As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro fitting a heater to the R20

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro fitting a heater to the R20

After much soul searching have finally decided to fit a heater to my R20. Horrendously expensive but the lack of one has prevented me using my camper at various times.

The thought of somebody though drilling holes in my beloved camper sends shivers down my spine!!! The company have asked when I come to ensure the fuel tank is as empty as possible as they sometimes have to drop the fuel tank (I imagine temporarily) to fit the heater.... OH MY GOD. I worry that I will get it back damaged.

The good news is though that by having it retrofitted I will not have the hot water fitted which I honestly see little point in when you can boil a kettle. This means I will not lose the outside locker to a hot water cylinder and I will not have to worry about draining it for the winter!

I presume that you are having an Eberspacher blown air heater fitted. They may need to drop the fuel tank to drill the mounting holes for the burner unit. All the other bits will be in the offside locker with 2 holes through into the van to draw in the air to be warmed and to blow out the hot air. They will also need to make a connection to the fuel line. Why not speak to Ant. He will be able to advise. We have a very good Eberspacher agent here in the North West and I would trust them to do the job.

I have just seen that you are in the South West, If I was you I would go to Ant.

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter.... absolutely, I am following Ant's advice and going to an agent he recommends.... still worrying.

Comment

Good luck Tentpeg we haven't got heating in our van and have often considered getting it retro fitted but everytime we think about it we come to the conclusion that it is cheaper just to have ehu in winter and take our oil filled radiator with us.

We don't wild camp and generally use campsites with electric hook ups.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

When I was looking at vans last year, I obtained quote for heater retro-fits.

Diesel heater quotes were around £2k but I also had quotes for propane-fuelled which, at £600 for supply and fit, were very much cheaper (and a much simpler job, I was advised).

I bought a van with a diesel heater already fitted and have to say it is wonderful. Just a 10-minute blast raises the inside temperature from 0deg to a snug 12 deg and with the Romahome insulation, this is retained for several hours. I left the heater on overnight whilst -10 outside and it only kicked in three times (after which I had to turn it off because the van was becoming too warm! They are very effective and perfect for off-grid camping, which I do.

Comment

Gas heaters are much cheaper but with the small gas capacity in a Romahome are a bit of a nuisance. Diesel much more expensive to fit but you never have to worry about fuel and they are much cheaper to run.

Peter

Comment

The decision to fit a heater is not an economic decision it is one of convenience and comfort. As far as I am concerned the motorhome itself is a massive luxury... just think of the hotel nights the cost of a motorhome could buy you.... or indeed holidays!

I just hope they are not going to mess up my camper......

Comment

Just a point regarding hotels. One of the main drivers in us purchasing a Romahome was our belief that hotels regardless of cost/grade are basically filthy dirty and just the very thought of them makes my skin creep and no I am not a fanatic as before I retired I have had to "Bunk up" in some pretty choice places, portacabin in the Lybian dessert, hot bedding in the North Sea being just two examples.

Geoff.

Comment

Our main reason for a Romahome is the freedom to be able to do what we want when we want without any previous planning. Ours is always fully loaded and ready to go, we just have to put in fresh food and clothes. We are at the moment camped outside mother in law's house in Grange over Sands

Comment

Exactly, Peter and Geoff think you are on the same page, excellent reasons but not economic ones. The camper van gives us freedom to go when we want with minimal complications and take our own environment along. We can pitch up anywhere with a cuppa and loo avaliable..... luxury.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X