As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian had a leak!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian had a leak!

Drove in the rain yesterday, having just fitted new wiper blades. We noticed a drop of water fall onto the gear lever and then noticed a wet patch to the right and alongside the roof light. I discovered what appears to be a small pinprick hole in the mastic join between the metal van and the luton. At least thats where I believe it was getting in. It was where the wipers where chucking the water off the screen. Seems to have dried out and a smear of new mastic seems to have done the trick.

I wondered about taking all the old Mastic out and putting in new. Is this to be recommended and has anyone done this. Any nasty surprises with doing this?

Many thanks
    Rick
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Originally posted by saltflybum View Post
    Drove in the rain yesterday, having just fitted new wiper blades. We noticed a drop of water fall onto the gear lever and then noticed a wet patch to the right and alongside the roof light. I discovered what appears to be a small pinprick hole in the mastic join between the metal van and the luton. At least thats where I believe it was getting in. It was where the wipers where chucking the water off the screen. Seems to have dried out and a smear of new mastic seems to have done the trick.

I wondered about taking all the old Mastic out and putting in new. Is this to be recommended and has anyone done this. Any nasty surprises with doing this?

Many thanks
    Rick
    You may have a job getting the old sealant out! it sticks like-well-sealant really!! if a smear of new mastic has stopped the leak I would be inclined to leave as is.
    derek b and Babs

Comment

Rick,
      May be a red herring, but a few days before you picked up 'Brian' I changed the bulb in the off side front top marker light.
      It may have disturbed the seal, but I think this recent rain would have given a submarine a leak!
      Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Originally posted by rubberrat View Post
        Rick,
        May be a red herring, but a few days before you picked up 'Brian' I changed the bulb in the off side front top marker light.
        It may have disturbed the seal, but I think this recent rain would have given a submarine a leak!
        Thanks Mark,following your post I have had a look at both exterior light seals. They appear to fit snugly and are undamaged. Screws tight etc. There were two small areas on the seal where it may have got in. Going to have to expect some routine maintenance with a van 12 years old.

So far most of Brians admirers assumed it was a recent van. Various comments from. Its not 12 years old! to Its fairly new isnt it!
        And when I went to Buy a new car the salesman was more interested in Brian than selling me a car. He wanted a tour and would like to buy one.

Romahomes. "Putting a smile on everyones faces"

Rick
        Last edited by saltflybum; 05-06-2012, 07:34.
        Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X