As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I`ve had a good look around.....

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I`ve had a good look around.....

....over the last couple of months and I`ve been disappointed with the selection that I`ve seen.

I tied a visit to my daughter in Shepperton to visit the dealer in Godalming. They had an new R20 that was sold and a new R25 on display...all the used stock is at Southampton... Would have been nice to have put that in their glossy adverts....

I have a friend near Glastonbury so I called in to the dealer nr Bristol on the way. They had a good selection of R20`s but, to be honest, I was disappointed with the quality related to the prices.
    Two of the hi-tops had cracks in the body at the top of the front doors for instance, another had the roof lining sagging down, another older van was badly corroded under the bonnet on the inner wings...
    I mean, they were priced for sale...`on sale` at a high price but they clearly needed work doing on them. Are we expected to `cough up` because of the rarity....

I had a run over to the `Award Winning Dealer` nr. Halifax but they had one Roma in stock, a new R25 and nowt else....

In all I have called in to about 20 or so motorhome dealers over the months just to soak up some knowledge and visited more forums, SBMCC, Wild Camping and so on.
    After an outbreak of common sense I`ve decided to go for an older/cheaper van in good nick that wont be too much of a loss should I not take to it.
    I`ve bought a 95 Toyota Hi-Ace 2.4 diesel campervan, one owner, full service history...
    Pick it up on Wednesday so might go somewhere not too far away to try it out (if anyone has any suggestions, hook-up etc.)

Eric

Congratulations on finding a nice campervan! I always thought the Hi-Aces were nice myself. Have you got an automatic one?

As for what to take, apart from the obvious:

Some tools; eg, screwdrivers, hammer, pliers, etc., (if you have them you won't need them!) Same for Tow Rope and Tarp for me! LOL! Charger for mobile.

Sterilize your drinking/fresh water tank/pump system before you go.

Sleeping bag or duvet, pillow. Washbag.

Some tinned food, lard or cooking oil, and a few saucepans/mess tins. Check there is gas in the cannister and that the gas works, maybe get a spare if low. Switch off gas before you set off.

Tin opener, bottle opener. Cutlery and sharp knife. Kettle, milk teabags/coffee and milk. I use UHT, nice and handy in square containers.

Back later if I think of anything else.

Comment

Thanks m8...

Whats the tarp for?

How do you sterilise the water system?....would you run a mild bleach solution through it ?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by erix2 View Post
        Thanks m8...

Whats the tarp for?

How do you sterilise the water system?....would you run a mild bleach solution through it ?

Eric
        Hi again Eric,

The tarp is for my caravan should it decide to start raining in again! LOL!! Taken with me on the sods law principle of if I have it with me, I won't need it. Everyone should carry one, it ensures it never rains! Same with jump leads, tow rope etc.

I use Milton sterilising tablets or sterlising fluid from the cheapie shop/chemists. They are for sterilizing baby bottles etc. Says on how much/many tabs to use per gallon of water. Stick into water container, leave overnight. Attach to the system and flush through the pipes, up into the sink. Leave in the pipes another night if poss. Then flush all through with clean water a few times. Leave to air dry.

Comment

<<....The tarp is for my caravan should it decide to start raining in again! LOL!! Taken with me on the sods law principle....>>

Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake there, I was in work when I first read it......I guessed it was to lie down on underneath when it breaks down.....

I need to take a hard hat then, coz I always bang me nut on summat low flying lol

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric

I know what you mean about the scarcity - I want a van, but my patience is being tested. There are trips I want to make this summer and I need a van to be able to make them, but the van - MY van - is not yet appearing over the horizon

You have seen some vans but they were over-priced, so I am glad you have found something you are happier with..... enjoy your first outing! i am jealous

GypsyMe

Comment

Hi Gypsyme, thanks for your good wishes...

I hope you find summat that suits you, I guess its all about compromises in the end.....you dont need a 2 bed wheeled bungalow to tour in....

Good luck...

Eric
              Last edited by erix2; 25-05-2010, 12:19. Reason: Brainfade

Comment

Hi Gypsyme. I have seen a lot of Romas on ebay this week . I know you have to be carefull but you can get a bargain. We got our first Roma on ebay and it did us proud untill we found our newer one. In our local paper someone is selling a 2001. 1.9td Autocruise for £12,000. Has done 22k miles. That seems to be a bargain to me if you are looking for a slightly larger camper, 01206 298222 if anyone is interested.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Pendel..... I might look at privately advertised ones, but first i really want to try one out for at least one night..... anyone willing to hire me their precious van for 24 hrs?????

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X