Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romini new leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Romini new leak

    I can't believe there is another leak. I'm so mad I could crush a grape.

    Just admiring my lovely clean, nothing else to do to it Romini, earlier on and low and behold there mmust have been a leak at the front right hand seat storage. I still haven't figured out how to stop the door leaking yet.

    I was checking under the right hand seat storage and I lifted out an mdf board that is always kept in there((I was actually going to remove it).As I lifted it out, I saw that it was soaking wet. Lifting the carpet in the corner, there was a puddle and a rusty bolt. Going outside I checked the corner area by the aluminium trim, which ever since I have owned the Romini has had a dint in it. Is the water getting in there. Should Iput some clear sealant around the area.?
    IMG_4999.jpgIMG_5002.jpgIMG_5003.jpgIMG_5005.jpg

    Maybe a lot of water soaked in when it was getting washed the other day. But the Romin has been out in heavy rain and that board that lies in the corner, has never been wet before.
    These things are sent to try us.

    Pam

    #2
    Romini new leak

    Just came across this photo I posted when I was putting new lining in the Romini. I forgot about this. This is the right hand seating area. Clearly there must be a leak around that damagedright front end. Because the base of the board is wet and I now remember finding a small patch of water just below the board, where the seat sits.

    Is is possible to have the aluminium trim straightened out and the gap filled. Or am I limited to using clear sealant. Suggestions welcome.
    IMG_5007.JPG

    Pam

    Comment


      #3
      What a downer Pam!
      Just like when you were working around the door with filler strip etc. That bent trim is just a larger variation of the same thing.
      If you remove the black filler strip you will find the aluminium extrusion is fastened with screws or pop rivets - pop rivets can usually be removed by using an over-large drill to remove the rivet heads and then by driving the rest of the rivet through with a punch. Then the aluminium extrusion may lend itself to being straightened, But having after years of losing its malleability (ability to be shaped without fracturing) it might be best to get a coach-builder with adequate under cover space to do it.
      Perhaps hardly a DIY job out in the open.
      You have already demonstrated your ability with inprovements I would not have undertaken so I will leave you to decide who and where.
      Good Luck.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

      Comment


        #4
        Romini new leak

        I took out the black filler strip and gave it a good wash, before putting it back. You're right Jim, it is pop rivetted all the way around.
        It maybe could be straightened out. but the fibreglass body has been pushed in slightly as well. If it were possible to straighten up the strip. There would be a bigger gap. Some filler must have been used in the past as I can feel it around the area of the damage. Maybe I could get a small tube of marine grade clear silicone an run a bead along the area.

        Pam

        Comment


          #5
          Perhaps sealant is the best move Pam. And now would be a good time to do it with this warm weather drying the cavity out. Sealant will be no good if there is even a trace of damp.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

          Comment


            #6
            Pam,
            My solution would be slightly more long-winded (but I work on the principle better to do the job once, than to do it quickly and then do once again).

            Remove / loosen section of aluminium trim as per 2 Litre - undo screws or drill out pop-rivett as applicable - if the screws are rusted in try WD40 (what have you) leave to soak for 24 hours before trying again - If you are defeated then I am afraid the solution is to drill it out. Now put in fresh sealant - I prefer using expensive Sikaflex to Silicone (eventually silicone dries out shrinks and leaks) Refasten the trim in place - if you drilled out screws you may need to use pop-rivetts. - probably 4mm dia x 12mm. My final wheeze a thin smear of sealant over the screw heads / pop-rivetts before replacing the trim rubber.

            BTW Marine grade Sikaflex or Geocell Works can be used on damp surfaces another plus over Silicone!
            Jon
            Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

            Comment


              #7
              Cheers very helpful Jon

              Comment

              320x50 mobile only under posts

              Collapse

              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

              Collapse
              Working...
              X