Announcement

Collapse

Do you know this man

See more
See less

Solar generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Solar generator

    Has anyone got a solar generator? I have just sent for a 150w. These are very light and small, thought it would be a good buy and will charge with solar panel as well as mains.

    #2
    Elly, These things are really storage systems, not generators - they store electricity but do not make it!!! I think the advertising standards people may think the name is misleading.
    They seem to be no more than a 110 amp/hour leisure battery, a charge controller and some sockets all packaged in a case. If I am correct its durability will be dictated by the quality of the leisure battery.
    However it is a neat solution - if I were you I would consider getting a solar panel fixed permanently on the roof, so the generator box will be getting a permanent charge - it also acts as an additional insulator against both heat and cold.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

    Comment


      #3
      Solar energy for me is definitely worth thinking about, but as kernowjon has stated the term Solar Generator is slightly misleading. Yes it can be charged via solar, and yes with the right set up it can produce power, usually at 12v or 230v through an inverter, but it will only offer stored energy rather than generate it. I have a very similar pack which I keep for mobile use and 12v emergency lighting but it needs to be trickle charged for good use. I also run a solar station hooked up into a 440ah battery pack which in the event of a power outage will power all my LED lights around the house without too much problem, and will run a coolbox via an inverter for an emergency fridge not to mention all the USB charging we need.

      We have a 100w mono panal controlled by an MPPT charge controller on the roof of our van, really easy to fit, and it keeps our 110ah leisure battery topped up all the times, even in the dull weather. I am sure your power-pack will be very useful and a handy tool should you need it.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
        Solar energy for me is definitely worth thinking about, but as kernowjon has stated the term Solar Generator is slightly misleading. Yes it can be charged via solar, and yes with the right set up it can produce power, usually at 12v or 230v through an inverter, but it will only offer stored energy rather than generate it. I have a very similar pack which I keep for mobile use and 12v emergency lighting but it needs to be trickle charged for good use. I also run a solar station hooked up into a 440ah battery pack which in the event of a power outage will power all my LED lights around the house without too much problem, and will run a coolbox via an inverter for an emergency fridge not to mention all the USB charging we need.

        We have a 100w mono panal controlled by an MPPT charge controller on the roof of our van, really easy to fit, and it keeps our 110ah leisure battery topped up all the times, even in the dull weather. I am sure your power-pack will be very useful and a handy tool should you need it.
        This is the one I have ordered. Very simple, small and lightweight. Do you think 60w solar panel would be enough? Battery is 150w.

        Comment


          #5
          You don't say what you are going to use it for. 150 watt/hours equates to 12.5 amp/hours which isn't much compared with a normal leisure battery.
          A 60 watt solar panel should be okay for most things assuming the sun shines.
          I have a similar device but it's more for emergency use to jump start cars and pump up tyres.
          Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
            You don't say what you are going to use it for. 150 watt/hours equates to 12.5 amp/hours which isn't much compared with a normal leisure battery.
            A 60 watt solar panel should be okay for most things assuming the sun shines.
            I have a similar device but it's more for emergency use to jump start cars and pump up tyres.
            Would like to run cool box. The one I am looking at is 27w. Does anyone know of one that takes less energy. Does not matter what size just want to keep couple of drinks cold or maybe pint of milk

            Comment


              #7
              Seems a lot of money to shell out just to keep a few bottles/cans cold or a pint of milk. Do what we did years ago, stick them in a bucket of water in the shade.

              I think a proper leisure battery combined with a solar panel on the roof would be a better bet.

              Cool boxes do take a lot of power, I've seen a lot of campers who have flattened their car batteries by leaving them on all night.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by elly View Post

                Would like to run cool box. The one I am looking at is 27w. Does anyone know of one that takes less energy. Does not matter what size just want to keep couple of drinks cold or maybe pint of milk
                Hi Elly - this is about the cheapest you will get a low amperage proper cool box - it is a portable fridge
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011I3X1...550&th=1&psc=1
                Jon
                Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

                Comment


                  #9
                  Think this may be more my price range, around £12.00 ! Must be low consumption and poss keep milk cool. Will test it out and let you know.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Caz View Post
                    Seems a lot of money to shell out just to keep a few bottles/cans cold or a pint of milk. Do what we did years ago, stick them in a bucket of water in the shade.

                    I think a proper leisure battery combined with a solar panel on the roof would be a better bet.

                    Cool boxes do take a lot of power, I've seen a lot of campers who have flattened their car batteries by leaving them on all night.
                    I agree. I also used to use a bucket of water for a long time.

                    If you don't have a reason for using 12v, then you could always go for an ordinary small coolbox and a couple of freezer blocks.. It will keep things cool for a few days or more, especially if you freeze some milk and also use that as an ice block. Or you could do what Jim (Two Litre) does and put your milk, straight from the fridge in the house or shop, into a thermos flask.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by jayjay View Post

                      I agree. I also used to use a bucket of water for a long time.

                      If you don't have a reason for using 12v, then you could always go for an ordinary small coolbox and a couple of freezer blocks.. It will keep things cool for a few days or more, especially if you freeze some milk and also use that as an ice block.
                      I've also heard of people buying ice in the supermarket as they go along to keep the coolbox cool!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Elly we started off with a cool box, but it only kept things a bit cool and used so much electric that we could only run it whilst driving. Peltier effect cool boxes are rubbish! We found that as an insulated box it worked if the milk was frozen when we left our house and surrounded by frozen ice in clic lock plastic boxes. If you go for only a short time and only want to keep milk cool, This is a good solution!
                        We wanted more, my wife did not want the expense of a proper compressor fridge and a solar panel and leisure battery so i built a diy box with 2 inches of foam insulation. With that, frozen milk and 8 litres of ice in click lock boxes would last a week and we could buy ice cubes in supermarkets every 4 days to keep it going. Problems were: finding ice cubes everywhere we wanted to go, and and draining the water and condensation.
                        In the end we wanted an easier life and got out 50 litre compressor fridge 100 watt solar panel and 100 amp hour leisure battery (which makes other things possible too. Since i have extended the fridge to about 75 litres in our newer camper by an insulated downward extension.
                        So from experience either keep things small in a cheap insulated box and carry and find ice or go the whole hog and get a proper compressor fridge!
                        Last edited by Derekoak; 13-11-2018, 03:53 PM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

                          Hi Elly - this is about the cheapest you will get a low amperage proper cool box - it is a portable fridge
                          https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011I3X1...550&th=1&psc=1
                          Jon
                          Does not say how many watts. Do you know? Also how long would the 27watt cooler run from 150w battery? I am only guessing about 5 hours.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The battery shouldn't be discharged below 50%, so 150 watt capacity would only mean 75 watts useage. 27 goes into 75 less than 3 times, so less than 3 hours.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by elly View Post

                              Does not say how many watts. Do you know? Also how long would the 27watt cooler run from 150w battery? I am only guessing about 5 hours.
                              Elly it is the same motor as mine - and my fridge is bigger the average current draw on mine is 0.6 amps per hour - the compressor works identically to the fridge in your house, only turning on when needed. Listen carfully and you periodically hear a low hum. think the other realistic alternative is Derekoak "cool box" and bucket of water.. All the cheaper plug ins use a lot of electricity to achieve little.
                              Jon
                              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                              https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X