This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbing C15 Romahome cupboards

Well I got to work clearing and sorting Jeff yesterday. Imagine my horror to discover the loo was sloshing and full, then imagine my relief when I realised it was only full of pink clean flush liquid - phew!

Anyway, the cupboards are a bit of a mess, particularly the upper ones. One has completely fallen off its hinges and the other was on its way too, so I prised it off so I can get them both on fresh, new stainless hinges. They were both hung on little soft metal rivets which were an absolute bugger to remove. I basically had to squish away the heads with pliers, then bash them through with a small screwdriver and hammer.

While it's no problem filling the holes with a bit of epoxy filler, I have no idea how to fix on the new hinges Obviously I don't have whatever riveting machine did it in the first place! The only solutions I can think of are either tiny nuts and bolts, gripfill, or place a strip of ply on the inside of the cupboard and door and screw into those. Am I being thick - is there a better way?!

I would also like to replace the gross 'carpet' in the cupboards with some nice wipe-clean lino - would that be a problem with condensation?

Finally, do anyone have any great tricks for getting these damn rivets out? I also have broken magnet catches which I want to replace but can't remove! Also, at some point I'd like to replace all the higes as they're rusting and getting nasty rust stains on everything.

Actually, looking at Screwfix, rivetters are only £15 - shall I just learn to rivet?!

Can I drill out the old rivets, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrety View Post
      Actually, looking at Screwfix, rivetters are only £15 - shall I just learn to rivet?!

Can I drill out the old rivets, perhaps?
      Hi Feretty,
      You drill the heads off using a drill bit the same size as the rivet shank then punch the remainder through, you may need to hold the back of the rivet to stop it turning, if you can't hold it rotate the the drill in anti clockwise circles whilst drilling.Try to avoid drilling through the original hole as this inevitably makes it larger than you want it for the replacement rivet.Also if there is a mandrel(centre core, the bit you put in the rivetter) still left in the rivet punch it out if you can before drilling as depending on the type these can be quite hard.
      Sorry if this seems a drawn out explanation for a simple task.
      Joe
      If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

Sounds a good explanation to me - thanks!

The new hinges have holes in different places though, so I will need to fill the old ones and make new ones anyway. I think I am going ti replace with screws backed with wood where necessary though. The reason is I can't actually re-rivet all of the hinges as they are riveted into a thick area - hard to describe! I guess originally they were riveted through a single thickness of Grp, then the inside of the cupboards backed with wood, then Grp laid over the lot, basically sealing one side of the Rivets in!

Comment