As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romini gas locker broken into

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini gas locker broken into

Noticed this morning as I pulled the car out of the garage that my gas locker lid was open. On closer inspection someonehas broken the nylon latch(the padlock was still intact). Luckily there was nothing in the locker apart from some wooden blocks. But I have had to go and buy another latch. I bought a metal hasp type this time although fitting it could be tricky as the old latch is attached by pop rivets and I don't have a pop riveter. Also I think I will have to drill out the old pop rivets. What a pain. I could of course just replace the part of the nylon latch that is broken but I would still have to pop rivet it. Maybe when the sun starts shining again I'll try to sort it out.

Pam

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
    Noticed this morning as I pulled the car out of the garage that my gas locker lid was open. On closer inspection someonehas broken the nylon latch(the padlock was still intact). Luckily there was nothing in the locker apart from some wooden blocks. But I have had to go and buy another latch. I bought a metal hasp type this time although fitting it could be tricky as the old latch is attached by pop rivets and I don't have a pop riveter. Also I think I will have to drill out the old pop rivets. What a pain. I could of course just replace the part of the nylon latch that is broken but I would still have to pop rivet it. Maybe when the sun starts shining again I'll try to sort it out.

Pam
    phone your repair garage and ask if they would "pop" the new one on.
    Its worth paying a few quid. Sounds like thieving teens looking for a gas cylinder to sell for drugs.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Aw noooo! No respect for ppls property these days. So sorry to hear this and hope it can be mended ok.

I had a neighbour once who kept having the badge stolen off her BMW car, but she stopped that by wiring it to the battery! It certainly worked though! not that I'm suggesting you do the same, Pam!

Comment

rommini gas locker

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
        Aw noooo! No respect for ppls property these days. So sorry to hear this and hope it can be mended ok.

I had a neighbour once who kept having the badge stolen off her BMW car, but she stopped that by wiring it to the battery! It certainly worked though! not that I'm suggesting you do the same, Pam!
        Do you know I'd thought of something like that. Now if I knew how to wire up the battery I'd give it a go. Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
          Do you know I'd thought of something like that. Now if I knew how to wire up the battery I'd give it a go. Pam
          If only it was so easy Pam, but 12volts would not even tickle a fly!
          Sorry to be reading about your misfortune Pam. I wish I was close enough to help. I even have a pop-riveter and rivets. Surely at least one friend or aquaintance will be able to lend you one? A lot of DIYers do have one.
          Might I suggest that a metal fastener is not a good idea on two counts?
          Firstly: if you had the locker fastened with a steel type there would probably have been a lot of damage to the locker as it failed before the fastener. Secondly: steel fasteners soon go rusty and unsightly and if they rust they stain fibreglass indelibly, which looks horrible.
          I would suggest a nylon one again, but if possible leave the locker unlocked and empty when parked at home.

Anyway, you have prompted me to do just that with mine.
          Regards, Jim.
          PS by the way: I am still waiting for the chap to come my way with the awning. He is, seemingly, a courier and he seems likely to come this way soon.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Romini locker

Great to hear you might soon be getting your awning. As for the locker. I bought a metal hasp today. But I've just been and checked the lock with a torch. I may just replace the staple as the other half of the latch is ok. I used to have a riveter but I think I lent it to my brother which means I will never get it back since he's moved house and probably lost it. There might be another one somewhere in the garage. I'll look tomorrow. I know that neither of my neighbours on either side don't have one as I asked.

Pam

Comment

Romini locker

Hi Pam
              Sorry to hear of your misfortune, so annoying and inconvenient for you, good idea of Ian's go to your local garage to POP the your new one, two minute job may may not even charge you if you use them for servicing etc. best of luck whatever you do.
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

pam

pam do not no ware u live if u up north could have a look for u [email protected]

Comment

romini locker

Thanks so much for the offer digg. But now sorted. A man I had doing a job for me last week, came to collect some gear he had left behind. Mentioned the locker to him and he just happened to have his riveter with him and I just happened to have been and bought a new plastic locker catch that morning. couldn,t have worked out better if I'd planned it. I haven't locked it this time since there's nothing in there but a few wooden levelling blocks. I keep the gas bottles in the garage over winter.
                  It cost me £4 for the catch and a cup of tea and a biscuit to get the job done. Just in case you're wondering where up north I am. I'm 14 miles north of Newcastle.

Pam

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X