As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips?

Hello,

I've just joined the forum and i'm on the lookout for a C15 Hitop. Any tips on what I should be looking out for to avoid buying a dud?

Thanks in advance

Hello Spindleshanks and welcome to the Forum.
    I had a C15 Hylo as my first Romahome, and it took me a year to find it (before I found this site!). I'm very technically/mechanically minded, but remembered we had a thread not very long ago asking for similar information. Here's the link:http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ght=buying+c15
    Good luck,
    Aileen

Comment

Originally posted by Spindleshanks View Post
      Hello,

I've just joined the forum and i'm on the lookout for a C15 Hitop. Any tips on what I should be looking out for to avoid buying a dud?

Thanks in advance
      Welcome aboard, the first step you have done, joining this forum!
      Having just gone through this process, firstly, look at recent posts from (Graham?) about reshelled units.

Secondly, depending on your budget, I would suggest finding a 1997 or later model to get the uprated cab interior and power steering.

Rust issues are prevalent, but usually quite easily spotted.

Read adverts well, good caring owners tend to produce good comprehensive adverts with lots of information, you don't want to be hiking around the country viewing what an owner deems 'excellent' to find it only fit for keeping chickens in.
      Its a process of time and patience I'm afraid.

They are thankfully simple beasts so most quirks and foibles can be addressed quite cheaply so if you do get caught out of something it shouldn't be catastrophic.

Don't fancy stretching tp a Duo do you?
      Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Thanks for the advice and the welcome

I've just had a look at the link and have already learned quite a bit.

What's a resonable price to pay for a 1996 hitop in good condition?

Thanks again.

Comment

Great Spindleshanks. hopefully someone will help with the price. I note that I've misrepresented myself, I should have said I'm NOT very technically/mechanically minded!!!!!
          Aileen

Comment

Hi,
            look on Preloved.
            Prices range from £3K upwards dependant on mileage and condition.

How much do you want to spend? I suggest £5K will get you a nice older C15 hitop.
            £13K will get you a good young berlingo hitop.

Ian
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              Hi,
              look on Preloved.
              Prices range from £3K upwards dependant on mileage and condition.

How much do you want to spend? I suggest £5K will get you a nice older C15 hitop.
              £13K will get you a good young berlingo hitop.

Ian
              I'm looking around the 5 - 6K mark and I only want a Hitop. I'm looking at one from 1996 tomorrow, but they're asking 8K for it. I suspect that's a bit overpriced then. I'll still have a look though.
              Thanks

Comment

I'm looking around the 5 - 6K mark and I only want a Hitop. I'm looking at one from 1996 tomorrow, but they're asking 8K for it. I suspect that's a bit overpriced then. I'll still have a look though.
                Thanks
                A lot of dealer stock is around the £8k mark, that's pretty par for the course, and remember, that private sales at £8k will be folk who paid around £10-£12k for their Romahome a couple of years ago and don't want to take a big financial hit.

However, I bought a '97 hi top with FSH & PAS with 48k miles on it for a friend for just over £5k two weeks ago, so they are out there, just few and far between. Took a lot of legwork and lots of phone calls/emails.

Your budget at £6k should find you something suitable, just get on with it now before everyone wakes up to summer camping. remember, you are not the only person out on the hunt at the moment.
                Last edited by rubberrat; 03-03-2012, 18:11.
                Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Hello Spindleshanks and welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your search for a romahome. I've a talbot express so can't give any advise on cost etc but friends have an R25 and it's a cracking little van although it would be too small for me and my labrador.

Hope to see you at one of the many gatherings this year. Do keep us updated on your quest.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                    Hello Spindleshanks and welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your search for a romahome. I've a talbot express so can't give any advise on cost etc but friends have an R25 and it's a cracking little van although it would be too small for me and my labrador.

Hope to see you at one of the many gatherings this year. Do keep us updated on your quest.

Di.
                    Thank you, I will keep you all updated on my search. Hopefully i'll be able to squeeze my two lurchers in it somehow

Comment

More lurchers! Maybe I only notice as I have one, but it seems that there are a fair few of us here who have lurchers or greyhounds!
                      Aileen

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
                        More lurchers! Maybe I only notice as I have one, but it seems that there are a fair few of us here who have lurchers or greyhounds!
                        Aileen
                        Blimey, you'll be telling me next you live in Belper. There's quite a collection of lurchers, greyhounds and romahomes here

Comment

Well, we've taken the plunge and bought a 1990 hytop and we collect it next Saturday. I can't wait

No power steering and a fair few miles on the clock, but there was something about it that felt right.

What's the best stuff to use to clean the outside to get rid of the black streaky marks?

Cheers

Comment

Well, we've taken the plunge and bought a 1990 hytop and we collect it next Saturday. I can't wait

No power steering and a fair few miles on the clock, but there was something about it that felt right.

What's the best stuff to use to clean the outside to get rid of the black streaky marks?

Cheers
                            Hi,
                            If it looks and feels right it probably is.
                            I found the best thing for cleaning the body of my Romini is TFR or Traffic Film Remover. Its what they clean trucks with and removes almost everything. Its available in smaller quantities from motor factors although I buy 25 ltrs of concentrate. Be careful to dilute to the right amount otherwise it will take the polish off as well. Follow this with T Cut and a good quality polish and it'll look good all summer.

Peter

Comment

Be careful using Tcut, it is not recommended for use on fibreglass as it contains ammonia and it can react with the gelcoat.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X