As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Further DIMENSION news

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further DIMENSION news

Further to my previous posts, the salesman at Freeborn Godalming who sold us the Dimension has contacted us, apologised and sent a voucher for a free valet of the Dimension inside and out at either of their premises, Godalming or Southampton. So all is well that ends well. Meanwhile my fear of water flowing around the engine bay has resulted in me paying Freeborn to install an engine cover on the off side of the engine although it appeared to guide any water down to the oil filler cap. Gluing a section of windscreen wiper rubber, left of the photo and painted black in the photo, cured that problem by guiding the water to the edge. However, it still left the nearside uncovered of course. The nearside of the engine bay is a remarkable piece of French engineering. The "chute" from the bonnet heater air intake parts from the fixed part on the engine bay as you lift the bonnet which is normal practice. This differs in that the parting is cut vertically and not horizontally (why not?). When the vehicle is left nose down and it rains, rain enters the bonnet air intake and lays along that rubber sealed join inside the "chute". As soon as you open the bonnet it drops all the water-straight onto the electrics below (including the ECU?). Not good at all. My solution was to make up a tray below that "chute" made from a garden centre plant tray with a caravan waste sink taking the water via a pipe to under the Dimension. About £10 to make up. Sadly I could only get a green tray! I will post photos of these as soon as I find out how to. Graham (and Carole)

DIMENSION MODIFICATION Photo

Dimension OFFSIDE 214.53.28.jpg

As promised, here is the photo of the OFFSIDE engine water protection cover as fitted by Freeborn to my Dimension. You will see on the left a black line above the oil filler cap where I glued a windscreen wiper blade to redirect water away from the oil filler cap. Unfortunately the photo of the NEARSIDE home made cover does not as yet want to upload from my phone. Graham (and Carole)
    Last edited by GeeCee; 16-02-2013, 11:06. Reason: reasons of clarity

Comment

DIMENSION MODIFICATION Photo

2013-02-15 14.53.41.jpg

Here is the other photo, NEARSIDE home made modification to waterproof above the electrics on my Dimension. Every time the bonnet is opened after or during rain, by design it cannot fail to drop a load of water onto those electrics. For about £10 I bought a green, sadly no black, plant tray, a caravan waste and some crinkle hose. It takes the water below the front apron to which the hose is tie-wrapped and drops it there. The tray, being light, is held by one bracket beside the bonnet catch. Easily removed by 2 screws for servicing of the air cleaner below. At least, I think it is the air cleaner? Graham (and Carole)

Comment

wy not citron

wy not ring citron thar my be a bit mising or they my send on out to u

Comment

Thanks for the idea but I know that they only supply the plastic cover for the engine off side. Apparently Peugeot will supply, at a cost, the cover for the engine OFFSIDE, Citroen appear to deny its very existence and I had to insist it existed and even then Freeborn had to modify it to fit. But my NEARSIDE system works a treat and at a cost of £10 compared with the £212 it cost to have the cover fitted on the OFFSIDE I am well satisfied. Admittedly for the OFFSIDE cover it had to have new modified aircon pipes fitted and brackets made up etc. Thanks anyway. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Graham, there should be a trough at the base of the windscreen to catch and drain off the rain water under the bonnet? I can't see it in your photos. It drains via a small bore pipe on the offside - needs unclogging periodically due to leaves blockng a filter near the top of the drain pipe. Poor design, but it does work on my 2007 Dimension provided I remember to keep it clear. If my memory serves, there was a problem early on because Citroen had a short drain pipe that emptied on to the engine! It was then modified to make it longer and it now drain harmlessly on to the road. Photo of trough:

img22247708.JPG
            .......... Sid

Comment

Thanks, sidb, DIMENSION photo

Thanks, sidb, photo much appreciated. I printed it up and took it outside and held it beside my open bonnet. I do in fact have the trough, it just doesn't show due to the angle of my photos, full frontal. The problem with my Dimension, I think, comes down to the seal failing between the windscreen and scuttle/trough and the centre join of the 2 sections due to the material aging. At least on the OFFSIDE. On the NEARSIDE, above the electrics where I have fitted the home made tray, there is no factory provision to catch the water dropped from the heating air intake when the bonnet is opened after rain. And it is above the electrics!! Definitely a design error inviting problems in the future. Both problems are now pretty much under control but sometime in the future I shall be looking to fit 2 new scuttles, or have them fitted, assuming they are still available and at a reasonable price. Thanks for your interest and help. Just as a bonus here is a photo of the NG TA I built in 1990 from a 1970 MGB saloon and sold in February 2012. At 74 I was finding it too difficult to get in and too difficult to get under and service it. Graham (and Carole)

IMGP0736.jpg

Comment

Your car

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                Thanks for your interest and help. Just as a bonus here is a photo of the NG TA I built in 1990 from a 1970 MGB saloon and sold in February 2012. At 74 I was finding it too difficult to get in and too difficult to get under and service it. Graham (and Carole)
                Oh, that must have been a hard and heart breaking decision. What a great vehicle, but no doubt a lot of work needed to keep it that way.

As for the Relay, I can't say that I have noticed a problem with water on the engine except when the scuttle fills and either water lays there for days and seeps slowly through the seal you describe or it accumulates to the extent that it overflows - both which it does very readily if the wretched drain hose bungs up. The hose is connected to a hard plastic bit of pipe that contains a mesh filter and clogs very rapidly and easily with small leaves and other debris. Cleaning it isn't easy, I pick out the bits from the top with a pair of long tweezers as I haven't yet found a way to remove it for cleaning. Brute force might do it, but I don't want to test it to destruction! If I keep it clear, water doesn't accumulate in the trough and drains away well.
                .......... Sid

Comment

Much more on DIMENSIONS

Yes, it was a hard decision especially as every piece of the MGB, except the differential although the bearings were, was replaced with re-conditioned parts but the decision had to be made.
                  Regarding the Dimension, I have just realised that my handbook shows the same layout under the bonnet as I have except for one thing. The large black plastic opening for the heater air is exactly the same but mine is on the NEARSIDE above the electrics and the photo in the handbook shows it above the engine on the OFFSIDE, not above the electrics. I believe from your photo that your opening for the heater is also above the engine. Did Citroen find out this was a problem, dropping water on the electrics, and then modified their models? If only they had asked any schoolboy he would have told them. My Dimension has the scuttle drain on the OFFSIDE and it is about 1 inch in diameter. It feeds into a rubber pipe that disappears into the OFFSIDE wing. There is no plastic part with a filter. Graham (and Carole)
                  Last edited by GeeCee; 17-02-2013, 16:26. Reason: for clarity

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                    Regarding the Dimension, I have just realised that my handbook shows the same layout under the bonnet as I have except for one thing. The large black plastic opening for the heater air is exactly the same but mine is on the NEARSIDE above the electrics and the photo in the handbook shows it above the engine on the OFFSIDE, not above the electrics. I believe from your photo that your opening for the heater is also above the engine. Did Citroen find out this was a problem, dropping water on the electrics, and then modified their models? If only they had asked any schoolboy he would have told them. My Dimension has the scuttle drain on the OFFSIDE and it is about 1 inch in diameter. It feeds into a rubber pipe that disappears into the OFFSIDE wing. There is no plastic part with a filter. Graham (and Carole)
                    Yes, the heater air intake is in the nearside. The scuttle drain is on the offside. I didn't explain what I meant by the filter very well - the drain hose is connected by a jubilee clip to a spout forming part of the scuttle moulding. That is the plastic bit that I meant, and it contains a mesh strainer to stop leaves etc, going down the hose. When that gets clogged, the water backs up and the scuttle fills instead of draining. Keep it clear and the scuttle drains OK - well, mine does anyway! You can feel where the mesh is by sticking a pencil or short stick down the drain hole - it wont go as far as the hose as it is stopped by the strainer. I think that it should be removable to clean it and unblock any trapped debris, but as I said I am reluctant to force it, so try to pick out any trapped bits with a pair of tweezers down the opening in the trough. Amazing how much actually goes down there, not only leaves but bits of paper, sweet wrappers etc. !
                    .......... Sid

Comment

R30 DRAIN HOLES

HI

Our R30 has two drain holes under the plastic cover plates by the bonnet .The passenger’s side you can see without removing the cover but the driver’s side you can’t, ours was blocked and was overflowing with water.The cover is held on by two screws and two plastic clips as photo There is also a drain hole on the drivers side of the through
                      BRIAN
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Mr T, I shall investigate further. Meanwhile, next week going to Canterbury CCC site to test everything. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Thanks, Brian. I was unaware of the drainage holes you refer to.

(Just to avoid any confusion, the drain hole opening to the hose I was referring to is actually located in the scuttle/trough - in the offside, near the end. The hole leads into a short spout/outlet that is part of the trough moulding and contains the mesh strainer that gets blocked with debris. The hose connects to the bottom of the spout by a jubilee clip.)
                          .......... Sid

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X