As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about and R25

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about and R25

As I am new to this forum, please forgive me if this has been asked / covered before. I currently own a Peugeot Nuevo 2 berth motohome which, for a number of reasons, I am considering selling to 'downsize'. I am impressed with the Romahomes and have just seen the R25. My problem is I would also want to use this vehicle as my sole vehicle - so I would welcome your feedback on this. Any issues, good or bad would be of interest - what are thy like to operate/drive on a daily basis? I did consider the R20hi but found the R25 better - and I could stand up in it!

Best Wishes

Richard
    Richard G
    R25 Owner

Welcome Richard. My wife and I are new to Romahoming and have owned a Duo for about 2 Months now. We call him Brian. It's a tad shorter than the more modern R25 but roughly the same size.

We had another car and this has been sold to allow for another car to be ordered. Therefore at the moment "Brian" is our only mode of transport.
    Here are my thoughts although there may be more expereinced posters out there.

Driving wise, it's slower and more van like than a car but I could live with it full time.
    My main concern would be the initial outlay then depreciation as the miles mount up. Although they do hold their prices remakably well this has to be a factor depending on how many miles you do.

MPG would be livable and not far off a decent sized car.

All round visability is not as good as a car.

Parking will require more input especially in crowded car parks and the need to get away from potential dents and scratches from inconsiderate car users.

Insurance may be a tad higer than a car but If you only have the R25 it will be cheaper than running a car as well.

Hopefully there will be some R25 owners out there who will assist you. I like the R25 and it's my next Roma after Brian.

Rick
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Comment

hi

hi we are now on how 4 romahome the r25 u get the bath room and standing hisht miles per gallon do not no. On the new R20 we have now we are torking a bout 50 miles per gallon we us hows as a car as well u just have to look for wider parking bays . the old R20 outlook u can get up to 55 mile a gallon tom denis north yorks

Comment

I have an R25, it is my sole vehicle. I find it amazingly comfortable and very easy to drive, it does about 42-45 to the gallon, and that includes a lot of short trips locally.

We had an R20 Hylo before, which the dog outgrew, it became a bit too cosy for two adults and pooch. The advantage of the Hylo was that it would go under a 6'6" barrier, which is a must for some folk. The height of the R25 has not been a problem for us, but it is something which needs to be considered for a sole vehicle.

I can park in standard parking spaces, with rare exceptions, though sometimes this entails driving slightly over a kerbed boundary as our council is obsessive about vehicles being totally within white lines - no overhanging the back.

I also have a rear reversing camera fitted which gives me a good view of what is behind when backing and parking.

I love the R25, like all small motorhomes there are compromises, but for us the R 25 compromises are ones we can live with.

The other thing you need to be aware of is how often you are stopped in car parks and similar places by folk who are interested in the van and want to ask questions about it - I've even been flagged down before now! ( mind you, this applies to Romahomes in general).

Road tax is about £210, insurance you need to shop around. We currently use CaravanGuard, but Safe Guard offered a very good deal. Our insurance for this year was about £450, but that is because, as well as standard stuff we have protected no claims, roadside assistance, unlimited European cover and new van replacement in the event of an accident where repair is financially not viable, and of course the van itself is still very new.

The rate of depreciation may be slightly greater for us, as we bought the van new, but Romahomes hold their price extremely well, so we felt it was well worth the investment.

Hope this helps
        Last edited by VonUK; 21-06-2012, 12:37.

Comment

If you plan to replace a car completely you need to check whether your insurance will cover commuting to work - I don't think ours does but we don't need that level of cover any more
          Sue

Comment

We are insured with Safeguard for our Romahome. When I was working it included commuting but along with many other motorhome insurances it does not allow me to drive other vehicles.

Peter

Comment

I am insured via the caravan club,and my full comp policy includes commuting,and driving other vehicles,I have a protected NCB, the actual company is AXA.
              I am happy with the caravan club insurance,they paid up full market price plus £2000 for contents when I had a van stolen.
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Re Thinking about an R25

Thank you to everyone who replied to my orginal post. Having seen an R25 it certainly looks impressive - now this might just provoke some discussion!
                Another option I am looking at is the Nu Venture Nu Surf Motorhome.
                I understand its based around the same vehicle but with a different layout. I did read the MMM review on this vs the R20 but praise was made of the R25.
                I'm going to have a difficult choice Nu Surf vs R25 but at this time I'm still in favour of the R25 because of the layout and better fuel economy.

Best Wishes

Richard
                Richard G
                R25 Owner

Comment

Hi Richard

The romahome has a very high quality glass fibre body with a warrenty of 10 years from new... New ventures are built more along the caravan construction which are more prone to water ingress.

Nu ventures do have a proper shower/loo compartment. It really is down to personal taste.

I would be wary of magazine reviews they are often not very balanced.look for yourself and make your own decisions.... when I was looking around they were good for a start point but they were actually not that helpful when it got down to the reality

Comment

Re R25

Thank you for your reply - having seen the R25 again yesterday I am even more convinced it's the one for me.

The build quality, space and overall finish I think is superb - the one piece construction and warranty for a new vehicle is also appealing.

Best Wishes

Richard
                    Richard G
                    R25 Owner

Comment

This thread maybe useful to you

I put it in because I think it illustrates the caution with which magazine reviews should be treated, good or bad. Do not forget they actually survive by advertising subscriptions and they are far from neutral.... also the people concerned have their own prejudices which may or maynot be the same as your own. This thread contains a comment from Brian Bailey on a review.

Click here

Comment

Hello Richard and welcome.
                        We have just purchased a Nu Surf rear door, we did look at the R25 but found the rear seating a bit cramped compared to the Nu Surf.
                        We've been out for a couple of holidays and are extremly pleased with it.
                        If you want a closer look we are in Derby, your more than welcome to come over.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X