X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini Awning

Hello everyone !
    I'm new on here and have quite recently purchased a Romini caravan about 15 years old.
    I'm towing it with a 1.2 16v Vauxhall Corsa, B, and weight is a major factor for them thar hills ! Goes along quite nicely except for the exceptional short steep ones when the old 'steam' gauge rises frighteningly untill the top.
    To this end, I am looking to sell the awning that came with it. I put it up on my own this afternoon and it was quite windy too! It was made of good quality stuff and was in good condition all round, was clean enough, slight bend in one pole at the top. I will try to stick a picture on the end of this in a minute.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for these Romini's I would be most gratefull for a copy (Money could change hands....?) I tried Island Plastics but to no avail. Apparently they have moved and had a clearout and all?

Totally confused by the two spare connectors on the power converter box, one grey one black, when they are allready covered by the car connectors??

Any offers or help much appreciated.

Heading to the Gower Penninsular next, soon as we get a bit of reliable sunshine.

Regards,

Tom24
    Attached Files

Hello Tom, you are the second Romini owner to join the Forum in about the last 24 hours!
    There are others on here too. There is even a Romini section in "Caravan Chat".
    Sorry I cannot help with your wiring problem. Although I modified my wiring somewhat I restricted it to locating the wires I needed with a test lamp and ignored the rest.
    The Romini was designed to be towed with cars as small as 850cc of 30 years ago. So your Vauxhall should not have problems. Power/cc has gone up substantially since those days.
    I would respectfully suggest, as a retired Motor Engineer, that you should get your car checked for cooling problems rather than selling your awning. Even silly little things like the airflow through the radiator being obstructed with dead flies and leaves could cause your problem. Something often overlooked.
    Whatever, I think you have a problem with your engine cooling and leaving the awning behind will do nothing to alleviate your problem.
    By the way, I think the last Romini was built over 20 years ago. There should be numbers on the inside of the top door hinge. Reading vertically the 3 numbers on the left are the production number And the last two right hand ones are the year. Not sure whether the top right is month of manufacture or not. Mine is number 188 and I believe one of the last few produced.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 24-05-2011, 21:02.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi Tom

Welcome to our forum and the ever growing band of Romini owners, there will soon be more Romini owners than motorhome owners, perhaps we should rename it the Romini Forum.

I agree with Jim, your car should be able to tow a Romini without any problems, no need to sell your awning, get the car checked.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Romini awning

Hi Tom. When I bought my Romini last year, It was to be towed by a Fiat 1.1
        I went to Craster in Northumberland using this car and I had an awning much the same as yours which I actually put in the car.
        I found the long slow hills going up tha A1 a bit of a drag but my return journey I came back via B roads which were winding and twisting with small sharp hills. No problem at all with the Fiat. In fact I preferred the return journey.
        So maybe two litre is right. Check the car.

Pam

Comment

Re-reading this thread I began musing about weight and its effect on performance.
          Actually weight adds very little to towing resistance on the flat. But does affect hill climbing because the car is literally lifting its own weight and payload to the height of the hill.
          The main resistance to towing is air drag, which increases exponentially with speed and which we can do little about.
          Years ago I found a great advantage in weight reduction by using melamine crockery, lightweight aluminium pans etc. and packing the 'van with no more than I needed. The advantages of an awning put it firmly in the "needed" bracket though.
          All this adaptation was prompted not by overheating, but to improve hill-climbing speeds. Living in a very hilly Peak District.
          The difference was noticeable in performance, but particularly in fuel consumption. Which might be the most important aspect today.
          Jim.

Comment

Reply to Two Litre....

Yeh!
            You're hitting the spot now. The car has been well looked after before I got it (This time last year plus a month or two.) On the flat it's so easy to forget you are towing, most hills can be got up at 60 mph (I know I know !) but every now and then down the A303 to Exeter and beyond, there do be some very sharp hills! You can feel the whole weight of the Romini hanging off the back of the car. As for trying that with an 850 cc car? It would probably have to go up in reverse! The car does very well, I'm not ccomplaining at all, like everything, it has limitations.

I am much in line with " " in the other post, maybe the B roads are more humane in some ways if you know your route.

I found the numbers just like you said and have; 786 and 131

( I tried opening another window to look at the posts I'm referring to but couldn't find them, just to get the names and details right, so please bear with me if I left you out. )

I've put another plug in at the front end to allow for a mains lamp at night or doing the toast while poaching an egg or two, ha ha, (can you smell burning ?)

The wiring looks like spaghetti, I spent an afternoon tracing as much as I could and have a rough idea of which cable entry point caters for which set of options. It is still largely guesswork. Still....keeps you going doesn't it ?

Thanks for the tips and views.

I'm half inclined to plump for the "top end of Somerset meeting" advertised in here just now, must see how other things work out first.

Thanks all,

Tom(24)

PS Ohhh look...it was down below all the time, the other posts !

Comment

Still not convinced Tom.
              While I usually tow my Romini with the car at the top left of this post, I also occasionally tow it with my P Reg Rover 214. Which is only 1300cc. It hardly notices the Romini is there and it certainly does not overheat even on the 1 in 4 (25% I believe in new money) hills we have plenty of around here. And it will tow up to 60mph with not much more than normal throttle on the flat.
              Jim.
              By the way the numbers indicate it was production number 131 (out of around 200) and built in 1986. Which I think makes it about 10 years older than you thought. But don't let that worry you. condition is the most important thing and the age is rarely mentioned when they are offered for sale.
              Last edited by Twolitre; 25-05-2011, 19:10.

Comment

Romini Awning

WOW !

It went off Ebay like snow off a ditch ! First bidder bought it for the "Buy it Now" price. Still learning about Ebay tactics ?

Sorry if anyone was thinking of having one from here, it's gone!

Bit more space under the seats.

Excuse me now, back up on the roof to do my chimney, part rebuild part pointing! Nice weather for it too !

Tom.

Comment

Tow the 'ROMINI cARAVAN'

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                  Still not convinced Tom.
                  While I usually tow my Romini with the car at the top left of this post, I also occasionally tow it with my P Reg Rover 214. Which is only 1300cc. It hardly notices the Romini is there and it certainly does not overheat even on the 1 in 4 (25% I believe in new money) hills we have plenty of around here. And it will tow up to 60mph with not much more than normal throttle on the flat.
                  Jim.
                  By the way the numbers indicate it was production number 131 (out of around 200) and built in 1986. Which I think makes it about 10 years older than you thought. But don't let that worry you. condition is the most important thing and the age is rarely mentioned when they are offered for sale.
                  Hello Twolitre, I use a 'Rover 25 1400cc (2003) with my 'Romini' no trouble, plus very little exrta MPGs. I am very impressed.
                  Best regards, seagrub.

Comment

Romini

Originally posted by Tom24 View Post
                    WOW !

It went off Ebay like snow off a ditch ! First bidder bought it for the "Buy it Now" price. Still learning about Ebay tactics ?

Excuse me now, back up on the roof to do my chimney, part rebuild part pointing! Nice weather for it too !

Tom.
                    Tom, you may be aware and you may have done this,but have you checked your 'Romini' braking system? see the 'Romini Braking System' on this site, plus check your Tyre pressure. As said, you may have done all this, but when I first had my 'Romini' I had to sort the braking system out and I was pleased with result. Just a thought. Best of luck with it, seagrub. p.s.I first towed my
                    Romini with a Hyundia Amica 1.1 gsi. no trouble other than a little wind resistance and a few less mpg.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Romini

Originally posted by Tom24 View Post
                      WOW !

Tom.
                      Tom, you may be aware and you may have done this,but have you checked your 'Romini' braking system? see the 'Romini Braking System' on this site, plus check your Tyre pressure. As said, you may have done all this, but when I first had my 'Romini' I had to sort the braking system out and I was pleased with result. Just a thought. Best of luck with it, seagrub. p.s.I first towed my
                      Romini with a Hyundia Amica 1.1 gsi. no trouble other than a little wind resistance and a few less mpg. (see picture)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X