As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'99 Duo - what's it like to drive the 1.9d non-turbo?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'99 Duo - what's it like to drive the 1.9d non-turbo?

Hi again all,
    I was a grateful user of the forum when I bought my first Romahome, a 2003 Outlook. I loved it but sold it on to get a bigger 'van for a European tour. Well here I am again, now in The Smoke, and downsizing to a 1999 Berlingo Duo this weekend (maybe!). It's way down in Cornwall and I haven't been able to take it for a spin yet.
    The Duo in question has only done 55k, is equipped with an Eberspacher diesel-fired heater and looks to be in pretty good shape. I drive a 2011 1.6l Berlingo HDi for work so am spoiled by the great drive - so my question is, anybody have one of these 1.9Ds that can reassure me I'll make it up the Alps without having a mechanical hernia?

Thanks in advance - can hardly wait to rejoin the Romahome fold!!
    Jacquie

They plod a bit but will climb anything

Peter

Comment

I have a 1.9 hitop,and it has a top speed of 97mph. I run it up the motorways and its a flyer,mine doesnt plod.Hills? it depends how high and steep and for how long the climb,but sensible gear work keeps the speed up nicely.
      No complaints here.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

No turbo? That's a bonus!
        Turbo engines are more stressed than the same non-turbo, though if anything blows up it is usually the (expensive) turbo. 1.9 diesel engines of any make are generally good for the job, even without a turbo.
        Ian sums it up well in his post!
        Jim.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I class both ours as plodders but I compare them to the Maestro diesel that we used to have. It was a flyer and also very economical but it had a turbo.

I agree with Jim about non turbo engines not being stressed, that is why most of them with regular maintenance seem to go on forever

Peter

Comment

Fun ... remember fun?

Comment

When we bought our Duo 1.9 non turbo I was expecting the performance of an geriatric slug but It appears to keep up with normal traffic and as it has a gearbox, hills can be climbed. Pretty reasonable MPG too on a long run. My local mechanic reckons these engines are good for 300.000 miles with careful servicing and quality oil.

Rick
              Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Comment

SOLD:so happy:! Well, that all bodes very well indeed, thanks very much everyone.
                Just haggling on price now with the owner - lack of full service history is a niggling point, but as you all say, the engines are simple. I just love the look of the Duo with the four smaller windows instead of two large ones - a bit more privacy?
                Counting down the days 'til I pick 'er up!
                Jacquie

Comment

Originally posted by jacsprat View Post
                  SOLD:so happy:! Well, that all bodes very well indeed, thanks very much everyone.
                  Just haggling on price now with the owner - lack of full service history is a niggling point, but as you all say, the engines are simple. I just love the look of the Duo with the four smaller windows instead of two large ones - a bit more privacy?
                  Counting down the days 'til I pick 'er up!
                  Jacquie
                  The Duo is a looker as you say. They are the best looking Romas but I am biased.
                  Rick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                    I have a 1.9 hitop,and it has a top speed of 97mph. I run it up the motorways and its a flyer,mine doesnt plod.Hills? it depends how high and steep and for how long the climb,but sensible gear work keeps the speed up nicely.
                    No complaints here.
                    Hi Ian,
                    I remember chatting with you a few months ago when I first started looking for my next Romahome - we're fellow Big Smokies!
                    Can you recommend anyone in London to do my servicing? I'm gonna stick a new cambelt in straight away (there's no proof when it was last done) and make sure it's all tip top mechanically. Should think about a hab check too - especially with the diesel heater.
                    Best,
                    Jacquie

Comment

Originally posted by saltflybum View Post
                      The Duo is a looker as you say. They are the best looking Romas but I am biased.
                      Rick
                      Oooooh! I LOVE that front skirt. Very smart!

Comment

My pre-loved Duo came with a TB turbo. Most of the time (on hills) it is fine, but now and again it is a real pain. I think there is something wrong with my gear selection technique. If the Duo had a rev counter, I'm sure things would be different. I have never driven or been in a 1.9D non turbo, so I am unable to compare. I agree in what has been said, and if I had the choice I would rather bin the turbo. Having said that, I have not had any turbo or engine problems.
                        I am not long back home from a rare ''Duo'' shopping trip and am well chuffed as to how well it is running. I usually use the other vehicle for the shopping and the Duo, being extra special, is normally used only for holidays etc.
                        Great vehicle which meets or exceeds all my requirements. I would not change it for anything else, so I hope it lasts for as long as I'm able to drive.
                        Tony L

Comment

Two mecanics I have spoken too agree that the 1.9 non turbo is pretty much bulletproof. The 1.6 TD has more power and while again a good motor is more prone to problems. I am only passing on what they said.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by saltflybum View Post
                            Two mecanics I have spoken too agree that the 1.9 non turbo is pretty much bulletproof. The 1.6 TD has more power and while again a good motor is more prone to problems. I am only passing on what they said.

Rick
                            Sounds good, but I'm starting to get cold feet after more conversation with the present owner.
                            The story goes he bought it in March from the family of an elderly lady who owned it. She was suffering dementia and couldn't account for the paperwork
                            ie: any service history. He bought it anyway but hasn't been able to use it as much as he hoped. I just talked with him and he said he found an old MOT receipt from 2008 stating mileage at 54,000. The van presently has a little over 55000. Hmmm. That means the van has been sitting unused, who knows where, for 4 years. That cannot be good!
                            Also what I can't work out - I was planning to go to Cornwall this weekend to view (and probably purchase) it and he rang saying he'd only just sent in the logbook to be changed to his name from the previous owners and it hadn't come back yet. He said he would contact me as soon as it arrived. Why wouldn't he have sent it as soon as he purchased the vehicle in March? He said he just never got around to it as they couldn't find time to get away in it in any case.
                            I dunno. All sounds a bit dodgy to me. And even if all the palaver about the logbook and service history, am I spending a small fortune on a lemon that's been sitting unused with the internal mechanicals rotting for years. HELP! Opinions gratefully appreciated. BTW, it's still listed on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-RO...#ht_757wt_1397

Think I might post this on 'ask ant' as well. I'm almost sure he'd say steer clear, but it just might be a great deal!!! Oh dear.
                            Jacquie

Comment

Hi Jacqui,
                              I am not sure about this one! Have a look at this link on Caravanselecta (and Friday Ads, which is where I picked it up!) http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/Endeca/Ad...aspx?id=473315
                              Does it look familiar and it's in Warwickshire!
                              This aspect would not worry me too much as the owner may not know anything about this cloned ad. I would be more concerned about the current lack of up to date docs, the low interim miles too. Thats a long time to stand unused! There are more around, my own view is that Cornwall suddenly looks like a long way to travel. That's my take on it, be interested to hear others views. I'm sure you'll find a good one Jacqui.
                              All the best
                              Andyvan

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X