As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome on a slope by order.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome on a slope by order.

Minehead C C site fully booked and it really was as i checked later with the warden giving us a choice of about 7 pitches.This would be normally good odds a we are bound to like one of them .However a slope is often difficult as we pack well and carry levelling blocks but only the normal small ones .The vacant spaces all had the dreaded slope but could easily been countered by parking side on to the post but the warden made it quite clear we had to face onto the post even though the tiny Romahome was no ware near other vans and caravans.
    Shirley and i tried both ways of parking and in the end had to decide to reverse in so as to slide down the bed feet first rather than head first and also cups of tea and Porridge slid my way on the table as my catching is fairly good.The parking pantomime was worth watching as the berlingo spun the front wheels and rearranged the gravel somewhat as it was a short pitch with a steep bank and icould not go back far to roll on to the levellers.When we came back from the sea front later it looked really funny as the romahome looked very nose down and it made a good photo.
    The bubbles in our levels i thought had popped but they are ok now and i have decided not to take 6 house bricks to jack the van up on as that would look even worse on how not to park a van...........Mark and Shirley

I'm with you on this, I can cope with head up, but absolutely not feet up. I really hate the left to right lateral slope (or even right to left!). One of us always ends up with a big gap to the side with both of us trapped on the other side. I've mentioned before my lack of skill with getting on the ramp things, so often cause amusement with other campers when I'm attempting this!
    Aileen

Comment

Originally posted by cordyroy View Post
      Minehead C C site fully booked and it really was as i checked later with the warden giving us a choice of about 7 pitches.This would be normally good odds a we are bound to like one of them .However a slope is often difficult as we pack well and carry levelling blocks but only the normal small ones .The vacant spaces all had the dreaded slope but could easily been countered by parking side on to the post but the warden made it quite clear we had to face onto the post even though the tiny Romahome was no ware near other vans and caravans.
      The parking pantomime was worth watching as the berlingo spun the front wheels and rearranged the gravel somewhat as it was a short pitch with a steep bank and icould not go back far to roll on to the levellers.When we came back from the sea front later it looked really funny as the romahome looked very nose down and it made a good photo.
      Mark and Shirley
      --------------------------------------------------
      What a nightmare! I do hope you took some photos?
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

yes i did but dont know how to download of even do whatever you have to put them on here. I even take my sd card into Morrisons to have photos developed as well .Our 3 sons have often startedto explain how to ???? all sorts of things but i say steady one step at a time, with a gap in between

Comment

yes i did but dont know how to download of even do whatever you have to put them on here. I even take my sd card into Morrisons to have photos developed as well .Our 3 sons have often startedto explain how to ???? all sorts of things but i say steady one step at a time, with a gap in between

I make my son write down step by step instructions for anything to do with the computer!! He gets so impatient with me but he doesn't realise that at my age it takes longer to process and when he shows me by doing it for me he does things so quickly that he's completed the task before I've processed step one!! He keeps threatening to set up remote control from his computer in Liverpool to mine in Ashton u Lyne so he can do tasks for me!!

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
            [/B]

I make my son write down step by step instructions for anything to do with the computer!! He gets so impatient with me but he doesn't realise that at my age it takes longer to process and when he shows me by doing it for me he does things so quickly that he's completed the task before I've processed step one!! He keeps threatening to set up remote control from his computer in Liverpool to mine in Ashton u Lyne so he can do tasks for me!!

Di.
            Our son once set up a remote control thing when we had a problem we couldn't solve and he was 300 miles away, it was amazing to see the cursor on our screen flying round doing things without us touching it.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

i start showing our boys something my digital camera does (all big eyes and magic look on my face) and the boys all smile the knowing smile and say "yes dad ,we told you that about 8yrs ago..

Comment

Shirley and i tried both ways of parking and in the end had to decide to reverse in so as to slide down the bed feet first rather than head first and also cups of tea and Porridge slid my way on the table as my catching is fairly good.The parking pantomime was worth watching as the berlingo spun the front wheels and rearranged the gravel somewhat as it was a short pitch with a steep bank and icould not go back far to roll on to the levellers.When we came back from the sea front later it looked really funny as the romahome looked very nose down and it made a good photo.
                The bubbles in our levels i thought had popped but they are ok now and i have decided not to take 6 house bricks to jack the van up on as that would look even worse on how not to park a van...........Mark and Shirley
                I am with you on this Mark.Minehead site has some very sloping pitches, why they dont level them out when doing winter works I dont know,other sites do!
                I had the same experience there,but moved pitch next day,which annoyed the warden,I have met that character(if its the same one today) working on 2 other sites,he was not the most helpful of chaps,although another camper said he was a temp,and normally the warden assists with wooden blocks.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I am unaware of the details here but I sense some safety implications. People moan about "elf 'n safety" but not after they have been hurt. The immediate concern is cooking while on a slope and the possible movement of the van (!). Perhaps this could be pointed out by the next visitor and if similarly dismissed let me know and they will be visited!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steamtrap View Post
                    I am unaware of the details here but I sense some safety implications. People moan about "elf 'n safety" but not after they have been hurt. The immediate concern is cooking while on a slope and the possible movement of the van (!). Perhaps this could be pointed out by the next visitor and if similarly dismissed let me know and they will be visited!!
                    Ahem,while not wishing to invade privacy,why would you be able to do anything,are you an H&S inspector or an officer of the national club(s)?
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

neither. I work in engineering reliability and safety and until recently chaired the largest Institution safety and reliability group. Participate with other risk related organisations as well as a day job in large scale engineering.
                      Most injuries are incurred in small scale innocuous situations where people just ignore risk or want to be free to kill themselves in the most stupid manner posible.
                      I am acquaited with the HSE board however.

Comment

That was a bit of a conversation stopper, Steamtrap! It is probably amazing the situations people can get themselves into, I imagine!

Barbara Anne

Comment

Its strange how some of their sites let you pitch in any direction,others insist white post to the centre or corner,Whilst at St Davids last year they let a member with a motor home,trailer and small car,pitch up take car off trailer,park trailer and car set up the van,awning and wnidbreaks before the warden decided the van was not centre to the white marker,The member picked up the post moved it 3 foot and said now i am,the warden threatened to throw him off site.He had to move everything 3 foot,the site was nearly empty with no need for him to move anything just a jobs worth warden

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman View Post
                            Its strange how some of their sites let you pitch in any direction,others insist white post to the centre or corner,Whilst at St Davids last year they let a member with a motor home,trailer and small car,pitch up take car off trailer,park trailer and car set up the van,awning and wnidbreaks before the warden decided the van was not centre to the white marker,The member picked up the post moved it 3 foot and said now i am,the warden threatened to throw him off site.He had to move everything 3 foot,the site was nearly empty with no need for him to move anything just a jobs worth warden
                            -------------------------
                            I like his style: 'Take up thy post and walk' and all that.

BUT

I was really annoyed when a big caravan was parked on the pitch next to ours, and they erected their LARGE awning right at the edge, on OUR bit of grass, actually very close to our van. So each neighbour had a patch of grass and we were left with nowt but the handstanding on which our little van was parked.

This was what we returned to, after our walk. Luckily we were able to switch to a (better) pitch, but should not have had to choose whether to put up with it or create a stink. All the later arrival had to do was to observe which way everyone else was pitched along that row. Arrogant and thoughtless.
                            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I've also come across this. Last year I had parked and pitched in a quiet corner, then a family with 6 kids and a very very large tent pitched right next to me - there was plenty of room elsewhere for them to spread out. Instead the bedroom pods to the thing were not that far away from my van. I opened the back door at 1am and yelled at the kids to shut up and go to sleep!

I got an apology the next day. Didn't make any difference though, kids are kids after all. I would have moved pitches and gone somewhere else, but the thought of unpitching caravan and awning was too much to think about. I did get two nights of peace and quiet when they packed up to go home, before I had to do the same.

Re the (very) sloping pitches, I just wouldn't have been able to pitch my caravan on a slope such as you describe. I would have demanded a refund and gone elsewhere, if at all possible. Like Ian says, why don't they just level the pitches out over the winter? It isn't THAt hard, or expensive to do.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X