As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Assisters - question for Nigel (Riosromahome)

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Assisters - question for Nigel (Riosromahome)

Good Morning Nigel

I hope that your leg is getting better. I require the use of your brain please.

Our Romahome has MAD spring assisters fitted but they are obviously not up to the job. Please can you give away a trade secret and tell me the dimensions of the springs that you fitted or what motorbike they were from.

Thanks

Peter

I have been thinking of this option for Donk (my 1.3 carry with the camper / works pod) as it has the "going permanently uphill" pose. Interested to know if this addition could be fitted.
    I also know that the earlier rascal/super-carry carried a ballast weight to stop them bouncing when empty, which doesn't help with suspension when their full ! So i will need yo have a look and see if Donk has one fitted and if this is the case remove it !

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
      Good Morning Nigel

I hope that your leg is getting better. I require the use of your brain please.

Our Romahome has MAD spring assisters fitted but they are obviously not up to the job. Please can you give away a trade secret and tell me the dimensions of the springs that you fitted or what motorbike they were from.

Thanks

Peter
      Off the top of my head the springs are 210 - 230mm long 8mm wire and 42mm - 48mm internal diametre. If the inner diametre is a little under 42 then a little of the rubber stop needs to be shaved off so it fits over the rubber. What Romahome do you have Peter?

The springs I buy from 3 different bike breakers but they are not off any particuler bike. Also they are becoming harder to obtain due to there being no market for them and many breakers just send them of to scrap weight.

Regarding the Honda Acty the lower part of the spring goes over the rubber on the leaf but the top has a spring holder that bolts on the the underside beam. I only ever sold 2 pairs of Acty assissters and the customers never told me anything more about how much better it was.

My left foot is much better but achillies very tight. My right outer ankle is due for plastic surgery at Exeter in a week but the surgeon says there is only a 50/50 chance of it working and says I could be ulcerated for a couple of years.I will be under gen anasthetic for the 5th time and will stay in for 2- 3 days, God knows why. I can now stand up for up to an hour before the swelling gets the better of me.

The whole collision episode is dragging me down and I wonder if there's a better life for good people up above. It's also questionable if I'll be going to Kingsbury as the surgeon moans if I try and do anything.

Nigel

Comment

Hi Nigel

Ours is a Berlingo but I fitted the uprated Mad springs when the originals did not do the job. The ones I have are "heavy duty" however they did not seem much better and now e are down at the back. Our Berlingo car used to have Grayston helper springs but one of those broke and I put the redundant MAD springs on there.

I find it incredible that these springs are so dear vwhen the front springs for Berlingos are about £30 each.

I wonder if I could replace the the shockers with coil overs?

I need to search for a motorcycle breakers that can supply a pair of springs of the right dimensions.

Thanks for the information

Peter

Comment

The rubber bump stops on the suzuki carry are about 3" in diameter, so i am possibly looking at using Suzuki Vitara Coil springs (possibly shortened) between them and the chassis stops, and securing them with some kind of retaining bracket.

Comment

Peter,
            It could be possible to put a spacer between the top rubber stop and the spring but it would have to be made specialy.

The suzuki carry

I personaly would not use a spring that has at least 75mm internal diametre. This is because it would probably be 10mm wire and too strong for the rear. The road noise would be higher and you'd feel all the bumps. If you decide to go that route then you must be careful how you cut the springs to length. I use a chop saw to give a flat clean cut but it's important to secure both ends of the spring so that it does not jam up.

Unfortunatly I cannot stand up for very long but I would have made something for you both if I could.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hadnt thought about the road noise!

The other thought i had was to make a new set of hangers for the leaf springs to compensate for the lean. The springs would do the same job as they are doing now, which feels smooth enough, but they wouldn't give the leaning backwards look.

Comment

Got the Romahome up in the air and wheels off this morning. One spring missing completely and the remnants of a broken spring at the other side. I have temporarily pinched the ones from the car. I think that they have a lifetime guarantee and so I shall be bending someone's ear on Monday morning. The internal diameter of the broken spring is 50mm and the wire is 8mm diameter. Because one is missing and the other is broken I have no idea of the free length.

Peter

Comment

I threw a pair of 66mm x 230mm x8mm springs in the bin a few weeks ago, the internal diameter would have been 66mm - 2x8mm=50mm
                  It is possible for the springs to fall out cos a fella bought a pair of me and one fell out and was lost possibley due to speed humps. I too had one come loose in Cornwall but now I secure the bottom with a plastic tie wrap.

I you can wait a few days I will see what I can come up with but you'll need to measure the gap between the trailing arm spring mount and the top mount. If they are too long I'll cut them down.
                  What do you think?

If I remember rightly the bottom support is very shallow/short on Grayston's so I made the ones I sell about 50mm long to fit inside the spring.

Comment

THanks Nigel.

I am going to have a go at MAD on monday and see what happens.

I will be in touch

Peter

Comment

Have been in touch with MAD (Comptec in this country) 2 new springs to be delivered as soon as stock arrives from Holland no mention of money.

On another topic, we have been having problems with the airbag light staying on and MOT is due soon. There is a plug and socket under the drivers seat that is tempremental (a known problem on Berlingos). I cut it off today and joined the wires with proper connectors.

Peter

Comment

Received a parcel this morning, they tried to deliver it yesterday but we weren't in.

The parcel was from Comptek who are the MAD agents, it contained two replacement springs at no charge.

That is what I call good service. I dealt with someone called Alisadair.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                          Thanks for the info. I hadnt thought about the road noise!

The other thought i had was to make a new set of hangers for the leaf springs to compensate for the lean. The springs would do the same job as they are doing now, which feels smooth enough, but they wouldn't give the leaning backwards look.
                          Did you sort out the backward lean on your suzuki? I'm looking to get the springs upgraded on mine .. and would appreciate any clues if you knew where I could get it done
                          I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                          http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X