As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance Renewal

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Renewal

Its that time again.

we have had our renewal from Safeguard and it has gone up again. I did some research on the Internet and found a much cheaper insurance through the Camping and Caravanning Club but I couldn't find any details about the breakdown cover and it only gives 90 days in Europe per year and only 30 days in one trip. I have been back to Safeguard (whos breakdown is done through AA fleet). They cannot match the C&CC quote but they can come quite close and so we have stayed with them at £328 including full European braekdown cover.

Peter

twin1

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
    Its that time again.

we have had our renewal from Safeguard and it has gone up again. I did some research on the Internet and found a much cheaper insurance through the Camping and Caravanning Club but I couldn't find any details about the breakdown cover and it only gives 90 days in Europe per year and only 30 days in one trip. I have been back to Safeguard (whos breakdown is done through AA fleet). They cannot match the C&CC quote but they can come quite close and so we have stayed with them at £328 including full European braekdown cover.

Peter
    I think the main thing is the break down and recovery. We read all all our paperwork and no mention of who it is with the CC club. However,we had a nasty chip on our screen,rang them up and the RAC came out to us. We cannot leave England for a little while so no problems there. We were for many years with comfort who we found ideal for European travel and recovery
    .On one trip they sent out a driver to recover a friend and his camper when he was not well enough to drive home.
    Its good to ring round and keep up to date with prices though.

Comment

Our R25 with Lifeesure cost us £397

BRIAN

Comment

We've just paid £234 for our Duo+ fully comp with 8k mileage limit, including legal, unlimited full cover abroad including £14 brokers fee. Includes driving other cars . With markerstudy insurance through www.campton.co.uk Seems good to me
        They did quote £277 with breakdown including unlimited trips of up to 90 days at a time european cover with total 5k mileage limit per annum.
        Last edited by peterfowden; 06-06-2012, 21:28.

Comment

thanks for this - ours is due to renewal in July. So will check around before renewing. I would anticpate 8k travel would be adequate for our needs, but is still early days for us. We are getting more and more adventurous, not being limited by time, but limited to some extent by the cost of fuel and campsite fees. No point having the van unless we use it...as often as possible
          Last edited by NomadSue; 06-06-2012, 22:14.
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

When we use our romahome because of the cost of fuel we try to combine a few places.

E.G. This weekend we travelled from our home in Lancashire to see my dad, then on to North Lincs to visit a friend who has a very convenient spot for us to overnight in our van, then across the Humber bridge to Hull to visit relatives, then back to North Lincs to watch the Humber river pageant then home on Tuesday.

Peter

Comment

A word of warning, though. I insured the Romahome pre-transplant with Lifesure; £284 fully comp. However, after about six weeks I cancelled it as they wouldn't insure the van post-transplant. They tried to refund less than £100.

I am in the process of recovering more from them, but no reply yet.

Comment

Originally posted by chris667 View Post
                A word of warning, though. I insured the Romahome pre-transplant with Lifesure; £284 fully comp. However, after about six weeks I cancelled it as they wouldn't insure the van post-transplant. They tried to refund less than £100.

I am in the process of recovering more from them, but no reply yet.
                I had a similar problem when cancelling a policy and they offered me a small percentage of the premium back. Luckily I had asked the broker over the phone if I would receive a pro-rata refund should I cancell. They listened to the tapes and agreed to pay most of the premium back.
                I think it is now common practice among insurance companies to only give a small portion of your premium back.
                Some will give a full refund less an amount for the time you have been covered if they can't/ won't insure a replacement vehicle you get.
                Others have sliding scales say 80 percent after 1 month down to maybe only 10 percent after 7 .
                I'm afraid we are all at the mercy of the small print and if they can get out of paying any money back they will . The same goes if you should make a claim.

Comment

Caravanguard came up with a higher than last year price at £398. Tried C&CC who came up with £338 incl UK only breakdown. Caravanguard have matched that so sticking with them this year.

I did say I would not do this back and forward game again but it was not too painful this time. Certainly not going to put any more effort into it though. Still have car, house and buildings to go!!!!

I tried to get a similar quote from a company a few years ago for same vehicle as someone else on here but it was higher and was told it was a postcode weighting issue!!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X