As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

insurance??

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance??

HI everyone, I recently saw a programme on t.v that said approx. 1 in 5 motorhomes get stolen! is this true because i'm looking to buy myself a citroen c15 romahome and it's kind of put me off? also, are they expensive to insure? many thanks!

I don't think motorhomes are such a great target and in the 5 years I've been using camping forums with up to 20k members, I've only heard of one being stolen - and, from memory, this was from the owner's driveway when he'd left the keys in it and nipped briefly indoors.

Re insurance, I pay £255 for my 2005 Hylo with unlimited mileage, protected NCD, SD&P use only based on a clean 28 year driving history of driving cars and vans. If I had retained my NCD exclusively on a car and not a commercial vehicle (I had a privately owned Kangoo) it would have been £212.

Comment

1 in 5 stolen? Sounds like nonsense to me. I've had motorhomes for about 40 years and never met anyone who had one stolen. But more logically, if they were that much of a risk they would be in the highest bands of insurance instead of the lowest. The MMM magazine has an occasional note about looking out for a stolen van but it has a readership of owners in the 10's of thousands. Obviously some get stolen but they are not so easy to dispose of as cars so, unless someone is trying to sell alarms or tracker equipment, I cannot see where these figures could come from.
      Join the motorhome family with confidence and enjoy the lifestyle.
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by niloc View Post
        1 in 5 stolen? Sounds like nonsense to me. I've had motorhomes for about 40 years and never met anyone who had one stolen. But more logically, if they were that much of a risk they would be in the highest bands of insurance instead of the lowest. The MMM magazine has an occasional note about looking out for a stolen van but it has a readership of owners in the 10's of thousands. Obviously some get stolen but they are not so easy to dispose of as cars so, unless someone is trying to sell alarms or tracker equipment, I cannot see where these figures could come from.
        Join the motorhome family with confidence and enjoy the lifestyle.
        Colin
        Just out of interest, we could have a quick (and admittedly unscientific) survey.

Anyone on here ever had their motorhome stolen?

To get the ball rolling, we haven't!
        Geoff

Comment

I haven't had one stolen from me - but the first Autosleeper Frisky I owned had been stolen from it's previous owners and then recovered 2 years later.

I think it's probably more the large motorhomes that could be targets for thieves.

My insurance is about £200 a year, can't remember offhand.

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
            Just out of interest, we could have a quick (and admittedly unscientific) survey.

Anyone on here ever had their motorhome stolen?

To get the ball rolling, we haven't!
            I have. My VW Holdsworth was stolen from outside the place where I worked.The insurance paid up full market value plus £2000 for contents,without quibble. The van was never found.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

We've never had one stolen (touches wood) but when one was stolen just round the corner from us at our previous house we bought a wheel clamp.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

No

But my dad did about 20 years ago. It was parked outside their flat ready to go when it was stolen, someone knocked on his door to say that they had seen it happen and knew who had taken it but would not divulge the information. dad rang the police and they found it about half a mile away, all doors wide open and everything loose gone. They guy that knocked on the door had given dad a false name and he was long gone by the time the police arrived.

Peter

Comment

Nope never had one stolen!
                  derek b and Babs

Comment

Most vehicle thefts now are done to order rather than just opportunistic so I think its just purely luck of the draw whether your vehicle is targeted or not. Realistically though, few organised crime syndicates are going to target an old C15 and its hardly likely to be the choice of an opportunistic joy rider either so I wouldn't concern yourself with it. After all, you have insurance against these unfortunate situations.

I've never had a motorhome but have owned a collection of cars, caravans, trailers etc, none of which have ever been stolen.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I would think that with most motorhomes it is the opportunist thief breaking in to steal whatever contents they might find useful. We once had our car broken into in Paris because one of our kids had left a cheapo personal stereo on the parcel shelf. Rear window broken, stereo taken but car not entered.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                        I would think that with most motorhomes it is the opportunist thief breaking in to steal whatever contents they might find useful. We once had our car broken into in Paris because one of our kids had left a cheapo personal stereo on the parcel shelf. Rear window broken, stereo taken but car not entered.

Peter
                        Three points,

I am a scientist and I teach probability theory....I got to tell you the level of maths, basic understanding and use of statistics on the tv even the BBC news is shocking. And please always remember statistics are a tool to emphasise a point but taken out of context they are meaningless. When they said 1 in 5, did they give a time span or any other qualifying variables?

I agree if I was a thief who wanted to break into a mobile home, I'd break into a flash one that looked like it had stuff worth stealing. So go with the C15!!

You really shouldnt live your life not doing things in case something MIGHT happen...if you want a C15, get one, you won't regret it. We love ours.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post

Peter
                          Sorry Peter my last comment was not meant to be a direct quote to yours, I pressed wrong icon!

Comment

[QUOTE=Bryony The Snail;58268] ... When they said 1 in 5, did they give a time span or any other qualifying variables?...QUOTE]

Excellent point Bryony, it's great to get input from someone who knows what they're talking about!
                            I can just about accept the idea of one in five over say a twenty year period!
                            Geoff

Comment

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Statistics can be manipulated to support any argument.

If people understood probability properly then no one would gamble

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X