This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy - another MOT with flying colours

Going for MOT is always a bit scary - you think everything is OK then they find something horrendously expensive wrong - at leat that's what happens with my car (Kia Rio). I seem to be luckier with the Romahome - even though it is much older - my C15 hylo has flown through its MOT again with no advisories.

Many congratulations, my Berlingo is in on Wednesday for an MOT ..... Not aware of anything needed but anyway!!!
    Andyvan

Comment

Well done. Wish I could say the same of mine but it cost me a bomb this year, and so did both of the cars. I'm beginning to think I should have shares in my garage.

Comment

Well I do sometimes wonder if I am supplying the mechanic with his pension for the future - but it is usually the car that costs me not the C15 - and I am very lucky in that the garage are good and honest - I may have spent a lot there but I trust them to do a good job

Comment

Originally posted by andyvan View Post
          Many congratulations, my Berlingo is in on Wednesday for an MOT ..... Not aware of anything needed but anyway!!!
          Andyvan
          So are you happy tonight? Did it pass?

Comment

A very near pass...... a small spot weld to a sill and new wipers, £150 including MOT cert and VAT ..... no advisories, Feels like a success!!!
            Does anyone else feel that replacement wipers are an 'essential' part of passing the MOT??

All the best
            Andy

Comment

Always change ours at MOT time

Peter

Comment

I got a (very) small bonus this month and also managed to sell our little-used box trailer so feeling a little flusher than normal i've opted to spend the spare money on a few jobs on the bus. I've known that a wheel has been out of balance for a few weeks and I suspected it needed new tyres too so dropped it in yesterday - 2 new tyres on the front, £52 each (pretty reasonable I thought) and they threw the balancing in for free. Money well spent as it turned out as it has made a huge difference, the car is quieter, smoother, handles better and pulls more strongly from a standing start and crucially the annoying vibration at 70mph has gone.

I was less lucky with the air con though, i was hoping it just needed regassing but as it turns out there is some sort of fault with the compressor so the service station couldn't get it working, although they did pressure test it and prove its not leaking which is something I suppose. Its going today up to the proper garage in the village to have new disks and pads on the front today so I will get them to have a look at it and see if they can coax the compressor in to life. It's about £85 for a new one and then fitting on top + VAT so if it does need replacing then I shall prob have to forgo the aircon for the time being.
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

A very near pass...... a small spot weld to a sill and new wipers, £150 including MOT cert and VAT ..... no advisories, Feels like a success!!!
                  Does anyone else feel that replacement wipers are an 'essential' part of passing the MOT??

All the best
                  Andy
                  Seems a lot for a small weld - after all wipers don't cost that much

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                    Seems a lot for a small weld - after all wipers don't cost that much
                    I was thinking the same. Had to have approx 10" weld to one sill of my car not long ago for the mot - it cost £60 inc. vat and £20 of that was the per hour price of labour. But I know things are more expensive the further south you go!

Glad you passed your MOT, Cedas!

Rob - the air con doesn't work on my car either. I wondered if it just needed regassing, but seeing as it costs a fortune in petrol to use it, I thought I wouldn't bother. Would have been nice these past few weeks though - but seriously, in this country we don't normally need it much!
                    Last edited by jayjay; 29-07-2013, 10:02.

Comment

£150 sounds about right, the MOT was probably £50, £60-ish for the welding, say a tenner for the wipers plus the VAT = £150.

The aircon is essential for me really as im nearly always hot. It also makes clearing the screens a lot easier and as I leave the house at a very wee hour of the morning, often with only a few minutes to make the dash to the train station so being able to clear the screens quickly is a real bonus. I've really missed it since the aircon packed up. The local garage did the brakes for me last week and they did find a broken wire to the aircon compressor but as there is still no gas in the system they couldnt test it so I need to get it regassed again next week to see if thats done the trick. I know it does make a difference to the fuel consumption but on my car at least the difference appears negligible.
                      Last edited by Rob B; 31-07-2013, 09:09.

Comment

fingers crossed with that one Rob! I hope it's just the broken wire!

My car was terrible last winter - iced up inside and out - I couldn't understand it. Then I looked at the windscreen seal and it had shrunk and actually broken in a couple of places. Not sure how much it would be to replace a windscreen seal and as it's an old car with 88K on the clock, so I'm wondering whether it would be worth paying out for. It's temporarily cured with my favourite stuff - blue tack!

Comment

The seal itself won't be very dear, but its having the screen taken out and put back in again that will cost. Maybe you will get lucky and your screen will crack and you will be able to get it done on the insurance

Comment

I think Rob has it re my MOT work, the hourly rate is £40 which is not too bad down here (last family garage put their rate up to £60ph ) he also looks for solutions to problems and knows citroens and my old C15 very well.
                            Having owned old bangers over the years these days £150 feels a relief!!!! And as for you air-con lot ........ Eeeeehhh pure luxury when I were a lad

Andy

Comment

I think Rob has it re my MOT work, the hourly rate is £40 which is not too bad down here (last family garage put their rate up to £60ph ) he also looks for solutions to problems and knows citroens and my old C15 very well.
                              Having owned old bangers over the years these days £150 feels a relief!!!! And as for you air-con lot ........ Eeeeehhh pure luxury when I were a lad

Andy
                              Aye its getting pricey isnt it. The brakes on my Kia just cost me £173 but that was all in.

As to the air con, this is the first car ive had that has ANY kind of equipment on it! Prior to this the only luxury any of my cars had was a clock

Comment