As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

romahome in reverse gear ...or emohamoR

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

romahome in reverse gear ...or emohamoR

To be honest i dont find reversing in our R20 very easy it could be as i seem low in the front with a higher back and small windows. Ididnt seem to have trouble in a works trade van using mirrors only butit was a lot higher so i may be making excuses.A customer would say can you park in that space ? yes if you dont watch!!!!!!any way at Oxford the warden said i wii stand on the spot iwant you to be and i had try 3 times as stood where i could nt see him in my wing mirrors and it would not be polite to .....sort of knock him over ..not a way to make a friend either.He was very good and saw the funny side of it as i said bet your glad i havent got a caravan (grin grin!!!!)It was a grass tump i had to get level on and ok in the end...you can make a game out of anything.Does any one else find it a bit tricky in reverse or is it me.the Warden may of been saying right a bit but im a bit deaf so no help that way i suppose so perhaps i need to practice...practice.......Mark

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
    To be honest i dont find reversing in our R20 very easy it could be as i seem low in the front with a higher back and small windows. Ididnt seem to have trouble in a works trade van using mirrors only butit was a lot higher so i may be making excuses.A customer would say can you park in that space ? yes if you dont watch!!!!!!any way at Oxford the warden said i wii stand on the spot iwant you to be and i had try 3 times as stood where i could nt see him in my wing mirrors and it would not be polite to .....sort of knock him over ..not a way to make a friend either.He was very good and saw the funny side of it as i said bet your glad i havent got a caravan (grin grin!!!!)It was a grass tump i had to get level on and ok in the end...you can make a game out of anything.Does any one else find it a bit tricky in reverse or is it me.the Warden may of been saying right a bit but im a bit deaf so no help that way i suppose so perhaps i need to practice...practice.......Mark
    Mark you say you have driven your works van so you mus be halfway there.

Get a Road Cone from somewhere when the lighter nights come or at a weekend go find a quiet car park and try to perfet your reverse parking and driving.
    Sooner or later you will find a need to reverse for a distance practice now before it happens

Alf

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
      Mark you say you have driven your works van so you mus be halfway there.

Get a Road Cone from somewhere when the lighter nights come or at a weekend go find a quiet car park and try to perfet your reverse parking and driving.
      Sooner or later you will find a need to reverse for a distance practice now before it happens

Alf
      Why not put a marker where the rear driver's side corner of the Romahome needs to stop and reverse up to that? It could be a road cone or even a bucket. Anything!
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Whew! So it is not just me! The reversing sensors are helpful when back up the drive, between the house and the communal fence. But to reverse into a parking space, which I can do without hesitation in a car? Er..... This driver needs more practice as well.
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I've just fitted reverse sensors to our Duo.. Would a 'how to' thread be helpful? (It was a PITA by the way!)

These are not easy to reverse - even for the most skilled drivers as the rear corners are in blind spots.

If you have time or inclination, I'd suggest a Sunday morning hour in Tescos carpark would be useful, 20-odd goes at blind reversing will get you spatially aware of the corners.
          Last edited by rubberrat; 07-02-2012, 18:50.
          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

yes thanks for the advice and really like the marker idea its quick and easy and would work ok .I can reverse along a kerb no trouble but onto a pitch backwards not easy so most often drive on back off ......thanks ......any one remember the old tv advert Reginald Molehusband parking in his austin 1100 i think it was......Mark

Comment

I have the same problem with my caravan - why do they always stand in the middle of the pitch instead of where they want the right hand corner to go?

How about a periscope? I remember when I was young a lot of cars towing caravans had them.

You can get a wireless reversing camera set for about £130 from Maplin - I got one, but when I got it home I realised it has to be wired in to the reversing light - and my caravan doesn't have one.

Spaces in a car park should be easy 'cos you can see the white lines in your mirrors if you have them set right..

Comment

I have driven several vehicles with no rear windows our Transit camper included, the method I use is to look for a point that i can see in the drivers door mirror and concentrate on that, it helps if you can have a reccy at the space you want to reverse into as you drive up to or past it-practice makes perfect.

derek b and Babs
                derek b and Babs

Comment

When on a campsite I always get out and have a reccy before I start to park on a pitch.

I remember the Reginald Molehusband adverts - it shows my age.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X