As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lashing points

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lashing points

I need to fix some strong lashing points in the rear of my HyLo to strap down and secure some heavy, bulky camping essentials between the two benches. Due to their weight of up to 30kg and the force they'd bear if involved in an accident (or heavy braking), I'm reluctant to drill into the moulded plastic lockers which leaves only the floor.

* Has anyone fitted tie-down lashing fixings in their van? If so, what did you use?

* How thick is the floor between the benches and is it ply?

* Are there any pipes or electrics etc running beneath it?

* Or, does anyone have any better ideas?!

The items to be secured include a folding bike which will be used daily so I want to fit something easily accessible and for which I can use simple ratchet straps so items can be easily lifted in/out.

All ideas welcomed!

We bought a couple of these to stop things moving around when we had the romahome.

http://www.towsure.com/product/Milen..._Medium_5091cm

They do 2 or 3 lengths but I can't remember which we needed. They perhaps aren't going to hold things as securely as though. We have continued using them occasionally in our other motorhomers/caravans since too.
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

VACUUM GRIPS for glass etc

I wonder if these grippers that clamp to smooth hard surfaces like glass and car body panels would work on suitably located GRP surfaces? Then you could use ratchet straps or bungees to secure things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUAL-DOUBLE-RUBBER-SUCTION-CUP-GLASS-LIFTING-HANDLE-/330594529504

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        I need to fix some strong lashing points in the rear of my HyLo to strap down and secure some heavy, bulky camping essentials between the two benches. Due to their weight of up to 30kg and the force they'd bear if involved in an accident (or heavy braking), I'm reluctant to drill into the moulded plastic lockers which leaves only the floor.

* Has anyone fitted tie-down lashing fixings in their van? If so, what did you use?

The items to be secured include a folding bike which will be used daily so I want to fit something easily accessible and for which I can use simple ratchet straps so items can be easily lifted in/out.

All ideas welcomed!
        And this from the girl who travelled around with 3/4 ton of rabbit droppings in the back. I have used cargo bars they are effective,you dont need ratchet straps,just fling a blanket over it all and make sur you fit the front bar first,push the load against it then fit the second at the rear to secure.Dont over tighten or you will crack the GRP side lockers,they are not that substantial.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post

All ideas welcomed!
          I put a fixing into the floor of my 2004 Hylo for the dog harness. The floor is plywood over the original metal floor. I used a galvanised staple that goes with a hasp for a padlock together with a high tensile steel bolt and a large washer/strengthening plate. It was fitted on the offside next to the locker, the spare wheel cradle was underneath. Drill down using a hand drill, the wood is no problem and the metal very thin.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Derek; 24-04-2012, 09:02. Reason: Added pic
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
            And this from the girl who travelled around with 3/4 ton of rabbit droppings in the back. I have used cargo bars they are effective,you dont need ratchet straps,just fling a blanket over it all and make sur you fit the front bar first,push the load against it then fit the second at the rear to secure.Dont over tighten or you will crack the GRP side lockers,they are not that substantial.
            Ahhh, but the difference with the rabbit poo is that it was loaded floor to ceiling so in the event of heavy braking or a vehicle roll, it was packed in so tight there was nowhere for it to go!

In the case of a bike, loo, battery etc these are potentially heavy missiles and heavy braking, accident or vehicle roll could hurl these at force directly into the cab area where they could cause an even greater injury than an accident itself, hence they need to be firmly strapped down and secured.

I think the lockers would be too brittle, securing to the cab floor is an option but it's too far forwards and I'm trying to avoid removing the ply floor if possible although I think this might be the only feasible option in order to fit lashing points with bolts secured on the underside of the vehicle.

I like the idea of using a staple as Derek has suggested.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!
            Last edited by karenw; 24-04-2012, 14:02.

Comment

Possible projectiles in the van.

You have raised a very important safety point here, one that had not occurred to me. Thanks. Bill told me about an accident he had been in as a child. The poodle, not securely fastened down (they didn't in those days) went flying straight at the window screen, luckily not sustaining any significant injuries.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who places things such as a box of pans or tins / bottles, not to mention the big tent or an awning in between the two bench seats, in the illusion that they would be safe there. Bedding / clothes get placed on the bench seats.

I do like the idea of some kind of barrier (rather like that used to separate dogs from the cabin in some vehicles) to prevent any of this stuff acting as a missile flying towards our heads in the event of a collision (heaven forbid). A barrier or restraining straps. Making use of the two sets of seat belts in the back seems like a good place to start. Or perhaps wrapping these things in the bedding, on the floor?

Perhaps at the Spring meet, if anyone has solved this problem, they would be kind enough to show me what they do. thanks
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                You have raised a very important safety point here, one that had not occurred to me.
                I do like the idea of some kind of barrier (rather like that used to separate dogs from the cabin in some vehicles) to prevent any of this stuff acting as a missile flying towards our heads in the event of a collision (heaven forbid). A barrier or restraining straps. Making use of the two sets of seat belts in the back seems like a good place to start. Or perhaps wrapping these things in the bedding, on the floor?
                I have also carried items, including the bike, loose in the gangway or on the folded passenger seat, loosely tethered to the door handle - none of which would be safe in the event of an accident hence my determination to fit secure lashing points and do a proper, safe job.

If you have rear seat belts then they will provide a ready-made anchorage point. Unfortunately, my van doesn't have these (or the pullman layout).

I'll be replacing the battery at the weekend (thank you Glen and Maria...!) so will look to see if it's possible to fit any anchorages in the recesses behind the front seats, ie the former footwells where it might be possible to bolt through Romahome's ply floor and the original Berlingo floor. I'd like to look now but in the driving rain and hail it will have to wait.

Comment

It's worth being careful about loose items. I remember reading that Tom Mix, the film star from early westerns, died rich. That is he had a car accident, and a metal case full of money and other valuables hit him on the back of the head and broke his skull

Comment

We had the demountable romahome so all the potential projectiles were seperated from us by the metal back of the cab and to a lesser extent by the fibreglass of the romahome pod. Now we have the caravan all the loose items that go in the boot of the tow car are behind a load barrier, similar to a dog guard but extending down behind the passenger seats. Maybe a dog guard in the romahome could be adapted to fit??
                    Last edited by glenw; 24-04-2012, 23:51.
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Karen, you will not need to remove the plywood, just drill through the fibreglass, plywood and metal floor in the same place as the mounting for the seatbelt stalks of those that have a pullman layout.

Peter

Comment

You could use something like these folding pad eyes(not the ones in the photos they are £23 each,Witchard top marine quality)With a good size backing pad should be ok on the locker sides but would be best on the floor.
                        Joe
                        Attached Files
                        If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

Perhaps this point should be raised with regard to the design of the Romahome pod, as I very much doubt if most owners manage to store everything in the cupboards beneath the bench beds?

Am now considering how one could secure the awning / tent used as an awning when in transit, and how best to re-pack the van to make sure that all heavy / sharp / hard objects are put away as securely as possible.
                          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
                            You could use something like these folding pad eyes(not the ones in the photos they are £23 each,Witchard top marine quality)With a good size backing pad should be ok on the locker sides but would be best on the floor.
                            Joe
                            Thanks, Joe. I've just ordered some very similar lashing points from eBay. They're the same in principle but much cheaper!

Peter: I think we're slowly getting there and I can now see it will be an easy job to fit them behind the passenger seat. Further down the aisle could be more tricky as I'll have to get beneath the vehicle (I think) to bolt through the floor so we'll need ramps. I don't have a pullman layout so no rear seatbelt stalks to take advantage of.

Glen: I also considered the idea of an improvised bulkhead but I want to be able to climb into the cab from the rear, particularly when wilding. Overall it's probably more practical to secure loads carried than 'cage' the van with dog bars or a bulkhead.

Sue: I think you're wise to consider the security of the loads you're carrying too. Some awnings with poles could become a dangerous missile if hurled into the front in the event of an accident. Strictly speaking, I have a few doubts re the security of the lockers in a vehicle roll. I have a cooker in one and suspect the velcro securing the cushion wouldn't hold it in place. If I were designing a van, I would use lockers with drawers on runners which would be more accessible, would dispense with the need for lifting cushions to access the contents and they could be easily secured whilst travelling. (BTW Did you go to Buxworth at the weekend?)

Hopefully it'll be complete within the week. In the meantime, I've been improvising a battery platform, venting and terminal covers for a larger replacement battery.

Comment

Pesonal view only!! Doesn't carting every thing including the kitchen sink about defeat the object of having a small ,well laid out,efficient camper van with a smallish payload.Up to now apart from the toilet behind the seats and occasionly a small windbrake on the floor every thing else in our HYLO goes out of sight.Having said that I have transported all manner of things to various family members all over the country its quite suprising what you can get in the narrow back door or through the cab doors or even the windows!!
                              Joe
                              If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X