This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - different styles of C15 Romahome body

This search for a C15 for our friends has become a steep learning curve!
    I'm seeing two distinct body styles, (other than the HiLo/HiTop of course) some with a complete GRP monocoque body, rather like my Duo, some seem to retain a section of steel C15 van a foot deep running from the cab doors to the rear wheels.

Any idea what the two styles are? Were some rebodied on panelvans i.e not factory fitted or factory retrofitted? Or is it just a model change .. if so, what year did the change occur (My viewing hints at pre 93 - for the steel panel, after 93 for the full GRP body)
    Last edited by rubberrat; 15-02-2012, 12:25.
    Aircooled VW Camper nut!

It was a body change as we had one of the old ones and traded it in for the new type with much greater payload. It was a change from a pickup base to a chassis cab that allowed the body to look properly intergrated, I don't think the inside changed. I think you are right about the year although many of the old design were sold later as they were still in dealerships.
    Colin
    Last edited by niloc; 15-02-2012, 14:13.

Comment

The last of the C15 Romahomes was made in about 2000/2001 and the last of those built on cut down vans (ie metal sides) was about 1990/91. So durable is the fibreglass body that a number have been taken off the old rusting van and fitted to newer vans. This practise is not approved of by Romahome. Be very wary of any C15 Romahome newer than 2000, check the build date with Romahome (each camper shell has a Romahome identification number. If I was considering one newer than 2000 I would want an engineers report to show that the the conversion had been carried out correctly. For instance between 1991 and 2000 C15s were built on 765Kg chassis cabs and from 2000 Citroen only made 600Kg vans and so there is a payload issue. I doubt that any Romahomes wre built on C15 pickups as they were only available from Citroen to special order.

Many C15 Romahomes will have car tyres fitted although they should really have reinforced van tyres fitted.

We had a C15 for a number of years and were very pleased with it although we did have to do some body repairs due to rust. It proved to be very reliable and we covered many miles both in the UK and France camping all year round in all weathers. The camper part proved to be very durable. We enjoyed it so much that we moved on to a Berlingo based Romahome. I think the realadvantage is that they can be used as a good holiday vehicle but they are small enough to use as an everyday vehicle.

Peter

Comment

Peter / Colin,

Many thanks for that, the one I have an eye on is a '97 with low mileage backed up by FSH, PAS and it has 'full' GRP body as per our Duo.

Pending a conversation with the owners tomorrow morning it should be on our 'final three' list selected for viewing.

We found a HiLo in the next village to us, not officially for sale but the jungle drums were obviously iin his earshot... but the owner has a grossly inflated view of its value unfortunately.

Once again, thanks for the guidance...
        Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

hello ex vw matey we had (1960 vw camper 1973 ...to 1979 ) the c15 romahome we had was 1998 and in brilliant condition apart from a line of rust on bonnet horizontal at the front i had to doctor it a bit but we thought it was really good one and loved it .We changed to a Berlingo newer one to give us a bit of woosh on travelling but the home part is very similar all tried and tested and a good advert to everyone to get one very rare for anyone not to like them.Hope you get one its a must buy it really is!!!!!!!!...Mark

Comment

Hi - We did buy that '97 hi top, our friends picked it up last weekend. I found it a but slow and scary on the brakes compared to our Duo, even though the DW8 engined Berlingo is a pretty dated model in modern diesel technology, it is great to be able to keep up with the BMWs in the outside lane of the motorway (when we are unlucky enough to have to use them)

I have a hankering for another VW as a summer 'toy' again... can't give them up

(By the way, the chap with the HiLo in next village wanted nearly £10k for it, so let it go, pretty top money that)
            Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment