This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my Romini survive the winter?

It's holding on in there but now I have a few things to do. Hopefully when we get into the warmer drier weather I will be able to close my cupboard doors. I've just found the carpet by the door rather wet(the roof vent is just above it). In the front locker/cupboards above the table, the roof of the van which can be seen when cupboard open is lined with polystyrene sections and one of them has fallen off. I.d taken out the seats over the winter and placed little plastic tubs of salt around the inside.Salt certainly soaks up the damp. Now that the weather is a bit better I've been opening a side window and the roof vent to air it out,
    I wonder if I should put a heater in there to warm the place and maybe my wooden doors will shrink back to normal size so that i can close them. Apart from that my little van has held up.

Pam

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
    It's holding on in there but now I have a few things to do. Hopefully when we get into the warmer drier weather I will be able to close my cupboard doors. I've just found the carpet by the door rather wet(the roof vent is just above it). In the front locker/cupboards above the table, the roof of the van which can be seen when cupboard open is lined with polystyrene sections and one of them has fallen off. I.d taken out the seats over the winter and placed little plastic tubs of salt around the inside.Salt certainly soaks up the damp. Now that the weather is a bit better I've been opening a side window and the roof vent to air it out,
    I wonder if I should put a heater in there to warm the place and maybe my wooden doors will shrink back to normal size so that i can close them. Apart from that my little van has held up.

Pam
    One day soon you will be sitting outside your van in the warm spring sunshine,and winter will be forgotten and it will be wonderfull.
    There are good things to come.

Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Perhaps I ought to open the door on mine one day to see if the inside is still there Pam!
      After all it has survived over a score of winters without mishap so I am fairly optimistic.
      Jim.
      PS. I missed an awning (I think) like yours by £2 on Ebay on Tuesday.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
        Perhaps I ought to open the door on mine one day to see if the inside is still there Pam!
        After all it has survived over a score of winters without mishap so I am fairly optimistic.
        Jim.
        PS. I missed an awning (I think) like yours by £2 on Ebay on Tuesday.
        shame about that. I'll keep my eyes open.I must have been really lucky that day.

Pam

Comment

I bought a caravan cover for mine and it does seem to have done the trick! All inside is fine. I did bring the seats in over the winter, but left the backs there.

If you do put some heat on (a good thing just before you're going away) then keep the windows and doors open so that any condensation/damp will disperse.

Apparantly you should bring in all stuff in bottles as prone to freezing then bursting on thawing. I have seen reports of lemonade and toilet fluid going pop - plus the resultant mess. I hope it isn't the roof vent, although it's easily cured with sikaflex sealent if so.

Nearly Spring now!

Comment

I read with interest jayjay of the toilet fluid going pop, I left two large bottles under one of the seats, in actual fact I forgot about them, I will check latter, trust all is fine.......... inshalla. let you know how I get on.
            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
            'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Apparantly you should bring in all stuff in bottles as prone to freezing then bursting on thawing.
              Actually, liquids burst their container when they freeze. It's only when they thaw that it becomes apparent and the liquid is a problem.

Certainly you should take bottled liquids out to prevent any problems but if you do get caught out by a sudden cold snap, there is time to remove any burst bottles while the contents are still frozen.

Comment

Absolutely right Paul!
                It is amazing how few people realise that and insist on thawing things out slowly and carefully to prevent bursting.
                In contrast to almost everything else ice actually EXPANDS as the temperature falls a to a few degrees below freezing and then the damage occurs.
                Even when anti-freeze is added to water, if the temperature falls far enough the mixture will freeze solid and then expand.
                Only a week or two ago someone on the telly broadcast advice about thawing things out gently to avoid bursts, though a more informed correction was later issued.
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Checked my van for the toilet fluids stored under the seats during the very cold spell, I'm pleased to say all is fine, no burst liquid bottles I have left them their now as the extreamly cold freezing weather has gone, SPRING IS ON THE WAY, my daffs are comeing up in the garden love it..........
                  Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                  'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X