As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I plug into the 12V socket?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I plug into the 12V socket?

Hiya, I have ignored the 12V 2 pin socket in my romahome since I bought it. Was thinking about Christmas lights (for obvious reasons :santa:!) and wondered 1) can you get xmas / fairy lights with a 2pin 12V plug that can go straight into the Romahome 12V socket.. or (what I really want) is it possible to get a 2 pin to USB converter as I know that I could get USB lights. I'm really not sure what i can plug into it...! Any help or tips very much appreciated. I know its a bit late for Christmas now.. but I'd still like fairy lights and it'd be good to know for next year. I'd just like to start using the damn socket as its there! Happy Christmas!!

Heidi

Originally posted by heidinicholl View Post
    Hiya, I have ignored the 12V 2 pin socket in my romahome since I bought it. Was thinking about Christmas lights (for obvious reasons :santa:!) and wondered 1) can you get xmas / fairy lights with a 2pin 12V plug that can go straight into the Romahome 12V socket.. or (what I really want) is it possible to get a 2 pin to USB converter as I know that I could get USB lights. I'm really not sure what i can plug into it...! Any help or tips very much appreciated. I know its a bit late for Christmas now.. but I'd still like fairy lights and it'd be good to know for next year. I'd just like to start using the damn socket as its there! Happy Christmas!!

Heidi
    Oh, a girl after my own heart! For the 2 pin lights, use a shaving plug adapter. I recently bought a fancy re-charger from PC WORLD, for my mobile phone cos I had left the proper one at my daughter's house. It has a gadget that enables me to 'play' one of the tasteful USB port Christmas decorations that i have. But should it be the twinkling lights I used to decorate my bit of the office with, the flashing snowman or the Christmas tree? :santa: Of course, if I plug in my laptop, I can enjoy all three.

I know the 3 pin plug socket can be used for a small toaster (it sets the smoke alarm off nicely ) my tiny dvd player, my laptop, possibly all three at once, via an extension board?

And yes, external lights for the van would be very tasteful! I would have used mine at the last meet but it rained so much that I didn't get round to putting them up...this time! I did manage the garish Happy Christmas sign though. Well, one has certain standards to maintain, you know. LOL :santa:
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

We bought one of these
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o02_s00_i00

Just for information, it is fine for the 12v socket in the back, but too short for the one in the cab of the Berlingo, but we already had adapters to charge our mobile phones while driving
      Sue

Comment

What sort of 12v socket do you have?

I've had 4 different sorts in various units: standard cigar lighter socket - in which case the adaptor Artoo has linked to is what you need to create a USB socket.

Or a Hella socket, plug smaller than a cigar lighter but you can get an adaptor to change it from Towsure:

Or there are two types of 2 pin sockets, one has two flat pins which are parallel, the other has two flat pins which are angled:

Towsure do adaptors to convert these to cigar sockets as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! Caz - it's a parallel 2 pin socket. I think the conversion to cigarette lighter style socket is the way to go. There seem to be more options that plug into the lighter sockets. It just doesn't seem to be a very useful socket to have in it..! I was hoping to find a web page (from caravan dealers or ebay or evil-amazon) which just had lots of useful / fun things with the correct 12V plug on. I can't see anything except an adaptor. Obsolete technology?

Comment

These multi-finction adapters have been given the seal of approval by my techie daughter and partner! Migght be of use?

Comment

We plug our portable tv into ours sometimes.

Comment

Christmas lights... no I didn't have any to plug into my 12v socket but last week while on a C&C site, I hung up my flashing battery operated earings behind the back door curtains - looked quite pretty when I came back from my walk around moffatt.

Comment

The best thing about the modern LED lights is that they use so little power that they run for yonks on a couple of AA batteries.

I've bought a couple of battery powered sets for the side windows, saves having leads running all over the place as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                    These multi-finction adapters have been given the seal of approval by my techie daughter and partner! Migght be of use?
                    Sorry - I forgot the link! Hopefully, it will take you to the chargers at PCWorld.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search...-criteria.html

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X