As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secondhand Romahome

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondhand Romahome

I'm new to this forum and new to Romahome. I have driven 13 times to and from Greece in a type 2 VW camper which sadly bit the dust two years ago. My partner & I are hoping to buy an old Romahome and begin those wonderful journeys across France & Italy once more. We don't have much money and we are currently looking at Romahomes up to £6000 as a preferred option and we plan to use the free 'aire de services' along the way.

I knew a bit about VWs, but I know nothing about Romahomes. I accept that we will inherit a few problems, but what, in particular, should I be looking for when buying one such as this? What are the weaknesses, mechanical or otherwise, what should be avoided at all costs, and does anyone here have anything for sale that would suit?

All advice would be welcome ...

Many Thanks,
    Steve

Best advice is to go to Ant of Avon Motorcaravans, he is the Guru of all things Romahome, only deals with Romahomes and is held in very high esteem by members of this forum

Just looked on his site, he has a C15 listed at £4445.
    Last edited by VonUK; 17-10-2012, 20:29.

Comment

New to Romahome

I started two years ago with a 2002 Hylo from Ant, in Bristol, ( and I am in Morecambe!!) and haven't looked back. The basic design is good and the Citroen mechanicals seem sound. Most purchase advice is commonsense but you will get from Ant what you pay for. Obvious signs of age, on upholstery and carpet will relate to how much you pay, and the Citroen bits will have seen some wear if you look carefully you may well find some built in extras that will be a bonus. Enjoy !!

Comment

Just had a quick look at this site's 'for sale' thread, there are a couple there in your price range.

Comment

The main problem with older Romahomes is rust - in all the usual places.

Peter

Comment

Thanks to everyone - any further advice at all would be appreciated.

Steve

Comment

Hello,
              I am also a regular traveler to Greece, and have done the trip in both T2 & T25 (aircooled).
              You will know well that although aircooled VW's are temperamental, at least they can be fixed by most back street mechanics in most countries, a better bet than modern computer-laden fodder if it conks out somewhere in mainland Greece.

£6k is a fair budget for a C15 based Romahome, but if you are lucky (Very Lucky!) you might just find an early Berlingo based Duo which would hit just the right spot. Enough power for the Alps and Greek mountain roads (I don't miss 3 hours in first gear up a Greek mountain in an old VW!)
              The 1.9d Berlingo Duo will give you the old fashioned technology that you'll be used to, but the bonus of 40MPG + rather than the painful low 20's of a T2/T25. Start looking... take your time and enjoy!
              Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

if you did want a c15 1998 ish they do vary as the one we had it had very little rust just a few specks along the front bonnet the rest very sound.However our friends had a c15 romahome 1993 and that one was full of it .The price of £6000 should get you a tidy one and as i have said many times.......the best money you will ever spend is on a Romahome....hope you get one ok we are sure you will love it...(we had a VW in the 1970s) .........Mark and Shirley.....the design in the living area of the romahomes is brilliant ...trust us

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X