperatures is just about bearable provided you have enough layers, including hats, maybe a coat to put loosely over your head, and a little child to haul into bed with you as a hot water bottle! I know - we have done it!

But, ha ha, last September my daughter and partner were cold in the tent, and grumbled in the morning. We were as warm as toast in the campervan!
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

It was on the inside - see the quote from Karen's post - that's what I meant.

Mind you, I was very cold in my Combi Camp overnight a couple of years ago - on Midsummer's Eve! Luckily I was camping near home and I came back home on the saturday for another duvet, woolly hat, gloves and socks so that night was better.

Comment

In my younger days a group of us used to got to Aviemore for a weeks skiing during the Feb half term. We used to camp at the Glenmore Forrestry Commission campsite, I remember the toilet facilities being very good and warm. As a potholer/climber I used to dave a down duvet jacket to keep warm in the daytime and 2 sleeping bags for the night, and a blanket over the airbed to stop the cold striking through. The only trouble we ever had was when it was so cold that the diesel landrover was a pig to start.

Peter

Comment

I'm now back from wildcamping in the Brecon Beacons. I've no idea what the external temperature was as reports quoted -4, -6 and -10 but I can happily confirm that Romahomes are geared up for mid-winter camping.

I parked around 6pm, used internal silver screens (first time in RH) and drew the cab curtains and the indoor temperature remained a toasty 12 deg until after 10pm - probably not many unheated campervans could boast this.

I switched on the heater for about 20 minutes then left it on overnight on its lowest setting - it kicked in 3x but I had to turn it off as it was just too warm.

This morning I was stunned to find thick ice on the inside of the cab windows and the windscreen was so thick I needed to use de-icer before scraping it off, which took me a good 40 minutes! Even the side windows and door window behind the blinds were iced-up and I was snuggly unaware and only saw it when I first peeped out thinking it must be a bright, warm, sunny spring day - then saw the ice and snow. I think this illustrates just how effective the insulation is in Romahomes - very impressive indeed.

Comment

Those of you with demountables could try this if it gets any worse!

Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

I lived in this for 3 weeks in the Arctic Circle in northern Russia back in 2005 when I was working out there. It was -20c when we arrived and it had a pot belly stove and ran in condensation all the time, even the bedding was wet all the time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm now back from wildcamping in the Brecon Beacons. I've no idea what the external temperature was as reports quoted -4, -6 and -10 but I can happily confirm that Romahomes are geared up for mid-winter camping.

I parked around 6pm, used internal silver screens (first time in RH) and drew the cab curtains and the indoor temperature remained a toasty 12 deg until after 10pm - probably not many unheated campervans could boast this.

I switched on the heater for about 20 minutes then left it on overnight on its lowest setting - it kicked in 3x but I had to turn it off as it was just too warm.

This morning I was stunned to find thick ice on the inside of the cab windows and the windscreen was so thick I needed to use de-icer before scraping it off, which took me a good 40 minutes! Even the side windows and door window behind the blinds were iced-up and I was snuggly unaware and only saw it when I first peeped out thinking it must be a bright, warm, sunny spring day - then saw the ice and snow. I think this illustrates just how effective the insulation is in Romahomes - very impressive indeed.
                        So glad you had a warm cozy time Karen,but if you had an external screen wrap,a paragon unit covers the screen and side cab windows,you would not have had any icing in the cab. I suggest strongly that you get one.Nigel had a different make of wrap,dont know where he got it!
                        Ian
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                          So glad you had a warm cozy time Karen,but if you had an external screen wrap,a paragon unit covers the screen and side cab windows,you would not have had any icing in the cab. I suggest strongly that you get one.Nigel had a different make of wrap,dont know where he got it!
                          Ian
                          I'm not keen on using external screens. As I wildcamp, I'd like the option of being able to move away without getting out of the van - although this wouldn't be quite so easy when fully iced-up all-round!!!! (I'd also need to find somewhere to store wet screens - so not very practical for me.)

Comment

hello Karen loved your story and when you tell people who dont camp ever their eyes nearly pop out . Can i just say our outside silverscreen stopped our windows freezing up and we put it in its waterproof bag and prop it under my seat on the move and it dries out real easy with van heater on.when people say romahoming(or away in any campervans or caravans)is life changing ......well it is.......cant wait to get away again ....i expect you are the same....Mark

Comment

I'm not keen on using external screens. As I wildcamp, I'd like the option of being able to move away without getting out of the van - although this wouldn't be quite so easy when fully iced-up all-round!!!! (I'd also need to find somewhere to store wet screens - so not very practical for me.)
                              Couldn't you store them in one of the roll up 'space' bags that way it would take up less space and keep everything else dry. I can see that wilding may be safer using internal screens but like you say you couldn't have made a quick getaway with permafrost on the inside of the windscreen
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X