X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All advice welcome!!

Hello all

I am going to see a C15 Romahome (1994) on Sunday. It has a FSH and has 74000 on the 1.8 diesel engine. It looks a beauty inside and out.

I was wondering if any of you know of any major pros and cons with this year/model, and would really appreciate details of any good insurers.

Also, how will I fare with breakdown cover on an 18-year old vehicle? Will I get some?

My 1991 C15 is insured through Camping & Caravanning Club's Club Care insurance. I also have RAC Arrival which is their breakdown scheme and covers me whichever vehicle I'm driving. They came out to my old 1988 Autosleeper a few times without complaints!

Main problem with the old C15s is rust on the cab part - the motorhome part isn't metal so not prone to rust. Look all round, particularly the sills, the bottoms of the doors, the bulkhead, the front of the bonnet and the areas around the top where the metal joins the fibreglass.

Comment

c15

Originally posted by smithie View Post
      Hello all

I am going to see a C15 Romahome (1994) on Sunday. It has a FSH and has 74000 on the 1.8 diesel engine. It looks a beauty inside and out.

I was wondering if any of you know of any major pros and cons with this year/model, and would really appreciate details of any good insurers.

Also, how will I fare with breakdown cover on an 18-year old vehicle? Will I get some?
      ref c15 if your viewing does not result in buying i am selling my 1998 roma home with service history with heating pas etc it is on preloved website alan

Comment

Brakes are often described as an optional extra on C15s but with a good mechanic can be sorted adequately.

I use Saga insurance (on 2001 C15) but cannot comment on how good they are as I haven't needed to claim:so happy::so happy:.

But on plus side - the older models are far less complicated than more modern vehicles with more electronics than simple mechanics.

There are some older threads on this subject - will try to search and post links

Comment

try this link

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ght=buying+c15

Comment

C15's

Hi

I have a C15 Romahome. A Hylo. And yes, they are known for having issues with the brakes. Mine were awful, but I have a friend who services my 306 (basically the same engine and parts as a C15) and he did some research at Peugeot. Then changed the brakes and discs and now the brakes are fine. In fact I think they are now better than the brakes on the car!:so happy:

Other than than they are great little vans. They fit in a standard garage, so you can keep them dry and safe in the winter and everyone loves them. Once you buy one, you will suddenly see lots of them around.

Comment

If you could post the brake modifications it could be helpful to other members of the forum.

Peter

Comment

Has anybody else had problems with trying to insure a camper van when it will be parked on the roadside? I have been honest enough to say that's where it would be parked and I'm being told I have to keep it in a locked compound!

I don't live in a great area but it's not that bad either.

Also, I'm on the verge of buying the van but the bonnet is rusty. I'm getting a quote of £170 for a new one...any ideas where else I may pick up a second-hand one ora cheaper one?

Thanks

Richard

Comment

Insurance - do more research.

Bonnet - secondhand ones in good condition are in short supply and so you might have to bite the bullet.

Peter

Comment

Think insurance companies just go by postcode - my van is parked on my drive - I try to make insurance companies realise that a drive which is in a rural area and 50 yards of gravel behind a gate is as safe as a garage - especially with our own special version of neighbourhood watch (ie the majority of neighbours within a couple of miles have binocular vision and want to know who owns any and every strange vehicle driving along our single track road)

Doesn't get me any discount

Comment

Also, I'm on the verge of buying the van but the bonnet is rusty. I'm getting a quote of £170 for a new one...any ideas where else I may pick up a second-hand one ora cheaper one?

Thanks

Richard
                      Have you tried googling it? There are some internet sites that deal in stuff like this

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                        Have you tried googling it? There are some internet sites that deal in stuff like this
                        eg http://www.breakeryard.com/citroen-car-parts/c15

and that is not a recommendation - I just googled it

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                          Insurance - do more research.

Bonnet - secondhand ones in good condition are in short supply and so you might have to bite the bullet.

Peter
                          Thanks...when you say do more research, do you mean I may get less stipulations through a different insurer, or do you mean that insurance in general may be problematic - and thus I should stall on buying the van?

Comment

Different insurance companies, where it is parked should be the same as with ordinary car insurance. We are insured with Safeguard but their sister company Scenic may be appropriate for you. Ours is insure as parked on our drive.

Good luck

Peter

Comment

Thanks...when you say do more research, do you mean I may get less stipulations through a different insurer, or do you mean that insurance in general may be problematic - and thus I should stall on buying the van?
                              I can recommend a good broker - http://www.jukesinsurance.co.uk/

I use them for everything and they consistently turn up the best deals for me. They will check loads of insurance companies for you, less hassle than a comparison site I find.
                              Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment