As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flattened...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Flattened...

    Help!

    Now I know this was dumb - I used to turn over my van regularly but recently I'd forgotten and it's been a few weeks since we used it and I just can't get in it. I have a Romahome Hylo (2009) with an alarm fitted by the dealer, which I think drains the battery a bit. Anyhow, I keep clicking the central locking thingy but it won't open the doors, neither will the clicker on the key. I daren't open the door manually in case the alarm goes ballistic or the engine gets immobilised (is that reversible? Presumably?) - but if the battery is flat, presumably the alarm won't go off?

    Any ideas? I can get in the back, but again that might set the alarm off. What should I do?

    #2
    I'd go back to bed.

    Seriously though, I have no idea but sure someone will pop along soon to help you. Good luck.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by timeshift View Post
      Help!

      Now I know this was dumb - I used to turn over my van regularly but recently I'd forgotten and it's been a few weeks since we used it and I just can't get in it. I have a Romahome Hylo (2009) with an alarm fitted by the dealer, which I think drains the battery a bit. Anyhow, I keep clicking the central locking thingy but it won't open the doors, neither will the clicker on the key. I daren't open the door manually in case the alarm goes ballistic or the engine gets immobilised (is that reversible? Presumably?) - but if the battery is flat, presumably the alarm won't go off?

      Any ideas? I can get in the back, but again that might set the alarm off. What should I do?
      telephone ant at avon moter caravans and ask his expert advice.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

      Comment


        #4
        Oh dear! Nothing to add, but at least you know your vehicle is safe from theives! LOL!! Smile, it could be worse.

        I'd try getting in manually and then charge the battery.

        Comment


          #5
          Hi there,

          We had a similar problem with ours a few weeks ago and it was the battery in the key fob that needed replacing. You can buy them quite often in a chemist or hardware shop. Just prise the back off and the battery is in there. Have you got a spare key fob to try. We had a spare with our van which is a 2005 Hylo.

          Hope this might be of some help to you. If not you should still be able to unlock the doors using the key.
          Moya :)

          Comment


            #6
            timeshift

            I have just had an alarm fitted which should come with a pin code (thats another story)which you tap in on the single button in the cab to override the alarm should your fob give up the ghost.
            To have a spare fob key made is going to cost me £160 pounds! But I don't fancy going to France without a spare, I'm in the wrong job.


            Tony Anchorman

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by anchorman View Post
              timeshift

              I have just had an alarm fitted which should come with a pin code (thats another story)which you tap in on the single button in the cab to override the alarm should your fob give up the ghost.
              To have a spare fob key made is going to cost me £160 pounds! But I don't fancy going to France without a spare, I'm in the wrong job.


              Tony Anchorman
              When our extra alarm was fitted we were given two fobs for it and the pin number is entered onto a key pad that is fitted inside the cab.

              I wouldn't be very happy about that either. Hope you get some money back from them!
              Moya :)

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                timeshift

                I have just had an alarm fitted which should come with a pin code (thats another story)which you tap in on the single button in the cab to override the alarm should your fob give up the ghost.
                To have a spare fob key made is going to cost me £160 pounds! But I don't fancy going to France without a spare, I'm in the wrong job.


                Tony Anchorman
                I had this prob with a car once. You can get an ordinary key cut as a spare so at least you can get into the van.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I could get in through the rear door, I'm just worried about setting off the alarm. The alarm is a separate secondary system, so the central locking can be operated separately. So it's not the key fob battery, because I have two fobs. It's the van battery itself. And I don't want to immobilise it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    I had this prob with a car once. You can get an ordinary key cut as a spare so at least you can get into the van.
                    jayjay

                    I have a spare ordinary key, but if I use it, I can't disable the alarm without the pin code. Hopefully this will be rectified this weekend when the alarm engineer gets the serial number from the control unit in order to find out the pin.

                    Tony Anchorman

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Well the nice man from the AA came and let me in and tried to recharge the completely, utterly flat battery and it wouldn't charge, apparently a dud battery. which isn't keeping the charge. He sold me a nice new one though, so I should be fine now.
                      I have had a few problems this year with not being able to get the leisure battery charged without mains - I took it to the dealer last month who charged up the leisure battery and charged me £25. Hmmm, van is only 11 months old, can't help thinking that a new battery shouldn't be this dud and the dealer might have spotted it when I took it in, rather than saying the alternator was working perfectly (which it is, but presumably all its attention was focused on the car battery so the leisure battery wasn't getting a look in.)

                      Ah well, another £80 gone.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Ah well, alls well that ends well, eh? At least it wasn't a great big really expensive problem!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          If you have had a dud battery in a van less than a year old then it is the responsibility of the Dealer to replace it - source, Trading Standards when my battery failed. It was replaced by Freeborns.
                          Colin

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one with a suspect leisure battery. I'm awaiting a response from Romahome regarding this issue as my van is only 6 months since registration.
                            Janet

                            Comment


                              #15
                              May be more of a dealer issue depending how long they had the Romahome in stock.

                              Ours is a 2007 reg but built in summer 2006. We had to replace our leisure battery in summer 2006 but I took the view that these circumstances were out of Romahomes control

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X