As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog lovers

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog lovers

Reading through a number of posts I can not only see that many brilliant ideas have been developed as solutions to problems, but there are also many dog lovers on the Small Motorhome Forum

We hope our new R25 will be ready for collection very soon and one of our main driving forces for saving for our dream is that we have a parrot, two tortoises and now an 18 month old dog, Oreo. We are obviously very mindful to not leave the animals and especially Oreo in our heat filled car but somehow this escaped our mind when thinking it would be great to be able to holiday / travel with them

Please can we pick your brains and ideas of any ingenious ways of keeping the campervans temperature down / the animals cool at times they need to be in the vehicle (if they can't be somewhere with us, at night, etc). We would especially be interested if you have any ideas that will not use the campervans' battery and / or electricity because we would also like to experience 'wild camping'.

Thank you

Originally posted by Truffle View Post
    Reading through a number of posts I can not only see that many brilliant ideas have been developed as solutions to problems, but there are also many dog lovers on the Small Motorhome Forum

We hope our new R25 will be ready for collection very soon and one of our main driving forces for saving for our dream is that we have a parrot, two tortoises and now an 18 month old dog, Oreo. We are obviously very mindful to not leave the animals and especially Oreo in our heat filled car but somehow this escaped our mind when thinking it would be great to be able to holiday / travel with them

Please can we pick your brains and ideas of any ingenious ways of keeping the campervans temperature down / the animals cool at times they need to be in the vehicle (if they can't be somewhere with us, at night, etc). We would especially be interested if you have any ideas that will not use the campervans' battery and / or electricity because we would also like to experience 'wild camping'.

Thank you
    I can only speak from limited experience. Yesterday it was 28 degrees in the sunshine. Firstly We have noticed that Our Duo, Brian, stays a reasonable temperature provided we adhere to a few simple rules. Because we have a silver screen and side window cover we park into the sun allowing the screen to do its work. It does a really good job keeping the van coo and warmer at night. lThe roof light is open as are a number of the windows. The curtains are drawn and silver blinds drawn on any windows where the sun might eventually shine from. We left Brian for a few hours then returned for lunch. The inside temp was 75 degrees which enabled us to use the van. Being insulated and white it does a reasonable job of relecting the sun. I will also look for shade on occasion and use a compass to check where the sun will arc and set etc.
    As for leaving pets well I don't have any at present so I am unable to comment. Doggies can be taken with you but as for the others. Who knows.

Rick
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Comment

We had a Fiamma Turbo vent fitted to our R25 for just this reason. The turbo vent has a thermostat control which you can set so that if the temperature rises above the one you have set it will automatically switch on. It wasn't particularly cheap, but we found it worth it for the peace of mind, although of course it is powered by the leisure battery.

The van itself does stay relatively cool in hot weather, particularly if you put the blinds up at the windows, and the silver screens across the windscreen. The heki light can also be left slightly open and the fly screen pulled across.

For Oreo, you could consider a doggie tee shirt from Equafleece, if it is put on wet it helps to keep the dog cool. Our 2 year old poodle/cocker cross feels the heat as she is black, with a poodle type coat and this works for her,

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by VonUK; 25-07-2012, 16:28.

Comment

I second what has already been said. Silver screens, blinds/curtains, thoughtful parking, ventilation. Make sure the animals have access to water.

Our dog Flora feels the heat, and has less energy these days. She travels in a folding canvas dog crate. Our best ever doggy buy! She is safe when travelling and we do not have to worry about her.

One problem these days is when we leave her in the van we make sure she has plenty of water to drink. We cover the seats with a rug and she curls up and snoozes while we are gone. But if she jumps down from the seat, she seems to have trouble jumping back up again (Scotties only have short legs), so we have to leave a blanket and water on the floor too!!

Obviously we do not leave her in the van in very hot weather. For things like music festivals etc. she is better off in kennels and pops off for a holiday on the farm.

I guess an awning would help for the parrot, two tortoises.
        Mary

Comment

My experiences with keeping dogs cool in our 2 previous large campers lead me to echo all that the others have said...good quality silver screens are excellent.

In addition, I made a pair of ceiling to floor curtains from a fabric that matched the uphosltery on the inside, sewn onto a cream coloured thermal curtain. These were hung from a rail dividing the cockpit from the rest of the van and made a huge contribution to keeping the rear cool. The skylights were always left open when we left the dogs, and in one van we had the side windows that locked on 'ventilation' settings, which was good for movement of air...we reckoned that if anyone tried to break in, the dogs would dissuade them! In the last van, I made a second thermal curtain for the barn doors at the rear as well...bliss to snooze behind with the doors open on a hot afternoon!

I'm currently making a similar, smaller version of the thermal curtain to use in the Berlingo 'stealth' camper.

Good luck!

Comment

If you google "car window grill" there are some grills to let you leave the side window open a little, and I was surprised how cheap they are. The pet vents were less than a fiver.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help and experiences.

We have asked for the Fiamma Turbo vent, so pleased to hear these are good.

I have looked up the items mentioned VonUK and JimD, both look good and very good prices, so thank you.

Vanderella, you wanting a 2nd drink Oh go on then, (seriously thank you, we have gone with Comfort Insurance, by far the best priced for us).

Saltflybum, good to hear some temperature bench marks and also the use of the silver screens, thank you.

Wow, Seawatcher (lovely name), what a work of art

Truffle the African Grey parrot and the tortoises (Greek and Indian) thrieve in the heat, so no problems there thankfully.

Thanks again for your help :so happy:

Comment

Originally posted by Truffle View Post

Truffle the African Grey parrot and the tortoises (Greek and Indian) thrieve in the heat, so no problems there thankfully.
                They all need fresh air though! Heat inside a van can build up similar to that inside a car, so don't forget those silver screens!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  They all need fresh air though! Heat inside a van can build up similar to that inside a car, so don't forget those silver screens!
                  Absolutely, will do Jayjay, thank you

Comment

AnimAlarm

I saw this in a recent Caravan Club Magazine. You can set it to send you a text when the temperature has reached a certain temperature. Temperature and 'phone to be texted are pre-set by you.

It is completely portable so there is no wiring and it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. It is £108 but compared to risks, distress and probable prosecutions if something went wrong temperature wise I think it is well worth the cost. The only small downside is that it needs a SIM Card and credit on the Sim Card in order to send a text plus would not work if you were in an area with no 'phone signal.

Anyway, this is the 'link' you may have to cut and paste it into a new tab though: http://www.animalarm.co.uk/the-animalarm.asp

If that is too much how about using a Min / Max thermometer without pets in the van on a sunny day first just to see what the temperature reaches.

~ Jane
                    When I say I have itchy feet I don't mean I have Athletes Foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cider Gipsy View Post
                      I saw this in a recent Caravan Club Magazine. You can set it to send you a text when the temperature has reached a certain temperature. Temperature and 'phone to be texted are pre-set by you.

It is completely portable so there is no wiring and it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. It is £108 but compared to risks, distress and probable prosecutions if something went wrong temperature wise I think it is well worth the cost. The only small downside is that it needs a SIM Card and credit on the Sim Card in order to send a text plus would not work if you were in an area with no 'phone signal.

Anyway, this is the 'link' you may have to cut and paste it into a new tab though: http://www.animalarm.co.uk/the-animalarm.asp

If that is too much how about using a Min / Max thermometer without pets in the van on a sunny day first just to see what the temperature reaches.

~ Jane
                      Thank you Cider Gipsy, that looks really good

Comment

Oh how lovely to have all those animals in your van, I hope I bump into you sometime so I can see them all. Our dog Jimmy usually keeps coolish with the window open at the top of the van (R20) when we are parked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                          Oh how lovely to have all those animals in your van, I hope I bump into you sometime so I can see them all. Our dog Jimmy usually keeps coolish with the window open at the top of the van (R20) when we are parked up.
                          Thank you Megan; yes will hopefully bump into you sometime We wondered about the roof window, but unsure because of the unpredictable rain... Especially in our English summers

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X