Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awnings...yet again!

Hello everyone,

I should be on the road next month for my first trip out after renovating my newly bought Romini....at least my little dog likes going to sleep in it!

I have an awning that went with the sale, but it is quite heavy, and with the heavy steel metal poles, will be quite difficult to put up by myself....if I knew what it looks like in the first place. It doesn't look in top condition, so may discard it after checking it over (haven't had the courage to unfold it yet:-))
    To save my strength and energy I was wondering about the 'air awnings' that seem to be the trend nowadays....just pump up the 'poles' and it is all done in a few minutes.

Has anyone tried this type, and could anyone recommend one that isn't too expensive, please? I'm concerned about the weight when towing, and the weight in trying to erect the one I have.

Just have the stripes to put on the Romini, give it a good wash and polish, sort out food for the both of us, and off we jolly will go into the sunset or beyond! The pile of stuff in the spare room doesn't look like it will all go in the 'van, so will have to be some serious editing of bits.....all fun though.

Take care, DavidG
    Last edited by DavidG; 18-08-2015, 16:25. Reason: Spelling

Awnings...yet again

These are the awnings I've had on my Romini. The present one The kampa pod is looking like it could be a keeperimage.jpg

Pam

Comment

Thanks for all the photos, Pam. They all look good to me, but which one is the Kampa Pod?

Are they easy to put up by a single person, as this is a problem I've been mulling over in my mind....the reason for thinking of an air awning with pump-up 'poles', and being lighter to transport. If the Kampa is the best, then I may go for that...if I can't sort out the pile of poles and material in the garage that purports to be an awning.

I'd like a functional awning for the dog's sake too, as it will give him more freedom than just the 'van.
      DavidG
      Last edited by DavidG; 19-08-2015, 12:09. Reason: Missed wording

Comment

Awnings ...yet again

The kampa pod which I can put up by myself is the light gray domed one.

from top to bottom a Harrison type canvas awning. Very heavy
        Outdoor revolution well made but took me ages to put up
        Reimo tour easy 2 fairly easy to put up by myself
        Then the kampa pod up in 5 minutes

Pam
        Last edited by pamsicle; 19-08-2015, 13:57.

Comment

pamsicle is that the campa pod air one?

Comment

Aenings...yet again

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
            pamsicle is that the campa pod air one?
            No it's the express pop up one.

Pam

Comment

Another 'awning' you might like to consider is the queshua base camp - it's a tent though, not a driveaway awning, which you can place fairly near your door (you need enough room to open the door, I think) goes up in a second or two, then you only have to peg it down. Lots of small motorhomers have these. Getting it packed up again can be a bit complicated, but with practice, shouldn't take long either. There are videos somewhere here on how to put it down again, and there are a few pics in the awnings section in some of the threads. It won't join onto your caravan and you will have a bit of a gap, but it's up in five seconds!
              http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seco...FUoJwwodQLQI2g

The air awnings are getting a bit of bad press at the moment - seems a lot of them deflate slowly. There have also been reports that you need to watch how much air you put in, as different outside temps will affect the amount of pressure in expansion and contraction with the temperature. If you are thinking of getting one, check out the reviews before you buy.
              Last edited by jayjay; 20-08-2015, 09:37.

Comment

Awnings yet again

Hi,
                My son has just given me a motordome.

I have a Kyham Quick Erect Screendome for sale now, only been used twice, has the poles & pegs, for the sunshade also has the instructions.

I can put it up on my own, thats why I bought it.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=341

Anyone interested message me.

I will be advertising it elsewhere, but thought I would give anyone on the forum first choice

Patricia

Comment

The Quechua only weighs 8kg (I believe), our dog loved it! Two very strong points in its favour!

q - Edited.jpg
                  Mary

Comment

I really like the design of that Quechua....almost space-age. Are they still available for my dog to appreciate, and would it fit the Romini?

DavidG

Comment

Originally posted by DavidG View Post
                      I really like the design of that Quechua....almost space-age. Are they still available for my dog to appreciate, and would it fit the Romini?

DavidG
                      It's actually a stand alone tent... so you would have to leave space for your door to open. They seem to fit well, cosied up to the back of the side sliding doors, but not sure about the standard back doors of romahomes and rominis. I have seen one pitched at the back of a Romahome C15, but there was a gap twixt back door and tent. It all depends on whether the height of the door can be accommodated inside the frame of the tent. I wish they would make one of these with a drive-away tunnel, then it would be ok, I think. I would love one for my caravan, as they are so easy to get up, but I'm pretty sure that the height would be a problem. Although the obvious solution is to make a tunnel for the middle. A tarp or a shower curtain spring to mind, but you can actually buy tent material, so you could make a proper one if you were really keen!

Comment

The Kampa Pod Express that Pam has goes up very like the Quecha, with the advantage of already having the tunnel to connect to the van.

http://www.kampa.co.uk/drive-away/travel-pod-xpress

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                          The Kampa Pod Express that Pam has goes up very like the Quecha, with the advantage of already having the tunnel to connect to the van.

http://www.kampa.co.uk/drive-away/travel-pod-xpress
                          Yes, they do have the tunnel, but it's not very large.... (could extend it though)... also, can't seem to find one to buy anywhere, I think they might be discontinued. Pretty sure Pam bought hers off ebay second user.

Every site I've tried says sold out for 2015, but might be back in stock for 2016, hopefully!
                          Last edited by jayjay; 31-08-2015, 13:25.

Comment

The Kampa Travel Pod Express seems to be relaunched every year. Pam's came from me, unused. I thought it would be perfect for my little van, but I was surprised by its size when it arrived. The combination of a tiny unit and three dogs, one if which needs to travel on the floor, meant that it wasn't suitable for my needs. They are,however, very robust and well made, and, if available in the future, I would certainly consider one again. Having tried another awning and having a leg snap off the second time I put it up, which was also my first camping trip, I bought a Quechua from Decathlon. Lightweight and easy to put up, I think this may be the answer, certainly while I still have my oldest dog, who deserves some comfort when travelling.
                            Claire

Comment

Originally posted by DavidG View Post

DavidG
                              You can buy them from Decathlon. As Jayjay says they are stand alone, I tried constructing a tunnel but the Quechua is such a clean, neat design anything added on spoilt it. They seem very flexible and would really fit next to most things.
                              Mary

Comment