As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I survived the M25!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I survived the M25!

Daughter needed to go from the South Coast to Enfield today - so courage in both hands, I drove her in the R10. First time on the M25 for me. It was Sunday so not too many lorries and the Romahome behaved very well indeed. I am actually pretty pleased with myself as before this year I had never driven on a motorway. Quite enjoying it now! :so happy:

Well done! That is quite an achievement. I find driving very difficult these days, luckily John agrees to do more than his fair share, but even as a passenger I hate motorways!
    Mary

Comment

I also hate driving on motorways so well done. There have been times when I've had to stop when I fouind myself panicking for no obvious reason. Seem to have conquered that now but won't go much over 60 unless having to overtake a lorry.

Last year I was on the M5, on the outside lane overtaking a lorry who was also overtaking. Neither were going much above 50 so I didn't have much choice - wold you believe the idiot behind me started blasting his horn at me as I was half way past. Don't know where he expected me to go but I know where I wanted him to go!! Afraid I wasn't very ladylike!

Di.

Comment

I fully understand your dislike of motorways,the traffic is always so heavy.
        I like to do the pretty route if I can,but there are times when the M-way is fastest and I need to be there.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Can there be any better vehicle for a motorway than a mobile home? All the comforts of home to handle hold-ups and provided you have sufficient food you stand a good chance of survival even on the M25.
          To be serious though. When we operated taxis, customers for airports etc naturally asked for an estimate of travelling time - usually given.
          We would never give an estimate for Heathrow or Gatwick from Chesterfield because of using the M25.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by nutshell View Post
            Daughter needed to go from the South Coast to Enfield today - so courage in both hands, I drove her in the R10. First time on the M25 for me. It was Sunday so not too many lorries and the Romahome behaved very well indeed. I am actually pretty pleased with myself as before this year I had never driven on a motorway. Quite enjoying it now! :so happy:
            Well done!:so happy: I know what it is to be scared of driving in traffic. Long story.

Comment

Well done! I loathe the M25 with a passion and have to admit to having gone on some very long diversions to avoid at times.....but sometimes needs must... well done for biting the bullet and surviving.

Comment

I seem to use the M25 at least weekly to pick up either the M1, M3, M4, A3 etc as both my kids live on South coast and we live North London and we often camp in North too.

It is quite cloggy at times but at others it is really good. I think it may seem a bit more daunting than other motorways as it has so many junctions that are not slip roads but lane changes. This means having to consider very carefully at junctions as to whether the other vehicles are going to change lane. I always slow a bit at these points to allow the 'changers', but have noticed that others continue to overtake and then cut across to leave by next lane.

I like the M40 best to go North because the Satnavs seem to direct folk up the M1 from here, so it seems quieter.

Still if petrol drivers go on strike non of us will be going far soon.

Comment

Well done ,I am full of admiration, I leave all the driving to my husband, but now we have downsized he says I have no excuse anymore. I cant say I am looking forward to having a go but promise to warn you all before I go on the road.

Comment

It's much better driving on your own because if you take a wrong turn, you can keep it quiet! Like today, coming back from Hedge End, I managed to find myself heading towards Southampton instead of Bournemouth. However, came off at the next junction and was soon going the right way and nobody but me will ever know how daft I was ....oh, and anyone who reads the forum ....

Comment

It is understandable but not very advisable to leave all the driving to one partner, you lose confidence. So get out there and do it with a bit of practice you will enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutshell View Post
                        It's much better driving on your own because if you take a wrong turn, you can keep it quiet! Like today, coming back from Hedge End, I managed to find myself heading towards Southampton instead of Bournemouth. However, came off at the next junction and was soon going the right way and nobody but me will ever know how daft I was ....oh, and anyone who reads the forum ....
                        Your secret is safe with us!
                        derek b and Babs

Comment

We were stopped in motorway traffic last year due to an accident up ahead. The news was coming through about a two hour tailback and after about half an hour people started to get out of their cars and stretch their legs. We could see miles ahead an absolutely no movement at all up ahead.

There were 4 young lads in a car next to us and they had a long journey to complete, with a really tight deadline to get to an event. They said they would not be able to stop for food and they were starving. I was able to make them a sandwich each and offer them some water. We became new best friends for an hour!

Before we knew it we were on our way.

Well done to anyone who has overcome anxiety about motorways, by the way.

Comment

I have no problems with motorways, dual carraigeways or single carraigeways. The problem I have is on runways especially at Gibralter a few years ago when I crossed the runway when a plane was about to takeoff. I was stopped by the -=+"!%$ and asked if was was deaf to simple instructions, I said "What"

Comment

Last time I was on the M25, I was in a situation which resulted in it being closed in both directions - for over 2 hours on our side.

A friend was driving me to the airport when a guy came running along the side of the road and dove head first into our windscreen. His face was crushed in the windscreen inches from mine, where I was sitting in the passenger seat.

Fortunately, the glass held, or I might not be here to tell the tale. I was covered in little chips of the plastic that holds the windscreen together, and a few bits of glass, but none cut me.

The unfortunate chap continued over the roof of the car, and ended up on the roadway behind us. Fortunately the cars behind missed him, and next in line was a maintenance vehicle that blocked all the traffic and shut the road down.

A helicopter was brought in to rush him away, for which they closed both directions of the M25.

I was sure I would miss my plane, but the police were very helpful, took my statement right then and actually called for another car to take me to Gatwick. I was late arriving, but the flight was delayed and I had no trouble.

Other than I was still shaking.

The chap survived, with "most of the bones in his body broken". Last I heard the police were not going to charge him, but the driver's insurance company was going after him for the damages.

I hope he got the help he needs.

When I told some friends in England about it a day or two later, they had seen the news story about the horrendous backup it caused on the M25, being closed that long.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X