This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Luck

How's this for bad luck. In September Songbird and I bought a 2001 Duo Plus Hylo, but it leaked through the cab light. It went back to Southampton 3 times, each time in appeared to be cured. After the 4th leak we gave up and changed to a 2002 Duo Plus with fixed roof.

It has been great, no leaks or other problems until today when I took out the offside passenger seat and tried to install the fibreglass locker base. The joining bolt holes do not line up. A previous owner elongated one of the holes, but it must have taken a lot of pushing and shoving to get them to line up. The flange on the fibreglass overlaps the seat runner.

For Wolverley I think we will use it with the base loose as it is not practical to run with the locker on the nearside and passenger seat on the offside. It would be too awkward accessing the seat from the cab passenger door. For travelling, the spare seat cushion can stand behind the drivers seat to stop the locker sliding forward when braking.

I wonder what else can go wrong

Despondent Ann

Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear about this. Perhaps someone at Wolverley will be able to suggest something - they're very handy with things y'know! I think there will be some other Duo's to look at, perhaps that will give some clues as to how to fix it.

I still have doubts that the roof on my caravan is fixed and not leaking, so I'm taking a tarp along with me!! There's always something, isn't there? And I've only just discovered that the front window has been cracked on the outside and fixed at some point before I bought it. The seal on this double glazed window is therefore not a vacuum any more and it steams up! Ah well. Hopefully it won't turn into a goldfish bowl too soon!

Chin up, it will get sorted at some point, so don't worry!

Jayjay

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkletoes View Post
      The joining bolt holes do not line up. A previous owner elongated one of the holes, but it must have taken a lot of pushing and shoving to get them to line up. The flange on the fibreglass overlaps the seat runner.

Despondent Ann
      Sorry to hear that Ann, sounds like Freeborn put one in that hadn't been fitted to your van. Maybe a muddle or original damaged? Have you contacted them? Not a big problem to fix, they sometimes send fitters out to you, worth asking (or demanding )
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Thanks Jayjay and Derek. Yes, I have been in touch with Freeborn and depending on builders' schedules (basement flood repairs from 18 months ago!!) and van accident repair (side skirt replacement) I may have time to go to Southampton before Wolverley. Meanwhile, I have placed the locker in loose and wedged it with the cusion for the other not installed locker so it stays put whilst driving. If we have to use it loose, I just hope Songbird doesn't wriggle too much in bed. I will be using the side where the passenger seat folds down and the cushion is placed on top.

On top of this, Songbird and I were out for the day today looking at gardens, and got home to find her husband missing (he has vascular dementia, but not too bad at present). We were about to ring the police but found a small card saying 'incident report'. Her husband had an argument with a slow moving car and is in hospital. No broken bones fortunately, but he can't remember what happened. We are still hoping to make the Wolverley meet, she needs the break. I'll hammer on the doors of respite care if necessary so that she can still come.

We must have done something awfully bad in a previous life because these problems are only the tip of the iceberg of what has gone wrong recently. Still you must keep smiling and not give up.

I may have found another recruit for the forum, as a Hylo was in the parking field and we told them how friendly and helpful everyone is.

Ann

Comment

Hi Ann

Sounds like you and Songbird aren't having much luck just lately, I hope you manage to get the van sorted and Songbird gets some respite care for her husband and you both get to the meet it sounds like you could both do with a break to take your minds off things.

Thanks for recommending the forum, as you say lots of friendly help and advice on here for newbies (or oldies for that matter).
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Well. the bad luck continues.

Some time ago, someone damaged the corner of the nearside skirt. The Accident Repair Workshop decided to order a new replacement, with delivery as minimum 3 weeks. After a wait of 6 weeks. The van was collected yesterday, and low and behold, the wrong part has been sent. It is for a model with a wider rear door, so has a dip at the back. I am assuming it is just a matter of two items being sent to the wrong destination.

As the van has not been returned today, I'm hoping the right part has arrived or will arrive Friday, the crack at the corner of the skirt is progressing, so I would rather have the new part fitted before the long journey to Comberton.

Ann

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X