towed away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

towed away

The start of BIG restoration. Avonbridge caravan repairs towed Romini to workshop very surprised that lights worked! Huge list and still waiting for estimate. wasn't sure where to stop. Really nice guy who admired little van and not looked down at total wreck. can't wait to get on with finer details of upholstery and curtains when it returns. The bad news is that 2 weeks on have not heard from them.

Oooo-er, don't like the sound of that! Do you know where the 'nice guy' has his workshop? I hope you've got his phone number. I would have been on the phone by now even if it was just to ask how he was getting on. Not that I'm mistrustful or anything....
    Cynthia.

Comment

Will ring them next week. They are quite local to me and have web site so think they are OK. Let you know. Was the only company that came back to me!!!

Comment

What are you having done if you don't mind me asking?.

Frank
        Last edited by Rob B; 06-12-2017, 12:39 PM. Reason: removed additional blank spaces

Comment

HI Frank. Not sure where to begin thought when I bought my Romin all I would need to do was make pretty curtains and cushions - pictures can be deceiving on eBay! so .... new door and window seals, rooflight and jockey wheel assembly. New internal lights and electrics checked and battery put in outside boot where gas bottle was as gas being taken out and portable camping gas hob instead. Brake linings and drums.

Have nearly scrapped off all the internal walls myself and this company said they could do the carpet lining but this will have to go into phase two. I will also need to take off all the cupboard doors as they have been painted in thick red gloss and when all that is done I can continue with my lovely fabrics and make this little van as lovely as some of the ones I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by elly View Post
            HI Frank. Not sure where to begin thought when I bought my Romin all I would need to do was make pretty curtains and cushions - pictures can be deceiving on eBay! so .... new door and window seals, rooflight and jockey wheel assembly. New internal lights and electrics checked and battery put in outside boot where gas bottle was as gas being taken out and portable camping gas hob instead. Brake linings and drums.

Have nearly scrapped off all the internal walls myself and this company said they could do the carpet lining but this will have to go into phase two. I will also need to take off all the cupboard doors as they have been painted in thick red gloss and when all that is done I can continue with my lovely fabrics and make this little van as lovely as some of the ones I have seen.
            And you will have rescued her from a life of ignominy and put your personal stamp on her.

Comment

Originally posted by elly View Post

I put new lining carpet in myself lasy year. I used the old lining carpet as a template. Pretty pleased with the result. See Romini refurb post to see what I did

Pam

Comment

Hi Elly, Rest assured you are not the only one to have been deceived by the previous owner, I couldn't find one and then bought the first one offered to me. All the same problems with mine, even down to him putting shoe polish in the tyres to hide the cracks. I,ve had mine a couple of years now and spent ages sorting the problems. Jobs competed so far -: New aluminium wheels +new tyres, new front window + rubber, complete reline of the interior with the stretchy carpet, new oak doors + catches + handles, new led lights + wiring, new fridge, new rear lights, new front marker lights, new jockey wheel assembly, Rebuild of the tow hitch, new brakes, new carpet flooring etc etc. When I got mine home it did smell a bit musty inside however it was dry so wasn't duly worried but when it did rain it was like a swimming pool under the seats, hob unit and sink!. I removed the awning in the bag to find it was mouldy and rotten!. The problem then was trying to find where the water was coming in, every time it rained I was out there with a torch looking for drips. Eventually found that it was coming in behind the aluminium waistband, I took this off to find holes where it dad been pop riveted to the fibreglass. I took it to a friends bodyshop where he repaired it and also the front skirt which had been quite badly damaged in it's previous life. I never refitted the aluminium band to stop this happening again. The parts that were repaired are still in primer and it will soon be going back to the bodyshop for a full respray. I'm gradually getting there, next year will hopefully see it all done. Got to tell you this, a week after buying mine I was offered a one owner, garaged all it's life Romini with a fridge and awning for almost the same price, I wish I had bought that one and sold mine on........ You are not alone!

Frank

Comment

Hi Pam, yes saw you did lovely job with wall carpet but my walls had spray on like suede and needs removing with scrapper and some of it is very stubborn but will persevere when van returns. meanwhile will get on with pelmets which am going to cover with fabric that has row of beach huts as this my theme as we live on south coast.

Comment

Just a thought, why do photos of every Romini I've seen advertised look really good? and up close are total wrecks

or do we see what we want to see?

Comment

Perhaps because the good ones do not come up for sale or change hands very often Elly. I have been asked to sell mine several times.
                      NO CHANCE!
                      Jim.
                      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Had to laugh at that - for some reason, caravans, motorhomes and campervans are very photogenic.

When I have been selling mine I have always though that the photos make them look smarter than they really are, even when I have taken pains to show photos of the "rougher" parts.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X