X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awning for R40

Hi
    I'm looking for an awning for my R40. I've looked at various ones and I'm not sure how to attach them without having any rain gutters or channelling at the rear end of the van.
    Does anyone have any experience of putting an awning on an R40 and any recommendations about the type?

Hi Blackpoodle.
    I did have a driveaway awning made for an R40 owner, it needed to be quite a big beastie to go over the back of the body. I doubt it would stand too much wind and certainly would be a two man job to put it up. Kingwood Canvas in Bristol made it for me at a cost of about £550.
    I think you'd be better taking a smaller frame tent that could be put close to the R40 and save on the amount of weight you can carry in the vehicle.
    Ant

Comment

Hi blackpoodle

Welcome to the forum, lots of friendly advise on here. We haven't got an R40 so I can't really advise you but there are several people with R40's so it's nice to see another one on here.

We have a selection of awnings suitable for motorhomes from Amazon on our forum shop here:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ng=UTF8&node=2

Hope you manage to find something suitable.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi blackpoodle and welcome to the Forum from anothe R40 owner. We decided against a drive away awning for many of the reasons Ant gave and went instead for a Sunncamp Handy Tent, see
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunncamp-SunnCamp-Handy-Utility-Tent/dp/B001A4PIOI
        (Dont forget to log onto Amazon through this Forum)
        It depends what you need the extra space for, in our case a dog kennel if it is wet or hot; a storage area for chairs and table and, hopefully a sunshade area to sit under for when it is very hot, (probably in France). We have used it very sucessfully for the first two, awaiting test with the third. It is very stable and put up and pegged down in about 10 mins.

Would be interested in your experiences of the R40 compared to my write up on the Smallmotorhome website. By all means send me a Private Message if you want to compare notes.
        Colin

Comment

That is in the forum shop here:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/smallmoca...ail/B001A4PIOI
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Blackpoodle

We are awaiting delivery of our R40, in early May and can't wait ! We have also been thinking about a suitable awning so would be interested to hear which one you decide to go for and how you get on.

This will be our first motorhome so may need to ask your advice in the coming months if that's ok ? Yours and Niloc's- who also owns an R40.

I have learnt so much since joining this forum and you will find everyone more than helpful and willing to pass on their expertise.There is an awful lot of knowledge between them ! Disappointed that we are not able to make the Wolverley meet as we won't have Maddie the motorhome in time. It would have been nice to meet everyone, maybe next time.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on.

Mandy

Comment

Hi Niloc
              I had wondered about the utility tent as we really mainly want it for storage and somewhere for the dog to sit but wondered if there'd be problems on sites which don't allow tents. Do you back up to it and use the canopy as a cover for the door or pitch at a distance?
              I've been looking at a Royal Kensington driveaway at Riversway which appears to fit the bill but need to go and do some more detailed measurements.
              I will look at your write up about your experiences with the R40 and get back to you by private mail

Comment

R40

Hi Blackpoodle
                Wehave not had any problems on sites that don't take tents, possibly as it is obviously a storage tent. The attached picture shows how we normaly use it, it is not quite high enough for the R40 door to fit under.
                Colin
                PS are you going to the Roma Club AGM?
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, thought I was going to buy a storage tent and went to Riversway Leisure in Preston. They were brilliant and came out, measured the van and we worked out that the Riviera Mobil 300 would fit. Tried it on the drive and it fits fine. Most difficult bit is getting high enough to throw the tunnel over the roof (used ladders to make sure it fitted this time but hopefully an extendable brush stale whilst standing on the step will suffice for normal use).
                  Planning to try it properly this weekend and will feedback next week (with a pic if my IT skills are up to it!

Niloc, I have messed up my roma club membership (didn't put the cheque with membership form. Gill let me know and I thought I'd sent it but discovered it yesterday still in the cheque book) so I'm not yet a confirmed member and hence haven't had details of the AGM.

Comment

Hi Blackpoodle
                    Glad you sorted the awning you wanted, love to see it. The details of the Roma AGM are on the Roma Club website, don't know if it too late to send cheque and book if you want to go, worth a try.
                    Colin

Comment

Hi
                      Tried the Riviera 300 awning mentioned above this weekend on the R40- works fine and didn't take too long to put up for a first effort. Definitely needs 2 people though- we used the canopy poles to attach to the tunnel guylines and lift up over the roof and then pull down.Pegging out on hard standing pitch was the most time consuming thing but hopefully easier on grass the next time.
                      Pics to follow when I can get them off my camera.
                      Only problem is that the colour of the awning doesn't match with the van as well as last years model since it's grey/blue (last year grey/black would have looked better but demo model in store was faulty)
                      Janet

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X