As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare gas bottle query

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare gas bottle query

Hi, I am going to get a second gas bottle for my R20 so that I have a spare should my gas run out. Can anyone tell me if I need to get another 3.9kg or can I get a smaller one just as a spare? I wasnt sure if the pressure would be the same.

If you use 3.9kg calor cylinders, I don't think they do smaller ones do they?
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Oh maybe not, it said inside the locker door 'maximum size cylinder 3.9kg' so I assumed there must be smaller ones!

Comment

You could change the type of cylinder, to campingaz for example but you will find the gas is a lot more expensive and you will need a different regulator too.
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I find gas lasts a long long time so you only need a spare if close to running out. Have you thought about one of these magnetic gas level indicatores? Don't use them myself but guesss could be usefull. I just permanently carry a spare gas cylinder in the other outside locker.

Comment

Presume you have propane gas fitted. If not would suggest you seriously consider it especially if buying another bottle. Perhaps Freeborn could sort this while you have your heating installed.

Very pleased they have agreed to cover all your expenses etc although it would be hard for them to justify not doing so.

Lizzie

Comment

Yes it's propane. I only have the one outside locker so wasn't sure about storing a spare inside the van. There is only one supplier up here so if I'm camping on one of the other islands it would be a good idea to have a spare cylinder.

I thought it would be useful when south as well, I need to reorganise my method of storage in the van.

Comment

If you are mainly using sites rather than wilding, on the mainland at least, most will stock replacements or at least be able to tell you the nearest stockists. I think most people would recommend against storing a spare cylinder inside the van as it is very heavy if you are involved in a collision and the risk of leaks is also a serious issue. Perhaps a safer alternative would be to carry a little campingaz type stove or a suitcase type stove with self sealing small cartridges that could be stored in an outside locker and used purely in an emergency should the main cylinder run out?

Or, use a device on top of the cylinder, like that available from gaslow, which shows how much gas you have left. If you have a spare full cylinder at home and are setting off on a long trip, check the dial on the van cylinder and if it is getting low, swap to the full one before you go. You can also then keep an eye on it during the trip. If your next trip is short or a day trip, swap the cylinders back to the nearly empty one and use up what is in it.

I seem to recall a similar thread recently, I'll see if I can dig it or them out for you.

Comment

Maybe easiest for you to search gas cylinder on the forum search, it brings up loads of threads about them!!

Comment

We found the locker big enough for a large camping gaz and we also had a small single burneer in a case that uses cylinders - very handy for use when we had the tent up.

Comment

My old demountable had no outside lockers at all. The type I had was camping gaz 907, which lasted a long time. However, I used to keep two in the locker, both were held down with bungee straps and strong hooks into the sides of the locker. Both were next to the cooker and one was connected re the regulator from inside the locker... at the foot end of the bed. That was the system when I bought it - I thought it was a bit dodgy at first, however, the bottles never moved, and seemed perfectly safe (I had my son watch from inside during a trip around the block!) so that's the way it stayed.

Comment

There is an earlier thread if you search where I explained how we manage to carry a spare 3.9Kg propane bottle in one of our inside lockers next to the water tank.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X