This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I do the wrong thing?

My wooden cupboard doors in the Romini are finally closing properly after the long cold winter. But did i do the wrong thing of leaving them ajar through the winter months. the reason I ask is that the door under the burner. Where the fridge would normally be closes and then within a few minutes, springs open again. I can see that the door has a warp to it. Is there anything I can do about this or am I going to have to use gaffa tape to keep the door closed when I'm on the move

Pam

OOOh I hope not, Pam! Cold just be that it's not quite dry yet. Open all your windows and put a heater in there for an hour, that should do the trick. Also you could try putting a bit of vaseline on the door catch.

Comment

If it really wont stay shut,the easiest and cheapest option is go to a do it yourself store and get a small cupboard hook and eye set,screw the eye one side of the door and the hook the other,and its job done.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I got a little slide bolt for one of mine, now I remember - as I had exactly the same problem with the door above the cooker!!

It 'should' work ok once again once it's dried out properly though. Could be the door catch needs replacing, but I'd wait and see if heat does the trick first.

Comment

Leaving the doors ajar might encourage warping, I have never left mine other than fastened shut and they open and close with no problems.
          It is difficult to tell what they are made from with the finishing layer on the front and back surfaces, but I think (unfortunately I did not take much notice) that I saw they were chipboard when I replaced the iron on strip round the edge of one.
          Chipboard is notorious for warping if allowed to get damp and humidity is enough to affect it. If they are damp at all, clamping two stout pieces of straight timber longitudinaly front and back of the door while it dries out should help. Or alternatively removing the door and placing it on a flat surface with a heavy weight on top. If you have any chipboard shelves anywhere you will be able to see that they always develop a permanent sag under the weight they are carrying. Permanent, that is, unless you unload them and turn them over periodically. If you have the time in hand you could always use them as a shelf until they straighten up!
          Sorry Pam. I really should not make a joke of this, but there is an element of possibility in the last sentence of the previous paragraph.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Have I done the wrong thing

Hi Jim
            You might recall when I posted some internal pics of the van. That all my cupboard doors are solid pine. when I've seen other pics of the inside of a Romini they all appear to be none wood doors. If I can get the two remaining doors to finally close, I'll leave them that way over the winter.

Pam

Comment

Hi Pam, I did not realise your doors were solid pine. Once seasoned I think about the only thing which would warp those is heat. Such as exposure to strong sunlight for long periods. But with the weather we've had????????
              Jim.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X