How viable is rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
    You're right there! Never changed the cam chain, but have to have the sills welded nearly every year.. and had to have the wheel arches welded as well last year.... at 93K though, I'm not complaining...
    The car I bought two days ago has more mileage on the clock jayjay and has no welding or rust anywhere.
    The Rover it replaces now on sale on ebay only has surface rust and one or two "car park" scratches at more miles than your car.
    It is age type of use/care and parking facilities more than mileage which produces rust.

Here is a link to my Rover now on sale. Note the mileage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013730480...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

JimW.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Always a few Land Rover campers on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover...item2a51fc512d

Land Rovers hold their value too
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Hi Rob B,

It is getting expensive to buy a project Series 2 Land Rover (1958-1972) and Series 3 (1972-1984) are going the same way. Series 1 are through the roof. Reckon up to £2,000 for a new galvanised chassis, and similar for a new galvanised bulkhead with a long wait. On the other hand, a new exhaust system, complete with all nuts and bolts, clamps, and straps is nearer £40, a set of three seats for under £100, and a master cylinder was about £12 last time I looked. Zero depreciation, A Discovery engine is almost a straight swap and will give you 30mpg. But scrap Discos are starting to creep up ... I wonder why?

When I started rebuilding my Landy, the plan was to convert it to a "bivvy" ... somewhere to have a kip if Travelodge had no vacancies, or while waiting for the first train of the day through the Channel Tunnel. It currently has a pop-top roof. But old age does not come alone, and clambering into the front seats is becoming an effort (18" high step), so performing life functions in the back will be an effort. But never sell a pram, or a bicycle, or an old Land Rover ... you will regret it.

Some Land Rovers were built as ambulances, and are now used as campers. Google should find you a picture. The military loaded de-mountable "pods" onto Land Rovers, which occasionaly appear on Ebay at about £1,000, unless they have started to go up too. Not pretty. I'll post a picture if I can work out how.

That Eriba in France appealed because it was so old.

I've never had a timing chain break, nor a belt for that matter, but I had timing gears break up on me. Mind you, I was approaching 50mph in first gear. Roar ... pop ... silence! Ruined that weekend. A neighbour broke the belt on his hi-top T25. Broke his heart too, couldn't afford to have it fixed, so had to sell the van. I've since learned the some engines are "non-interferance" and some are "interferance", and Google can tell you the difference.

Nope! No good, I can't work out how to post a picture. I did see something about pictures in the PICTURES section, while I was on Kindle.

Comment

Hi,

I'd already asked, answer was waiting. Tree thingy!LAND ROVER DEMOUNTABLE POD.jpgLAND ROVER SERIES AMBULANCE.jpg

OK, pics apparently loaded.

As you can see ( I hope) the demountable is not pretty.

The ambulance looks better, but is not demountable, and I think lacks headroom.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

My dad made a campervan out of an old ambulance years ago. It was lovely inside and with a lot of headroom. He sold it as it cost a fortune in petrol to run it.

Comment

Hi Jayjay,

I've read that insurance companies don't like ambulance conversions ... or was it mobile library conversions?

Not so long ago, EBay had frequent listings for DAF ambulances fitted with Ford V6 engines, for not a lot of money. As any Ford gearbox can (or could) fit any Ford engine, the ambulances might have been good candidates for a diesel transplant.

If anybody has a Sherpa based camper ... a Sherpa engine drops easily into a Series Land Rover. And so does a Discovery TDi. That might suggest that the Disco engine might drop into a Sherpa ... probably improve fuel consumption, but will be unnaturally "brisk".

Whatever, I've told SWMBO that I'm taking her out one day this week, to Peterborough. She didn't ask why so I didn't tell her. I wonder what vans Bumblebee have in stock ... :-) ?

Comment

I like Peugeots. Of all modern cars they seem to resist rust best. I've had a 405, two 306s, three 205s and three 106s. All diesels, so all economical and could be run on cooking oil. That is until the supermarkets cottoned on and increased the price so it's cheaper to buy it at the pumps. Then I upgraded to a 206 and fell foul of the electronics. Never again but one of the earlier models may still find its way onto my driveway in the future.

My daily driver at the moment is a Ford Galaxy, which is cheap to run. Again a diesel, with a very high mileage (212000). But it just goes on running and it's never been welded. And I can get anything up to 54 mph. out of it. It's more or less a small Transit van with seats that can be taken out in order to carry anything I want, so it's a very useful vehicle.

My Camper is a Talbot Avalon. Again a diesel, because when unleaded petrol was introduced, the authorities couldn't tell us which cars were safe to run on the stuff. Nowadays they don't even call it petrol anymore - It's just "Unleaded".

I also drive a 1958 Wolseley 1500 regularly Which is powered by Unleaded whatever they want to call it, but I always fill up with Super grade because apparently they can't guarantee the octane rating if ethanol is added, so it is not so likely to be present in "Super", or if it is, it won't be in such great quantities.

My other toys are: A 1948 Wolseley Eight, which has been off the road since about 1972. I have got it running and it's got brakes. It hasn't got any rust, and if I can get the 6 volt electrics sorted I hope to be driving it down the Queen's Highway before the bad weather starts.

Then there's the 1933 Morris Minor. I got this one as a pile of bits in 1988 and I've started on it five times, then bought something else and taken it to bits to make room. I had it running and had started on the wiring when the Wolseley Eight arrived. But this time it won't get taken to bits again. It will get finished - One day.

Comment

Hi Myke,

Most of the cars you mention are, or are similar to, the clunkers I used to buy for £5 or less, after I had discovered girls, but before I discovered women. I taught my wife to drive in Penang in a 1951 Sunbean Talbot 90. Cost me the Malay equivalent of £25. (Two years living on Penang ... and she says I never take her anywhere).

Whatever, we went to see Bumblebee today. Arrived to find a note to say they had popped out would be back soon. Went for a pub lunch, returned to find a note to say that they had popped out and be back soon. ??? I peered through the windows of a couple of vans parked outside (Toyota equivalent of Mazda Bongo?), decided that they were not quite just too big enough for our needs (while a Bambi would be it there was more legroom in cab). So our shortlist is fast approaching a choice of one - VW T2. Otherwise we will have to change our parameters.

Visions of cobbling a coach-built luton onto a Citroen 2CVm fitting a GSA engine. My mate had a Ford Thames 15cwt van, shoehorned a Zodiac straight-6 engine into it ... effortless 100mph. It's been sitting in his garden for at least 25 years.

PENANG BMW 12.jpg

Comment

This is my current play mobile. A 1958 Wolseley 1500 which was designed to be the replacement for the Morris Minor, (But it didn't work out so they gave it another name).Photographed two tears ago with the Viking Fibreline caravan at Thoresby park.

We swapped the Fibreline for the Talbot Avalon last year which tows the Wolseley on an "A" frame.018.jpg

Comment

Hi Mike,

Wolsely looks nice (and they also made excelent underwear, or was it socks?). Something in my memory banks says that body shell was made in Australia as a Morris Major. I always wanted a Riley 1.5 when I was younger ... amazing how age changes your attitudes towards twin-carbs. Nowadays, both of us have problems getting in and out of the cars we desire, and it seems the same constraints will be affecting our choice of camper.

Comment

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
                        Hi Mike,

Wolsely looks nice (and they also made excelent underwear, or was it socks?). Something in my memory banks says that body shell was made in Australia as a Morris Major. I always wanted a Riley 1.5 when I was younger ... amazing how age changes your attitudes towards twin-carbs. Nowadays, both of us have problems getting in and out of the cars we desire, and it seems the same constraints will be affecting our choice of camper.

You are right. The BMC design was intended to be the Series II Morris Minor but the original car was still selling too well, so it was introduced in Australia as the Morris Major and Austin Lancer.

Then it was introduced in UK as a small luxury Saloon with the Wolseley or Riley badge. Mechanically, The Riley was the same spec. as the MGB with twin carbs and fuel consumption of 25mpg. and the Wolseley was geared up and gave 33 mpg.

My own experience is that the original Minor is a better all round design. The Wolseley is nice to sit in, but the engine is too heavy, effects the steering and is nowhere near as nippy as the Minor.

Still, it's ok for an old guy like me.

PS. In your original post you mentioned a CA Camper. How's this?058.jpg
                        Last edited by MYKE; 25-06-2015, 19:06.

Comment

Hi,

We had a CA Dormobile (Romany) many years ago, but at that time it was just the family hack, and we never camped in it. I think I sold it for £250. I wish I had it now. Seats were clever in how they converted into a bed, but I thought they might be too slippery to sleep on. ???

Years later, I had a CA Debonair project ... I have just browsed through my photo albums, found a picture of it on the trailer we brought it home on, probably behind my 1957 Land Rover S1. Picture is lost back in the drawer. I can't say I liked it, too big ... and the seat belt was a man trap that would wrap round your ankles just as you jumped out. I never got it running ... bits missing from the engine ... and sold it for £140, but never actually got paid.

I agree, I quite like the Morris "Midwife", but SWMBO doesn't, so no point in yearning. She'd like a GT6. but ravages of age would make it unsensible. She had a Reliant Sabre 6GT as her shopping car for 9 years, just a hack, sold it as a project when chassis rust became uneconomic (100 hours at £15 per hour). It's now back on the road, and competing in Historic events (see photo).

While caravanning in Scotland a few years ago (er 1993) I found an old car lying under rubbish at back of a garage. I offered to get rid of it for the proprietor, as a favour. He wasn't interested. I offered to buy it. Still not interested, but he said I could take photos. On closer inspection, it was remarkably tidy. I sent the photos to my mate, Mike Worthington Williams, for his "Buried Treasure" columns in Classic Car Mart. He phoned the following day .."Important car that, raced at Le Mans in 1929". Lea Francis, registration VC400.

My requirement is for a camper small enough to park in the garden, two single beds to avoid clambering over "Her Indoors" to visit the facilities in middle of night, facilities must be en-suite (prostate says I can't, blood pressure tablets say I must ... at my age you can talk about such things), and somewhere to boil a kettle first thing in the morning while standing upright (arthritic knees). All that suggests that I need 8ft long by at least 5ft wide, preferably 6ft wide. I keep returning to the VW.

But plans are on back-burner, buyers have withdrawn from purchase of our spare house ... surveyor says a purlin needs replacing, and there might be subsidence ... or might not. I want to just chuck it into an auction, get what we can, it doesn't owe us anything. "She" wants to hang out for what she feels it is worth. I regret to say she is normally right. Maybe I'll sulk for a few days, then suggest we pull three or four thousand out of the kitty, buy a VW, coz I want to nip over to France, pay respects to my Uncle John who was KIA at Paschendale (sp?). How can anybody have an uncle who died a hundred years ago? Don't seem natural.

RELIANT SABRE 6GT 361WYD 01.jpg

Comment

Hi Myke,

I found the photos of the Debonair. Here she be on the trailer.

602BEDFORD CA DEBONAIR 03.jpg

Comment

I had a Dormobile in 1975-ish and I agree with you about the seats converting into a bed. Wonderful idea, and I can't imagine why no
                              one uses a similar system now.

I've never fancied the VW Camper myself. (Too rust prone). I had a little Fiat camper way back which was a similar sort of thing with the 850 engine in the back . Surprisingly nippy, and it had a pop up roof, but no toilet.

From your list of requirements I take it that your needs are the same as mine so I would suggest you have a look at the Talbot Fiat Peugeot range.

For my purposes, which are similar to yours, it fits the bill. It's a high top so you can stand up and move about in comfort, and it has an on board loo which is big enough to use comfortably. It can also be used as a shower compartment and the whole van is small enough to fit on a supermarket parking space so it can be parked on the garden when not in use.

I'm delighted with mine. Does it show?

Comment

Hi Myke,

I had FIAT Ducati van, which we slept in ... like an oven in French sunshine.

Later, we had a Talbot camper that had been molested. Pro ba Billy started life as a mini-bus, as it had a "slam" middle door. I think I have a photo of that as well, I'll check when I'm on my desk-top.

Both of those vans had disgusting gear shifts, but I understand it can be fixed ... for a couple of hundred quid.

Talbot, FIAT, Citroen, all the same basic vehicle. Which is best/worst for rust? If all else is equal, I suppose Citroen leads, as built in the country we are most likely to visit. Talbots are likely to be cheapest, and most lacking in TLC.

Yep, toilets are important to me. If women mock "old men's problems", remind them of their problems when pregnant.

Hmmm,Talbot? Hmmmm!

Comment