New windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New windows

Romini has now had wall carpet stripped off (has been at repair place since last November). Now ready for me to choose colour BUT am now thinking would like new windows. Have looked at Dometic Seitz hinged Windows for the side windows and EECO for the other one that does not open. Has anyone else had windows replaced as do not know how much they will cost. Also could anyone let me know the measurements of the windows as garage takes ages to reply. Think this may be too over budget but can only dream.

Hi Elly, I had the front window in my caravan replaced by Eeco as it's also not an 'off the shelf' size. I think it cost around 300, so sit down before you ask them for a quote! Having said that, the window is lovely, double glazed, and top class quality.

Before you go ordering one though, be aware that you need to take the old one out, and send it to them so that they can use it for a pattern. You will need a tarp to prevent the rain getting in and it takes approximately 2-3 weeks from start to finish to get back to you. You will also need to see if the hinges/window handles, etc., are all working before you order one, as these are very hard to replace.
    Last edited by jayjay; 06-10-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I have emailed Eeco to request estimate for big window that does not open as I got measurement from brochure 48 X 21 inches. Will wait for reply. Will then need garage to fit and get new rubber seal. It looks like the opening ones on sides can be sliding or hinged. Does anyone have pros and cons on which ones are best?

Comment

Hi elly - if you look at Tigerfish 's posts "van with no name" He has a little demountable pod, (these are very like your Romni in construction), He has changed his windows (fixed in the pod) with Seitz windows which slide open.
        I looked into Seitz for my pod, but they are expensive and I think in some cases the window surround may need modified.
        Jon
        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
        https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

I had a front window from EECO for my Romini approx 2 years ago and cost me around the £280 mark. I also bought a couple of seltz sliding windows for another project i'm doing. which cost around the £600 mark. Very pleased with the windows from both companies.
          If you do get a new front window make sure you fit a new rubber seal.

Comment

Have got quote for side windows, cheapest £333 each plus fitting. The front window from ECCO over £500!!!! So think I will risk repair shop to try and replace rubber seal and if they break window will have to save up or give up. Does anyone know the best wall carpet? I am thinking the thicker the better but not sure if should choose the more stretchy. Imagine will not get van any time soon has been nearly a year but they are very busy but men that doing work so nice and never worked on van so small.

Comment

Originally posted by elly View Post
              Have got quote for side windows, cheapest £333 each plus fitting. The front window from ECCO over £500!!!! So think I will risk repair shop to try and replace rubber seal and if they break window will have to save up or give up. Does anyone know the best wall carpet? I am thinking the thicker the better but not sure if should choose the more stretchy. Imagine will not get van any time soon has been nearly a year but they are very busy but men that doing work so nice and never worked on van so small.
              Elly I cannot think why the repair shop should break the windows. 2 of us (me 69 and my mate Phil 76) removed the windows with ease replacement was easier when a younger man ( less creaky joints ) assisted us. New seals and we have not seen damp in the van again. If your repairer is thinking he will break the windows I would be seriously worried about their skill level.
              Carpet use standard auto carpet - if you use thick not intended as a liner the weight may drag it off the wall. Donk's Dad probably knows far more than me - I have only re carpetted one demountable and one Freedom caravan. I would if possible reline while the windows are out as the rubbers will help lock the liner in place.
              Jon

Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
              https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by elly View Post
                I got my carpet from ebay. I sent away for a sample card. Mega van mats was the firm. I ordered 10 metres, which came with 10 cans of soray adhesive.I only needed 8 metres, so sold the rest on. The quality of the carpet was good. See the link for Romini refurb, there is a pic on there of the carpet.

Pam
                Last edited by pamsicle; 11-10-2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

We used Auto lining for camper conversions that is like carpet but has no foam backing, this is available in many different colours from ebay (but also in other shops as well),

We used spray adhesive applied to both the wall and back of lining and it worked a treat and looks really good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Str...wRDH:rk:1:pf:0

Comment

Hi i am in the same position and have a quote from ECCO but not being in the same country as the van means waiting till December to take out the window and send off for replacement and asking a company to install as we will not be there still when it arrives. i think we might need need new seals can you let me know where to get them really cant wait to be sorted and bring the Romini to Ireland . thanks in advance Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

Elly I cannot think why the repair shop should break the windows. 2 of us (me 69 and my mate Phil 76) removed the windows with ease replacement was easier when a younger man ( less creaky joints ) assisted us. New seals and we have not seen damp in the van again. If your repairer is thinking he will break the windows I would be seriously worried about their skill level.
                      Carpet use standard auto carpet - if you use thick not intended as a liner the weight may drag it off the wall. Donk's Dad probably knows far more than me - I have only re carpetted one demountable and one Freedom caravan. I would if possible reline while the windows are out as the rubbers will help lock the liner in place.
                      Jon
                      This window is already showing signs at the base of breaking up but hopefully if they can put new rubber seal it will
                      not only cover but solve problem.

Comment