As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety of gas heater?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety of gas heater?

Hi, I don't use the LPG gas bottle with my C15 because it is 20 years old so I don't know how safe the pipes would be and I read that they should be changed every 2 years. I use EHU on site and when I'm just having days out not on a site I use the gas canister type ring for boiling water and cooking. I thought I'd buy a heater that used the same type of canister, so I got one today and it works a treat BUT silly me, I read the box while sitting there getting nice and warm and it says, 'for outdoor use only, mountaineering, fishing etc and only in a well ventilated area. Have I wasted my money? I use the same type of canister for my gas ring in the caravan for years so assumed that as long as there is adequate ventilation that this is the same. Any advice would be welcome thanks,
    Bunny. (And warm Miffy)

Heating

Bunny is not your Miffy fitted with an Eberspacher warm air heater this is the equivalent of a balanced flue central heating boiler it is used in tens of thousands of lorries and motor caravans the newer ones run of diesel but yours may be gas this heater is far safer to use than any other type of gas heater certainly more so than a free standing heater most people I have spoken to who have tried this type of heater complain of headaches whilst using the heater so be warned the confined space of a small van is not the place to use one of these, To have a Eberspcher heater installed you would be looking at more than a thousand pounds possibly double that for a diesel one.
    The only part of the gas installation that requires regular changing and checking is the rubber connecting hose this is a simple task to have this replaced but it may be ok there should be an expiry date along the side of the rubber hose.

If you do not have a Regulator for a Camping Gas gas bottle I have one you could have free of charge

Regards
    Alf

Comment

Hi Alf...re heater.

Hi Alf, We had this conversation when you were at my house (!) and I thought that short term the little heater would be OK but now that you've got me worried I'll probably have the tube (?) changed to a stainless steel one as you suggested and use gas from the bottle provided in the locker. It's empty but I have obviously got one to exchange so that's not a problem thanks. If it's not safe to use the canister heater, would I be better not using the same type of canister for cooking either? I always make sure I've plenty of ventilation but still don't want to take a risk. Is there not the same problem from LPG gas. (If it's not LPG gas I apologise but as you can tell I'm very new to this!
      Thanks Alf, you're a gem.

Comment

Heating

Originally posted by Bunny View Post
        Hi Alf, We had this conversation when you were at my house (!) and I thought that short term the little heater would be OK but now that you've got me worried I'll probably have the tube (?) changed to a stainless steel one as you suggested and use gas from the bottle provided in the locker. It's empty but I have obviously got one to exchange so that's not a problem thanks. If it's not safe to use the canister heater, would I be better not using the same type of canister for cooking either? I always make sure I've plenty of ventilation but still don't want to take a risk. Is there not the same problem from LPG gas. (If it's not LPG gas I apologise but as you can tell I'm very new to this!
        Thanks Alf, you're a gem.
        Bunny with cooking you are using gas for a short time but using for heating you tend to leave the heater on for longer spells, the heater you have installed vents used gas fume outside not inside, whilst you have the existing gas hob & grill why not use it, the cannister one you have is ok for a spare should you run out of gas ?? I think there is only room for 1 bottle in your gas locker or to use outsie in your awning if needed, is there a regulator on the gas hose in the locker or on the gas bottle a blue thing with a hose barb and knob type tap on the top of it.
        The only downside to the Eberspacher is its heavy on the battery.

Alf

Comment

Fridge Vent

Bunny whilst looking at Miffy I showed Trevor the fridge vent was fitted upside down, ... with the drain hole at the top ? have a look here at diagram 8 and you will see what I mean

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/Resource...c%20fridge.pdf

it is fitted by means of self tapping screws so it will be easy to refix smear some Silicone on the underside whilst refixing.

Did you get a safety check when you bought Miffy or was it a private sale

Alf

Comment

Why don't you just get the LPG system checked out at a caravan/MH service place, who will replace the gas pipes - or get in a mobile engineer to replace the pipes? Then you will be able to use your van as it should be used, and without worrying about the gas side of it. A mobile engineer doing a habitation check will usually cost a fair bit (it cost approx £70 for my caravan) but well worth it for the peace of mind. They will check the EHU side as well, and also the fridge etc. So all will be well. A small amount of money well spent.

Comment

Bunny we have one of those gas heaters you mention, they are fab for a tent but if I were in the van I'd have at least the roof vents open.. One thing I would say though is that you get a lot of condensation with them which is something to be wary of.

Comment

Thanks again Alf, Bryony and jayjay...

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                Bunny is not your Miffy fitted with an Eberspacher warm air heater this is the equivalent of a balanced flue central heating boiler it is used in tens of thousands of lorries and motor caravans the newer ones run of diesel but yours may be gas this heater is far safer to use than any other type of gas heater certainly more so than a free standing heater most people I have spoken to who have tried this type of heater complain of headaches whilst using the heater so be warned the confined space of a small van is not the place to use one of these, To have a Eberspcher heater installed you would be looking at more than a thousand pounds possibly double that for a diesel one.
                The only part of the gas installation that requires regular changing and checking is the rubber connecting hose this is a simple task to have this replaced but it may be ok there should be an expiry date along the side of the rubber hose.

If you do not have a Regulator for a Camping Gas gas bottle I have one you could have free of charge

Regards
                Alf
                Hi, I do have a regulator on the bottle which came with Miffy. It's only a small bottle because the locker is small but I will think about having it all checked out after everything you, jayjay and Bryony have said. I used the canister gas ring in a caravan for years because I didn't bother with LPG gas in that either as I always used EHU (from my dad's garage) and if I was boiling spuds I'd have it going for 20 mins or so but didn't have a problem. Maybe I didn't read the instructions on that either and should have only used that outside! I always had plenty of ventilation though. I think I'm going to have a gas ring and heater for sale!

Thanks everyone, Bunny.

Comment

Eberspacher Heating

Bunny, ... I have been thinking if my memory serves me correctly the thermostat for the older Eberspacher gas fuelled heaters was about 2 ½” square with the dial on the front if you have the newer smaller type with 3 push buttons on the front it will be more than likely a Diesel fuelled heater if you go out and try it you have no gas so if it works it is Diesel just turn both your 12v switches on, ... these heaters do require a good 12v supply so it may be better to connect your hook up lead whilst trying it out

Good Luck
                  Alf

Comment

We have both the cooker ring and gas heater that run on cartridges, but we only use them both in the awning. The small cooker is handy in the hot weather to save overheating in the van, we use it outside or in awning. The heater only for about an hour at night, also in the awning when it drops down cool. Must say we have never used either in the van, n never will. But they are handy

Comment

Heater in awning.

Originally posted by Suewho View Post
                      We have both the cooker ring and gas heater that run on cartridges, but we only use them both in the awning. The small cooker is handy in the hot weather to save overheating in the van, we use it outside or in awning. The heater only for about an hour at night, also in the awning when it drops down cool. Must say we have never used either in the van, n never will. But they are handy
                      Thank you Suewho, I have an awning so will use the heater in there if needed. When I've used the cooker that runs on cartridges I always have the top vents and top of back door open so plenty of ventilation. Thanks for reminding me I've got an awning; I'm sure it will get used in there.
                      Cheers, Bunny.

Comment

Gas Heating

Bunny its a Propex heater you have more than likley the 1600
                        here is a link for the instructions for use

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/pd...ns_issue_5.pdf

Alf

Comment

It seems to me that instructions which say "outside use only" are to safeguard the manufacturer from claims if the item is used where ventilation is inadequate.
                          Since Motorhomes and caravans etc. are constructed with open flame hobs, built -in ventilation should be adequate for the use of ovens and hobs, whether fixed or portable.
                          Although the propane or butane gas is not poisonous in the way that coal gas used to be, a build up of unlit gas in confined spaces can be dangerously explosive, which applies to leaks etc. in any gas system. Portable or fixed.
                          Fixed gas heaters (and Fridges etc.) are invariably exhausted externally because they are used for longer periods of time, burning free oxygen in the air. Discharging the exhaust gases outside means fesh air (oxygen) is drawn inside to replace them, thus eliminating the only life-threatening problem - of asphyxiation
                          Using fixed or portable cooking appliances in a caravan or motorhome should not be a risk as long as there are no gas leaks.
                          Jim.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

The built in gas appliances are vented to the outside of the van, portable ones obviously vent inside. The problem is not due to possible gas leaks but to the possible build up of carbon monoxide within the confined space of the van - this is a silent odourless deadly killer.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fossil fuels are burned and combustion is incomplete - the flame should be blue, a yellow flame indicates poor combustion. Even when the stove or heater is working properly small amounts of CO could be released into the surrounding atmosphere.

Whilst using such an appliance for a short period of time e.g. whilst cooking should be OK, it would not be wise, for example, to leave a heater on for a long time.

To be fair, the deaths that have occurred in recent years tend to be related to barbecues (burning charcoal gives off quite a high level of CO) and/or use of camping stoves and heaters in modern synthetic tents with little or no ventilation.

Comment

[QUOTE=Caz;52329]The built in gas appliances are vented to the outside of the van, portable ones obviously vent inside.

Since when did ANY gas hobs and grills or even ovens vent outside? An impossibility because of their nature.
                              I did not mention CO (Carbon Monoxide) because as long as the flames are burning clean and BLUE the LEGALLY SPECIFIED ventilation incorporated by the van manufacturer should cope (unless fixed appliances AND portable appliances are used at the same time - overloading the provided ventilation). Serious quantities of Carbon Monoxide will only be produced in quantity where YELLOW flames are giving incomplete combustion.
                              Jim.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X