This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini tyre pressures

Can any Romini owner tell me what tyre pressures should be on the van. When my van had it's service tyre pressures were noted at 40psi. Is this the correct pressure for towing.

Pam

Hi Pam,
    I run my Romini Tyre pressures at 35 psi. Not from information, but more from experience. I think 40 psi is probably too hard.
    Something I do know, is that the difference between cold and warm (after running) tyre pressures should be about 4 psi. If the pressure difference is greater the tyre inflation pressure is too low because of the extra flexing of the tyre generating more heat. Below 4 psi the tyre is over inflated. Of course tyre wear will eventually show up wrong pressures, but on a caravan with low mileage that could take years.
    Your question prompted me to search the internet, but there seems to be no guidance for 135 section 13in. tyres as fitted to my Romini (135R13). I presume yours are the same, but I seem to remember mention of some Rominis on 12in. wheels. Now I have just found out that Rominis came with 10, 12 or 13inch wheels!
    I am continuing to research this.
    One thing I have never tried is the "chalk test". Draw a chalk line across the tyre tread and move the caravan forward 3 or 4 wheel revolutions. If the chalk line is wearing off in the centre the tyre is too hard. Wearing off at the edges indicates too soft. It should wear off evenly across the tyre, showing the tread "footprint" is spread evenly on the ground. Of course, the test should be carried out with the van normally laden for use.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 28-08-2010, 13:51. Reason: Further comment
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Romini Tyre Pressure

My Romini Carvan Has 13" wheels and 35psi is printed on the tyre wall plus more information, I will look tomorrow in the day light for further information.
      They are caravan tyres. seagrub. Best to all.

Comment

My Kip caravan is a similar weight and size to the Romini.

When I bought it there were larger width caravan wheels fitted retro style to the van... which said all sorts of things on them, including a 65psi rating. The rating on the tyres is the maximum pressure the tyre can stand (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and not necessarily the correct pressure for the van.

My handbook (when translated from dutch - LOL) stated 42 psi... I had the tyres set at 38psi going to Wolverley in the spring and no probs on the way there, or on a 'test drive' before I went.

I blew the tyres up to 42psi for the return journey but it felt all wrong and 'twitchy' to tow, so I pulled over and returned the pressure to 38psi and had no more problems. So it seems to be more to do with the tyres that are fitted, unless they are the originals. My original tyres were smaller in width but the same in diameter.

Tyre pressure isn't an exact science though, is it? A chap on another site calculated the 38psi from the info re noseweight/van weight, etc, and he was right. So I reckon that as long as you have the same pressure each side and the van isn't twitchy when towing, it should be ok.

Comment

Romini Caravan Tyre Pressure.

I have just looked at my Romini Caravan Tyres, (13" wheels) re:- pressure etc.,

Radial SB-800, 145/R13-74S STEEL BELTED, TUBELESS.
          MAX, LOAD 920LBS AT 36PSI MAX.
          Hope this is of some help? Best regards. seagrub.
          Attached Files

Comment

Romini tyre pressures

Good to know. I hadn't checked my tyre pressures. But 40psi was what was on the service sheet I got after the service. Before I use the van again, I'll check to see what they are.

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by seagrub View Post
              I have just looked at my Romini Caravan Tyres, (13" wheels) re:- pressure etc.,

Radial SB-800, 145/R13-74S STEEL BELTED, TUBELESS.
              MAX, LOAD 920LBS AT 36PSI MAX.
              Hope this is of some help? Best regards. seagrub.
              Tha Max. load on each of your Romini tyres is not likely to be more than about 400LBS plus half of whatever you load into it. IGNORING the fact that the tow-bar load should be subtracted from the total.
              Jayjay has "fatter" tyres fitted which means they contain more air. Therefore they should not need to be inflated to as high a pressure as "thinner" tyres. Increasing the wheel diameter has the same effect. As already mentioned the pressure shown on the tyre is a pressure beyond which the tyre SHOULD NOT BE INFLATED. If higher pressures are required the tyre are not suitable.
              Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any formulae to convert tyre presures from one size to another.
              I cannot find any tyre pressure figures for the 145x13" wheels fitted to my Romini. But I am just back from the Isle of Wight via a tour round the South Coast totalling over 700 miles towing on the pressure I have already mentioned. The Romini has behaved impeccably throughout even at 60 mph on the M1. (Yes that WAS with my silly toy car!)
              Jim
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X