As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what roma home to buy

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    what roma home to buy

    HI iam a new member to your site, the reason being, my wife and i are looking at to buy a Roma home, to travel between sweden and uk in winter time, theres many reasons why we are choosing the roma home, my questions are what year was good and more reliable, diesel or petrol choice, if you can fit a tow bar, and what to look out for when buying second hand, have been looking at a 1986 model with only 89000 miles on clock diesel 1800cc, Would this be a good choice. thanking you and look forward to your coments ALF.

    #2
    Hello Alf

    Welcome to the forum, not sure about which Romahome you need to buy it depends on your own personal tastes. Some people like the hylos as they can get under height barriers or in garages etc, but others like the high tops because you get extra storage. There are C15's, Duo's, Outlooks with or without toilet options. Some people like having awnings to make more space, the combinations are endless really.

    Have you seen our website www.smallmotorhome.co.uk lots of tips on there for camping in Romahomes.

    Regarding tow bars, have a look at this thread where Ant is recommending a tow bar fitter for a romahome.

    http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=560

    Hope you manage to find a van you like, all the best.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by alf View Post
      HI iam a new member to your site, the reason being, my wife and i are looking at to buy a Roma home, to travel between sweden and uk in winter time, theres many reasons why we are choosing the roma home, my questions are what year was good and more reliable, diesel or petrol choice, if you can fit a tow bar, and what to look out for when buying second hand, have been looking at a 1986 model with only 89000 miles on clock diesel 1800cc, Would this be a good choice. thanking you and look forward to your coments ALF.
      Hi Alf

      The first Romahomes were dismountables on little trucks, Bedford Rascal and the like, these were nearly all petrol. The later Romahomes are mostly diesel and very reliable. The one you have been looking at sounds like a Citroen C15 base vehicle, their one little weakness is rust. Wings, bonnet and door skins are straightforward but engine bulkhead etc can be very expensive to fix. I would recommend checking very carefully before parting with cash. Some early C15 GRP bodies have been transferred to newer vans because of rust, this is not approved by Romahome, they may be OK but it is difficult to check if the resulting job is as strong as the original. The later C15's had power steering which many people prefer.

      A Berlingo based Romahome would be my preference, they started in 1997 and are still going strong.

      You can fit towbars to the C15 and Berlingo Romahomes for little trailers but not to tow a caravan.
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

      Comment


        #4
        Many thanks derek

        Originally posted by Derek View Post
        Hi Alf

        The first Romahomes were dismountables on little trucks, Bedford Rascal and the like, these were nearly all petrol. The later Romahomes are mostly diesel and very reliable. The one you have been looking at sounds like a Citroen C15 base vehicle, their one little weakness is rust. Wings, bonnet and door skins are straightforward but engine bulkhead etc can be very expensive to fix. I would recommend checking very carefully before parting with cash. Some early C15 GRP bodies have been transferred to newer vans because of rust, this is not approved by Romahome, they may be OK but it is difficult to check if the resulting job is as strong as the original. The later C15's had power steering which many people prefer.

        A Berlingo based Romahome would be my preference, they started in 1997 and are still going strong.

        You can fit towbars to the C15 and Berlingo Romahomes for little trailers but not to tow a caravan.
        Thankyou very much for that valued information i have taken on board and will be doing checks, i will let you all know how things turn out Best Regards Alf

        Comment


          #5
          many thanks to my question

          Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Hello Alf

          Welcome to the forum, not sure about which Romahome you need to buy it depends on your own personal tastes. Some people like the hylos as they can get under height barriers or in garages etc, but others like the high tops because you get extra storage. There are C15's, Duo's, Outlooks with or without toilet options. Some people like having awnings to make more space, the combinations are endless really.

          Have you seen our website www.smallmotorhome.co.uk lots of tips on there for camping in Romahomes.

          Regarding tow bars, have a look at this thread where Ant is recommending a tow bar fitter for a romahome.

          http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=560

          Hope you manage to find a van you like, all the best.
          thanking you for your reply iam sure i will be using much more in the future a valued one at that and when in uk perhaps visit your show rooms and stores Best Regards Alf

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by alf View Post
            thanking you for your reply iam sure i will be using much more in the future a valued one at that and when in uk perhaps visit your show rooms and stores Best Regards Alf
            Hello again Alf

            We haven't got a show room or stores, we are just Graham and Pauline who created a website about our experiences in the various Romahomes we have owned, then later we added this forum for people to chat about their small motorhomes.

            Funnily enough we get a lot of people who get confused and want to know if we have any Romahomes for sale and how much they are, perhaps we ought to start selling them.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Hello again Alf

              We haven't got a show room or stores, we are just Graham and Pauline who created a website about our experiences in the various Romahomes we have owned, then later we added this forum for people to chat about their small motorhomes.

              Funnily enough we get a lot of people who get confused and want to know if we have any Romahomes for sale and how much they are, perhaps we ought to start selling them.
              One for sale in the For Sale threads!!

              Comment


                #8
                One for sale here also with video.... price seems a bit steep though for the year.

                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-ROMAHO...item255a0926f5

                This one starting £4.5k cheaper same year?

                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Berlin...item2559e1bd49


                Tony Anchorman
                Last edited by anchorman; 16-04-2010, 22:11.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hey there Tony........

                  Did the boat sink??? What's the news??

                  Cheers

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Sue

                    Viewing today (Sat) picking up Thursday, Wolverley Friday/Sat.


                    Tony Anchorman

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Sue

                      Just back from viewing, a couple of minor changes, the shower curtain rail now goes right round the toilet area instead of just across the van and the top cupboards are now plunger type locking rather than the brass handles.
                      Favourite toy is the reversing cam with monitor on the centre mirror.
                      Very impressed with the overall build quality.

                      Tony Anchorman

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I am wondering what it will be like to drive as the driving position is very low.

                        Build quality is a strength of Romahomes and it is good to hear that is unchanged.

                        Have they sorted out an infill cushion between the passenger and drivers seat to make up the double bed?

                        You must be very excited that it is finally here, it is a beautiful home very envious.
                        Last edited by Tentpeg; 18-04-2010, 06:55.

                        Comment

                        320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                        Collapse

                        728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X