As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

our Romahome outside our house.....is it too much to ask ?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

our Romahome outside our house.....is it too much to ask ?

we went to the pictures for the 12 30 (cheaper ) film Salmon fishing in the yemen....a very good one highly recomend...got home in a storm and two doors up builders working with 2vans and a truck...and another loading outside our gate .We dont have drive or garage so i pull along side and with sign language show i want to park in front our house.The builders were loading pipes and wouldnt just roll forward....so is it me or should i not expect to park opposite our front gate ....when we always do ?Our Frankie babs (youngest son)sometimes as its more towny where he lives has to park 3 streets away but that would drive me nuts.Any way i waited and waited until they moved before i parked in my favorite spot and this reminded me that as an ex sparkie we were told to not to park outside other peoples houses...but we didnt mind walking 20 yrds to a house ,Do you have any trouble parking your Romahome as its very rare we do....so i fuss a bit when it happens it might be "cuz Ize old"........Mark

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
    we went to the pictures for the 12 30 (cheaper ) film Salmon fishing in the yemen....a very good one highly recomend...got home in a storm and two doors up builders working with 2vans and a truck...and another loading outside our gate .We dont have drive or garage so i pull along side and with sign language show i want to park in front our house.The builders were loading pipes and wouldnt just roll forward....so is it me or should i not expect to park opposite our front gate ....when we always do ?Our Frankie babs (youngest son)sometimes as its more towny where he lives has to park 3 streets away but that would drive me nuts.Any way i waited and waited until they moved before i parked in my favorite spot and this reminded me that as an ex sparkie we were told to not to park outside other peoples houses...but we didnt mind walking 20 yrds to a house ,Do you have any trouble parking your Romahome as its very rare we do....so i fuss a bit when it happens it might be "cuz Ize old"........Mark
    Trust me Mark,it is cuz yoom be a bit old, nowadays its rare for me to get anywhere near my house.Peeps park there and jump the train into town,not coming back til late or for a day or two if they have had a shandy or two.
    Its the way things are nowadays,no point in fighting it!
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

No problems here, when we moved into our new house we only had room for the car in front of the garage, so we had the front garden tarmaced and had two gates put in so we could get the Dimension in front of the house..............sorted.

I have noticed that tradesmen always have to park as near as possible to the place they are working and normally park on the pavement leaving very little room for a pedestrian to get past.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We did the same. We have a single width driveway so dug up half of the front lawn to create a second, off-road parking space using paving slabs and gravel. With neighbours' cars parked on the road it becomes congested so this was a very cheap and practical solution.

Comment

We had a drive wide enough for a car and a bit, and applied to the council to drop the kerb the whole width of our house. It was already paved before we moved in, so we were just making sure we could utilise the whole area. It also means that people shouldn't park over your drive if they adhere to the Highway Code. These days we just have the car and the van, but it was very useful when we had 3 cars and the van due to adult children still at home. The downside was it cost us around £1000 per kerbstone!
          Aileen

Comment

I'm afraid no one has an absolute right to park on the piece of road alongside their property.
            It is illegal though to obstruct a drive way or entrance WITH A DROPPED KERB.

I have never bought a house without a drive way which, probably explains why my non-drive way neighbours who can afford newer cars than I, need to park in our cul-de-sac. Sometimes making it difficult for me to get by with my modest little Romini. That has often resulted in my being called names and suffering abuse when I have to ask someone to move their car to let me pass.

On the main (rather narrow) 'A' road just up from me a ROMAHOME(!) parks regularly, meaning that if anything bigger than a car passes, oncoming traffic has to stop! It is a main approach to the Hospital too, compromising ambulances.
            There are two sides to every situation, which got far worse when parking without lights at night was introduced, thereby clogging up the roads and introducing hazards in fog etc.
            There. Now I have had my say!
            Jim.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

We turnd our front garden into a hardstanding quite a few years ago when our boys first got cars because we ended up with 4 cars and a caravan and although we have no problems parking on the road we live on a junction and i don't feel that it is safe. The caravan went right down the side of the house (it was often used as a bedsit when my parents came to stay as mum could not climb stairs) then our 2 cars and the boys cars side by side on the front garden. They could move their cars and we could move one of ours without disturbing anyone else. We live in a bog standard 3 bedroom semi.

Peter

Comment

we cant drop the kerb as we have two 40ft trees that our 3 boys planted as kids in the garden that side and the other side is the front room window...ummmmm you dont think about how big trees get .Isuppose i could get a winch and hoist the romahome up and hang it when not in use it may even make the national newspapers........Mark

Comment

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
                  we cant drop the kerb as we have two 40ft trees that our 3 boys planted as kids in the garden that side and the other side is the front room window...ummmmm you dont think about how big trees get .Isuppose i could get a winch and hoist the romahome up and hang it when not in use it may even make the national newspapers........Mark
                  on the subject of dropped kerbs,our council has refused anymore applications as it ruins the look of the street and increases the numbers of cars and they want soil to absorb rain,thats their view anyway! I have a victorian semi with a smallish front garden,too small for a car let alone a Romahome,but I like my garden,and so do my neighbours it seems.
                  When the council wrote explaining its views they said that dropped kerb parking wasnt covered by the highway code but by council byelaws,It is an offence to park across someones dropped kerb and block them in,but not to block them out!!! how about that!!! also the london mayor is talking of making it an offence to park your own car across your own dropped front,i.e if you`ve got it use it and get off the road.
                  Dont lambast me for the councils views,they are not mine!

Comment

We don't have a dropped kerb in front of our created parking space - we live in a Conservation Area and the procedure was too long-winded. However, via a few discreet paint markings, it's possible to line up either vehicle so we can use the dropped kerb from the driveway to access it without bumping on the kerb. We also made a few triangular wooden blocks which could be put into place if/as needed.

Comment

This got me intrigued because, anecdotally at least, one or two neighbours have found themselves unable to exit their drives, when they've been briefly obstructed by "school-runners".

According to information unearthed courtesy of the great god "Google", this is a "Code 27 contravention", but "Code 27 will only be enforced as a result of a complaint". The main reason for that policy seems to be that you may well be parked across your own drive (particularly if you own more than one vehicle), or have given permission.

I've found a couple of references to the "blocked in is obstruction, but blocked out isn't" scenario, but both describe it as a widespread myth.

We bought Artoo0 with the intention of having it as the sole vehicle, but we got home and discovered our drive was just long enough for both the van and our Punto. I wouldn't say that was the only reason we ended up keeping the car, but it was a significant factor in the decision.

Geoff
                      Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                        This got me intrigued because, anecdotally at least, one or two neighbours have found themselves unable to exit their drives, when they've been briefly obstructed by "school-runners"....

Geoff
                        I live three doors away from a primary school and twice a day I can neither get in or out of my driveway! Before I had a 'drive' (I use the term loosely, it's not tarmaced, but an eco shingle drive) I had to park on the road and myself and several neighbours lost our roadside wing mirrors to ppl squeezing past. If I'm out and 3pm comes around, I have to hang about until 3.30 to get back down the road, never mind access my drive. The first time I took out my caravan, lousy timing meant I got back just in time for the 3pm madness, and had the whole estate in gridlock whilst I put my caravan on the drive. Eventually two strong Dads came and helped!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          I live three doors away from a primary school and twice a day I can neither get in or out of my driveway! Before I had a 'drive' (I use the term loosely, it's not tarmaced, but an eco shingle drive) I had to park on the road and myself and several neighbours lost our roadside wing mirrors to ppl squeezing past. If I'm out and 3pm comes around, I have to hang about until 3.30 to get back down the road, never mind access my drive. The first time I took out my caravan, lousy timing meant I got back just in time for the 3pm madness, and had the whole estate in gridlock whilst I put my caravan on the drive. Eventually two strong Dads came and helped!
                          Cor,Jax,I admire your sneakyness,you got two big strong blokes and got them to park your van,while you just posed around looking delish and harrassed no doubt!
                          bet you delay arrivals to coincide with school out every time now!

Comment

We live near the end of a small close, and park 2 cars (one dead and one still in use) and our R20 down our drive, just leaving a space for another vehicle if needed. Our other car, still in regular use, until it dies, is parked (illegally) half on the pavement outside our house. If we parked it (legally) on the road instead, our next door neighbours would not be able to get into their drive (is a tight corner), nor would the people across the road easily be able to come our of their driveway.

Now the real fun starts when our son and daughter's cars pay us a visit. Then we have one parked on our front lawn and one right at the entrance to our drive.

Ok, we do need to get rid of some of these vehicles. Ok, we did once manage with just a honda 90 and occasionally renting a car. But we do try very hard not to inconvenience any of our neighbours with our vehicles. Most of them , thankfully, do likewise.

When we moved into this house in 1974, most houses had one car (or none). Now spouses and grown-up children have at least tripled the number of vehicles coming into / out of the close. I guess this is the case in many parts of the UK?

Time to move house!!!
                            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

This is a sore point as I have just had to drive up and down our avenue to get the right angle to reverse the talbot on to my drive, all because a car was parked directly opposite my drive. The avenue is so narrow that for cars to safely drive up and down those without drives have to park half on the pavement [which, I think, may not be legal but better than smashed wing mirrors]. Everybody does so except this guy opposite who always parks in front of my drive. It's not the first time I've struggled to get the van in or out, usually I grin and put up with it but I'm tired after the journey home so the air was rather blue when I found I couldn't just reverse in.

Still, I've had a cuppa now so feeling more human but one of these days.........

Di.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X