As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying Romahome

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about buying Romahome

Hi, my wife and I are thinking about buying a Berlingo based Romahome next year, so I will be asking lots of (daft) questions over the coming weeks/months. First question concerns fuel consumption and whether or not a Lo or high top makes any difference to fuel consumption, drag ETC? Also which tends to hold it's price better, high or low roof?.......Dave.

hi Trucker & welcome... I am not sure what my milage to the gallon because having bought it I just put fuel in it!! However various impressive figures are claimed and I do not find it unreasonable to run.. but what the numbers are... have no idea. I would imagine that a hi low would use less ... how much I do not know.

Based on the fact that finding a used hilo was easy and the hitops seemed to be shortlived on the forecourt I suspect that High tops are more popular.

If two of you are using the vehicle I would think space would be a serious issue. Personally I would want the space provided by the luton for storage... think about where you are going to put everything and what you want to carry. Having said that couples do manage. If I am honest I like my clutter so I find my R20 the ideal single persons vehicle with the potential of being an occasional double. Having said that many couples are very happy with them.

Comment

Hi Trucker 192 and welcome, there are plenty of people on this forum to help with your queries.
      derek b and Babs

Comment

Hi Dave, i have the romahome duo plus and i am getting approx 40mpg commuting and on a run i have got 50mpg.
        Last edited by Renners; 11-12-2012, 23:45.

Comment

hi

hi we like the romahome this year we will be geting how 5 on we have the new R20 and find on the on boad computer we get over 51 to gallon we find the high best as u can store all your cloth up top any more just ask . u have not saed area ware u live as my be a member close to u to let u look round frebourn at southampton are good to look round we are north yorks if we can help diggdeepP/S it will be best by u make

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
            hi Trucker & welcome... I am not sure what my milage to the gallon because having bought it I just put fuel in it!! However various impressive figures are claimed and I do not find it unreasonable to run.. but what the numbers are... have no idea. I would imagine that a hi low would use less ... how much I do not know.

Based on the fact that finding a used hilo was easy and the hitops seemed to be shortlived on the forecourt I suspect that High tops are more popular.

If two of you are using the vehicle I would think space would be a serious issue. Personally I would want the space provided by the luton for storage... think about where you are going to put everything and what you want to carry. Having said that couples do manage. If I am honest I like my clutter so I find my R20 the ideal single persons vehicle with the potential of being an occasional double. Having said that many couples are very happy with them.
            I agree with you, Tentpeg. at times, I wish I had bought the hitop for its superior storage. However my little Hylo does have the advantage of being able to shimmy under height barriers and probably has better fuel consumption. For one person it is fine. A bit of a squeeze for two unless you take an awning.

Hi, Trucker. Welcome to the forum.
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Before we moved on to our Dimension we had a C15 hi top and two Duo's we got 40-50 mpg from the Duo's and as other's have said we found the extra space in the luton invaluable. You won't get that with a hi-lo but you will be able to get under height barriers which in some places can be a big bonus.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hello! We bought a Berlingo R20 Hytop from new in Dec 2010. In the summer of 2011 we drove from Southern Germany up into Holland, a day trip of about 385 miles. We fuelled before we left and refuelled in Holland and discovered we'd used almost exactly 38.5l of fuel - ie 10miles/liter = just over 45 mpg.

That journey was a mix of slowish stop start traffic getting through the towns on the N side of the Bodensee, fast (80mph +/-) autobahn and some slower country roads.

I think we'd struggle with the more limited space in the Hi-Lo but perhaps we'd get used to it. It's not just the bigger luton which is handy for the bulky stuff like bedding, clothing etc but we make a lot of use of the 'bookshelves' along the sides, above the windows on the Hytop. There are lots of little bits (pens, paper, torch, hairbrush, book/kindle, USB charger, guides etc) which are often useful to have instant access to and the bookshelves are ideal. That being said, a box living on the passenger seat when we are parked might serve just as well.

We don't really find parking a problem with the Hytop, sometimes its a pain having to drive round to find unrestricted parking but on the whole it's fairly easy. Of course, if I had enough space to garage the van that might have been another tick towards the Hi-Lo but with all my junk that would never be a consideration.

Comment

Thank you for your speedy and informative replies. Looks like the hi-top is what we need, as we don't do ''minimalism'' very well. We live in Herefordshire so looks like either Avon Motor Caravans, Bristol or AEG Motorhomes, Stourbridge are our nearest dealers, so will have to pay both a visit. My next question, is where do you put your TV when set up for the night/weekend ETC and what do you do for an aerial (area most likely to be visited will be south and west Wales).Sorry if these are question asked before, but not very good at searching forums, always use wrong search words I think.......Dave,

Comment

hi

a good book and long walks u see t.v all time at home:santa:

Comment

Ant at Avon motorhomes is the guru of all things Romahome, a decent dealer with fabulous after sales service, definitely recommended.

We have an Avtex tv which has a small but good amplified aerial which will sucker onto any smooth surface. Very good reception, and is powered by the TV, so you don't need yet another plug socket. We 'hang' the tv from the Luton, or just put it on a table.
                      Last edited by VonUK; 12-12-2012, 18:11.

Comment

We hang a TV or an iPad from the Luton, we have a portable Ariel and booster if necessary or plug into TV Ariel on EHU pole at sites that have them. iPad is preloaded with films and program's so if no reception there isn't any problem if a lazy TV evening is what we fancy.

We have a diesel C15 and it uses so little fuel compared to our cars I don't keep an eye on the cost.

Comment

hello Trucker192 ,we have had 4 Romahomes ,one c15 and 3 Berlingos the last two ,1.6 turbo diesel the 50 plus is spot on the fuel for the last two the earlier non turbo a bit less .Our motto is "you will never,,...repeat ...."NEVER" ..spend better money than on a Romahome.it is a life changer .Brilliant to drive and a wonderful well designed little motorhome.We bought our last two at Freeborn Romahome center Southampton and had great service (just ask for Neville a really top man) If you are ever on the isle of wight they will show you round the factory its a well run outfit.The hi.top is best as a lot more storage and useful places to carry what you need Its a four season van and we were away in minus ten and had a great time ...warm as toast.,The tv aerial you need is sold in most lplaces from John Lewis To Argos Any portable with a plug in booster included easy to set up and directional to ITV "Taff Telly"BBC "WAAAAAles (sorry local joke ) and about 15 on average sometimes 29 channels The aerials are any thing from £15 to £30 and you get a good picture.We have a little 9" screen set so easy to stow when on the move.Ask any of 100s of questions and you will get an honest answer and ..as we all love talking about the Magic little fibre glass shiny Egg.....so what else would you like to Know ? ....best Wishes Mark and Shirley

Comment

Go to Ant is my advice... you will have a back up service that is really gold star and beyond anything you get elsewhere.

Oh just noticed Pauline, Graham Santas....... yes:hoho::santa:

Comment

Hi Trucker.
                              Only just spotted the thread, but here's our twopence worth.

We bought our first Roma in May 2011. It was a brand new R20Lo , but not the slightly wider version introduced early this year.
                              Our spreadsheet tells us that in our first year we averaged a shade over 55 mpg from our 1.6 diesel engine.

We do carry a utility tent but don't always use it and have no problems at all with space. Then again, we're both five foot three-ish, about nine stone each, have never even thought about carrying a TV and decided that Duvalays didn't warrant the space they occupy. Though we do find room for a ukulele and a mandolin.
                              You may well not share our priorities!
                              Geoff

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X