As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 Outlook Exclusive 1.9 TD - anyone have this engine?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 Outlook Exclusive 1.9 TD - anyone have this engine?

Hello all,
    I've found what appears to be a good, honest deal on the above Romahome but I'd like to have an opinion on how that particular engine pulls (the van for sale is up in N Yorkshire and I'm in London, so a test-drive is a bit of a hike). I have to admit that I find Rosie (my 1999 Duo 1.9-non-turbo) too pokey around the big city and slow to dash away with on the weekends.
    Can anyone who has or had a 1.9 TD give me an appraisal?
    Thanks very much!
    Jacsprat

Hi Jacksprat, mine is the 2.0hdi and if the 1.9td is anything like this then it is a great engine. Pulls away quickly although being low torque you have to change gear almost right away but once into second then it performs brilliantly and leaves many a car in its tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Renners View Post
      Hi Jacksprat, mine is the 2.0hdi and if the 1.9td is anything like this then it is a great engine. Pulls away quickly although being low torque you have to change gear almost right away but once into second then it performs brilliantly and leaves many a car in its tracks.
      The 2.0 is brill - I had a Berlingo Multispace with that engine and had zero problems. I have heard, however, that the 1.9 is not the same beast.
      Thanks Renners.

Comment

I have a 1.9TD Romahome HyLo 2003 model and after 10 years this September it is performing as well as ever. I've had the vehicle from new and have had no problems what so ever. I have it serviced once a year and apart from replacing the cam belt, half an exhaust system and a set of new tyres all of which should be expected over a ten year period I've had NO other work done. The acceleration is good with a good 45-50 miles per gallon on average, travelling at 75-80mph on the motorway. We have covered the whole of England, Scotland and Wales in that time and have three trips planned for this year. Along with my motor bike and my current home I can honestly say it's the best thing, giving the greatest pleasure I have ever bought. The interior is as good as the day I bought it, nothing has failed including the water pump and fridge. We love it and we don't have a name for it, it's just "The Van".
        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          I have a 1.9TD Romahome HyLo 2003 model and after 10 years this September it is performing as well as ever. I've had the vehicle from new and have had no problems what so ever. I have it serviced once a year and apart from replacing the cam belt, half an exhaust system and a set of new tyres all of which should be expected over a ten year period I've had NO other work done. The acceleration is good with a good 45-50 miles per gallon on average, travelling at 75-80mph on the motorway. We have covered the whole of England, Scotland and Wales in that time and have three trips planned for this year. Along with my motor bike and my current home I can honestly say it's the best thing, giving the greatest pleasure I have ever bought. The interior is as good as the day I bought it, nothing has failed including the water pump and fridge. We love it and we don't have a name for it, it's just "The Van".
          That's super helpful Alan, thanks very much! I'll head up on Saturday for a test drive. Oh my goodness, Rosie may be up for sale soon!
          Jacquie

Comment

I think you'll find the 1.9TD turns out to be a 2.0 Hdi. the 1.9TD was based on the XUD 1905cc engine, that version was no longer being used in 2005. I think the 1997 cc on the log book of a 2.0 Hdi has confused the seller.If it is a 1.9TD XUD engine then it's not the original engine!
            Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
              I think you'll find the 1.9TD turns out to be a 2.0 Hdi. the 1.9TD was based on the XUD 1905cc engine, that version was no longer being used in 2005. I think the 1997 cc on the log book of a 2.0 Hdi has confused the seller.If it is a 1.9TD XUD engine then it's not the original engine!
              Ant
              Oh dear!!! How valuable might your intervention be! I think the owner who bought the van from Dolphin in 2011, is pretty sure it's a 1.9. In fact, he said he had advice that the 1.9 would be easier and cheaper to maintain. He also said that it was no Maserati - if it were a 2.0, I'm sure he would have extolled its pulling virtues.
              Will give him a ring now to find out all...
              Jac

Comment

Jac.
                All you need to know is the engine size as stated on the log book. 1868 cc is a 1.9 non Turbo 1997 cc is a 2.0 hdi.
                Ant

Comment

Ant
                  Just rang the seller (who I feel is completely genuine) - engine number is the same as on the original manufacture docs from Romahome. It's a 1868cc. I just saw an old builder's version 2005, 1868cc (not 1905cc) for sale on Autotraders. Appears very much to be the original engine on the Outlook - MOTs seem to corroborate this. What's going on here???
                  I know my 'spidey senses' should be tingling, but they're not. There's a completely logical explanation somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by jacsprat View Post
                    Just rang the seller (who I feel is completely genuine) - engine number is the same as on the original manufacture docs from Romahome. It's a 1868cc. I just saw an old builder's version 2005, 1868cc (not 1905cc) for sale on Autotraders. Appears very much to be the original engine on the Outlook - MOTs seem to corroborate this. What's going on here???
                    I know my 'spidey senses' should be tingling, but they're not. There's a completely logical explanation somewhere...
                    There you go then. Present owner has been duped big time.
                    I would have know as soon as I tested it that it was a slug, but thanks very much indeed Ant - you saved me a big, long drive up. Wish I could afford to buy a brand spanking new R25 from you. Alas, one day!! Rosie is safe for the time being!
                    Jac

Comment

[QUOTE=jacsprat;63317]There you go then. Present owner has been duped big time.
                      I would have know as soon as I tested it that it was a slug, but thanks very much indeed Ant - you saved me a big, long drive up. Wish I could afford to buy a brand spanking new R25 from you. Alas, one day!! Rosie is safe for the time being!
                      Jac[/QUOTE

End of story is...no one was duped at all. There was an assumption by me that it was a 1.9TD because it is such a late model! And with Exclusive trim - never dreamed Romahome would put a 2005 Exclusive on the last of earlier 1.9 non-turbos. The sale is completely genuine (a very lovely seller) but I'm taking a pass as it'll be as pokey as poor old Rosie.
                      Thanks for all the advice - bit of a bloomin' minefield by I sure learned a lot.
                      Jac

Comment

We have a 2007 reg Outlook Exclusive with the 1868 engine and our previous Berlingo car had the 1868 although our new Berlingo car with the 1.6 turbo diesel engine. Our car is a flyer but the performance of our Romahome is acceptable. It will do 70 all day long although it does slow down on hills. the downside is that it is not economical at 70. The thing is that the old XUD and this 1868 engine are classed in the motor trade as being some of the most successful small diesel engines although emissions controls have strangled the 1868 engine a bit. We bought our Romahome with this particular engine because of the high mileage reliability and the ease of servicing and repair and I would buy another.

Peter

Comment

Ant
                          No. The engine according to log book is 1868 cc. This is the ORIGINAL engine. As with all vehicles, the registration date is the one when the buyer purchases the vehicle, not when it was built. Its clear Romahome acquired a Berlingo in 2005, shipped it, converted it and eventually sold it late enough to be on a 55 plate. This is OUR vehicle - we have every scrap of paperwork pertaining to it. Thank goodness our relationship with Jacqui was open enough for trust to build, for example I told her the performance of our 1.9 engine wasn't great.

I appreciate you tried to help, Ant, but a little knowledge can be dangerous. This engine hasn't been changed, the explanation is far less melodramatic than that. See Jacsprats last comment and the final post. Sometimes there isn't a conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by MarknHelen View Post

No. The engine according to log book is 1868 cc. This is the ORIGINAL engine. As with all vehicles, the registration date is the one when the buyer purchases the vehicle, not when it was built. Its clear Romahome acquired a Berlingo in 2005, shipped it, converted it and eventually sold it late enough to be on a 55 plate. This is OUR vehicle - we have every scrap of paperwork pertaining to it. Thank goodness our relationship with Jacqui was open enough for trust to build, for example I told her the performance of our 1.9 engine wasn't great.

I appreciate you tried to help, Ant, but a little knowledge can be dangerous. This engine hasn't been changed, the explanation is far less melodramatic than that. See Jacsprats last comment and the final post. Sometimes there isn't a conspiracy.
                            One thing you can't say about Ant is that he has a little knowledge when it comes to romahomes!!

I appreciate you are annoyed at the suggestion that your vehicle on paper may not have appeared to be quite right and I am sure Ant will be first to acknowledge his mistake if he made one, but all he did was offer the benefit of his vast knowledge, freely, honestly, when asked. He did say if it has a 1.9TD engine, it isn't an original engine. As yours is a 1.9 non turbo, he was right.

Good luck with your sale, it only seems two minutes ago you were joining us, all excited about your new van. I hope you aren't giving up motor homing and are going to stick around to tell us about any potential replacement for your romahome.
                            Last edited by glenw; 21-02-2013, 23:30.
                            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I made a mistake ! My HiLo has a 2.0 Hdi engine.
                              Alan

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X