As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romini tow car

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini tow car

My new tow car is now parked on the drive. Shouldn't have any problem towing with this(once I get a tow bar fitted). Just been sitting in the car checking where everything works and so on. Only to discover that the right and left indicators (although working) do not show up on instrument cluster. In fact the instrument cluster doesn't light up at all (fabulous). I'll have to go back to the dealer tomorrow. Hi Ho

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
    My new tow car is now parked on the drive. Shouldn't have any problem towing with this(once I get a tow bar fitted). Just been sitting in the car checking where everything works and so on. Only to discover that the right and left indicators (although working) do not show up on instrument cluster. In fact the instrument cluster doesn't light up at all (fabulous). I'll have to go back to the dealer tomorrow. Hi Ho
    It sounds as if you have been waiting for the car (which looks Fab by the way) to be delivered. If it was, the delivery driver must have known there was a fault and should not have handed it over. Don't run around after them. Make them do the running around by collecting it and re-delivering it properly repaired. If you don't drive it they cannot try to blame you. Take a note of the mileage though. It's your petrol they will be burning.
    After a lifetime in and around the Motor Trade I know a lot of the "get outs" that are tried.
    If you do drive it, which would be illegal, it is your licence at risk.
    Good luck, Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 10-09-2010, 21:55.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Romini tow car

Hi Jim. I've never driven the car because it has no tax. It was delivered earlier today and put on my drive. It has a new MOT on it. I checked the ins and outs of MOT's and from what I read. Indicators should be checked and they must have an internal indication of operation on dashboard. They do not light up on dashboard, neither does the front fog light indicator and to cap it all the dashboard doesn't light up. It's a good job I was sitting on the drive checking the lights and not actually driving. Because nothing lit up. I am not a happy bunny. I really like the car though. It's nice to drive. So I hope I don't get the runaround tomorrow when I drive over in my Panda.

Pam

Comment

The points you mention are not just MOT failure points, but they are legal requirements for use on the road.
        At a guess, I think your dash panel will be a printed circuit unit and some of the connections have failed. Repair is usually not possible and a replacement unit relatively expensive. Several bulb (or LED) failures at the same time is too much of a coincidence to consider, though a faulty earth connection is a possibility.
        Don't stand any nonsense. The mere mention of a word with the Ministry of Transport about the issue of an MOT Cert. to a vehicle with obvious faults will probably frighten the lives out of them. I used to be an MOT Tester and it would have me!
        Jim.

Comment

Romini tow car

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          The points you mention are not just MOT failure points, but they are legal requirements for use on the road.
          At a guess, I think your dash panel will be a printed circuit unit and some of the connections have failed. Repair is usually not possible and a replacement unit relatively expensive. Several bulb (or LED) failures at the same time is too much of a coincidence to consider, though a faulty earth connection is a possibility.
          Don't stand any nonsense. The mere mention of a word with the Ministry of Transport about the issue of an MOT Cert. to a vehicle with obvious faults will probably frighten the lives out of them. I used to be an MOT Tester and it would have me!
          Jim.
          Hi Jim. i went across to the garage first thing this morning(in the Panda).The fella who was there said he would have the car collected on Monday morning first thing. I've checked the car again and when the ignition is first switched on the only light that comes on is the one about low petrol and airbag. When I indicate there are no flashers showing. When I switch the headlights on the only light that comes on is the full beam icon. And of course the instrument cluster is not lit up so I can't see what mph I'm doing or anything else for that matter. this is really concerning me as they told me that that it had failed it's mot because a rear spring needed replacing and they had ordered the part and were waiting for it's arrival. That's why there was such a delay in delivering it to me(and why I only got it yesterday). If it was a failure then surely there would have been a red mot certificate issued with advisory things that needed doing?Before they retested it. We'll see what happens on Monday.

Pam
          Last edited by pamsicle; 11-09-2010, 17:01. Reason: to add to

Comment

Hi Pam,
            If those pictures were there when I last looked they must have been off the bottom of my screen. I did not spot them.

The rev. counter indicates the engine is running in both pictures. Yet the low petrol warning light and the airbag icon are lit in one and not the other.
            I would expect the air bag icon to be lit only with the ignition on and the engine not started (along with oil warning light and ignition/charging warning light).
            When the engine was started all except the low fuel light should go out. Only staying lit if there is a problem. The fuel light will only go out when you satisfy its thirst with another drink of petrol (assuming it is not a diesel!)
            The pictures do not add up!
            Jim.

Comment

Romini tow car

Hi Pam,
              If those pictures were there when I last looked they must have been off the bottom of my screen. I did not spot them.

The rev. counter indicates the engine is running in both pictures. Yet the low petrol warning light and the airbag icon are lit in one and not the other.
              I would expect the air bag icon to be lit only with the ignition on and the engine not started (along with oil warning light and ignition/charging warning light).
              When the engine was started all except the low fuel light should go out. Only staying lit if there is a problem. The fuel light will only go out when you satisfy its thirst with another drink of petrol (assuming it is not a diesel!)
              The pictures do not add up!
              Jim.
              sorry Jim I might have confused you with the pics. The one on the left showing airbag and fuel comes on when I switch on the ignition then the airbag light goes out and the only light left on is the petrol icon. No other lights come on when I switch on the ignition. In fact the petrol light wouldn't stay on if I could get to a garage to give it a drink. The right hand picture I took after I switched on the lights and then put lights on full be so I could take the pic. Does that help. Pam

Comment

sorry Jim I might have confused you with the pics. The one on the left showing airbag and fuel comes on when I switch on the ignition then the airbag light goes out and the only light left on is the petrol icon. No other lights come on when I switch on the ignition. In fact the petrol light wouldn't stay on if I could get to a garage to give it a drink. The right hand picture I took after I switched on the lights and then put lights on full be so I could take the pic. Does that help. Pam
                The confusing bit was the readinng on the Rev. Counter. If you had only just switched on, without the engine running it should be reading zero. If the engine was running I would not expect the air bag icon to be lit.
                Jim

Comment

romini tow car

The confusing bit was the readinng on the Rev. Counter. If you had only just switched on, without the engine running it should be reading zero. If the engine was running I would not expect the air bag icon to be lit.
                  Jim
                  I'll just go and check again. I will not switch the engine on I'll just turn the key. I'll get back to you.

Pam

Comment

Romini tow car

I'll just go and check again. I will not switch the engine on I'll just turn the key. I'll get back to you.

Pam
                    OK Turned the car ON engine not running. Airbag light and low petrol light on. Then airbag light goes out. Rev counter is nil. Switching engine on rev counter needle goes up to just under 2. Switching engine off rev counter needle goes up to 4 then slowly drops to nil.

Pam

Comment

OK Turned the car ON engine not running. Airbag light and low petrol light on. Then airbag light goes out. Rev counter is nil. Switching engine on rev counter needle goes up to just under 2. Switching engine off rev counter needle goes up to 4 then slowly drops to nil.

Pam
                      That does not seem normal Pam.
                      I am not familiar with Ravs, though I have seen rev. counters flicker when the key is turned. Each number represents a thousand revs and I would expect it to show around 1250 to 1500 revs when running cold and around 1000 or less when warmed up. I have never met one which did not drop immediately to zero when the engine stops, without going upwards first.
                      I would be inclined to contact the Service Department of the nearest dealer for that make and ask them whether that behavior is normal on that car, but it does seem another abnormality to me. Even if it shows true engine speed when the engine is running it may be an indication of an imminent failure.
                      Jim.

Comment

Lovely car though, Pam. I hope you get it all sorted ok.

Comment

Romini tow car

As of Friday 24th I no longer own the Rav4. After having the car for over a week and me phoning every other day to find out what was going on. The dealer finally admitted that they were having problems fixing the car and offered me my money back. Pity they hadn't said something sooner as on the Monday I had gone and put 6 months tax on it and insured it for a month(me being impatient again). They initially said it was a lambda? sensor which was for checking the emissions from the exhaust (I thought that an emissions test was done in an MOT). Then they said the sensor had arrived and it was the wrong one? then they said they were having problems getting the spare part?
                          I had been contacted by my local trading standards officer on the Wednesday ( I had contacted them initially because of my concerns) who asked what was happening with the car. I explained it had been at the dealers for a week and I still didn't know what was happening but he said to phone him back on the Friday if I still didn,t have the car. He seemed suspicious about the goings on. I phoned him on Friday to say that I was getting my money back.
                          So the next time I go looking for a second hand car, my neighbour who is a car nut has said he will go with me. I'm sooooo pleased that I didn't sell my Fiat Panda, otherwise I would have been right up the creek.

Pam

Comment

Oh dear, Pam, so sorry this has happened. At least you'll get your money back, so that's something. Will they also compensate you for the insurance/tax you've paid for or can you get that back another way?

It must be a proper disappointment for you. I hope you soon find a much better tow car!

Comment

Romini tow car

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                              Oh dear, Pam, so sorry this has happened. At least you'll get your money back, so that's something. Will they also compensate you for the insurance/tax you've paid for or can you get that back another way?

It must be a proper disappointment for you. I hope you soon find a much better tow car!
                              Morning jayjay. I've sent the tax disc back to get a refund but you know what insurance companies are like. Even though I'd only had the insurance for 5 days I doubt I will get a refund. There was a £75 cancellation feeeven though I explained the situation with the car. It's my own fault though for actually thinking I would get the car back. I should really have waited until I did get it back before taxing and insuring it. another of lifes little lessons learned
                              Pam

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X