Eeek Please tell me that this is not correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eeek Please tell me that this is not correct

Please can someone confirm my thoughts that this is not correct. Even as a new owner I am shocked to see a 4.5kg calor gas bottle under the bed with the water heater and a battery! I do know that the battery is a car battery and should be a leisure one but even so...….. My thoughts are to get the gas changed back to the front locker (outside) and go down to the 907 campingaz size. For info, the gas would be running the fridge and the cooker (two burner & grill) Look forward to your thoughts 20190929_111330.jpg

It really depends on the year of the vehicle. In "The Olden Days" it was normal to have a gas bottle loose inside the vehicle but now it is highly illegal, the gas bottle has to be held in place usually with straps, in a sealed locker with a drop-out vent in the floor. My guess is that it sounds as if your vehicle (you don't say what it is, or what year it was made) was designed to take a Camping Gaz 907 bottle, a previous owner had a heart attack when he was asked for the unjustifyable amount of money that Camping Gaz costs, and he decided to dump that and fit a calor gas bottle under the bed.
    Yes, you should by whatever means, use a gas bottle that is in a sealed compartment with a vent hole in the floor. You could either get a carpenter to make a box around your calor gas bottle and drill a hole in the floor, or assuming you already have one but it is too small for a calor gas bottle you would have to pay the cost of a Camping Gaz bottle. Alternatively you could get an underslung refillable tank, or if you get a suitable housing made you could use a refillable LPG bottle. GasIt, GasLow and Safefill make good refillable bottles and if you use it frequently the cost of the bottle and filler system will be quickly recouped when you compare the cost of LPG at a refilling station with the cost of Calor Gas or even more so, Camping Gaz.
    You could keep the Calor Gas bottle where it is, get a gas tight box made to cover it and clamp the box down to the floor with a rubber seal (with quick-release clamps so you can lift the box to change the bottle), like draft excluder, between the box and the floor. The floor inside the box would need to have a hole at least 2" diameter, with a grill, to allow any leaked gas to fall down through the hole. That would meet the current gas installation requirements. It would of course need a hole in its side to pass the rubber hose through, and this hose-to-box hole would need to be sealed around the hose. Getting a carpenter to make such a box for your Calor Gas bottle would be cheaper than reverting to a Camping Gaz system - smaller bottles, at eight times the cost of Calor Gas, with in itself is eight times the cost of LPG from a refilling station.
    https://www.gasit.co.uk/
    https://www.gaslowdirect.com/Refilla...ylinder-System
    http://www.safefill.co.uk/
    Last edited by gasgas; 01-10-2019, 15:31.
    If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
      My guess is that it sounds as if your vehicle (you don't say what it is, or what year it was made)

gasgas it's a Romini Caravan - as they posted in the Romini section!

Comment

Thanks Pauline I thought for one minute I had posted elsewhere

Comment

Ah, I didn't know that, I don't study the Romini section! I do believe they have a small gas locker which only takes a Camping Gaz 907. In which case DeniseBB would have to either have a proper wooden sealed box fitted under the bed to take a Calor Gas bottle or revert to the Camping Gaz bottle in the Romini provided locker.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
            It really depends on the year of the vehicle. In "The Olden Days" it was normal to have a gas bottle loose inside the vehicle but now it is highly illegal, the gas bottle has to be held in place usually with straps, in a sealed locker with a drop-out vent in the floor. My guess is that it sounds as if your vehicle (you don't say what it is, or what year it was made) was designed to take a Camping Gaz 907 bottle, a previous owner had a heart attack when he was asked for the unjustifyable amount of money that Camping Gaz costs, and he decided to dump that and fit a calor gas bottle under the bed.
            Yes, you should by whatever means, use a gas bottle that is in a sealed compartment with a vent hole in the floor. You could either get a carpenter to make a box around your calor gas bottle and drill a hole in the floor, or assuming you already have one but it is too small for a calor gas bottle you would have to pay the cost of a Camping Gaz bottle. Alternatively you could get an underslung refillable tank, or if you get a suitable housing made you could use a refillable LPG bottle. GasIt, GasLow and Safefill make good refillable bottles and if you use it frequently the cost of the bottle and filler system will be quickly recouped when you compare the cost of LPG at a refilling station with the cost of Calor Gas or even more so, Camping Gaz.
            You could keep the Calor Gas bottle where it is, get a gas tight box made to cover it and clamp the box down to the floor with a rubber seal (with quick-release clamps so you can lift the box to change the bottle), like draft excluder, between the box and the floor. The floor inside the box would need to have a hole at least 2" diameter, with a grill, to allow any leaked gas to fall down through the hole. That would meet the current gas installation requirements. It would of course need a hole in its side to pass the rubber hose through, and this hose-to-box hole would need to be sealed around the hose. Getting a carpenter to make such a box for your Calor Gas bottle would be cheaper than reverting to a Camping Gaz system - smaller bottles, at eight times the cost of Calor Gas, with in itself is eight times the cost of LPG from a refilling station.
            https://www.gasit.co.uk/
            https://www.gaslowdirect.com/Refilla...ylinder-System
            http://www.safefill.co.uk/
            Hi, I take on board what you say, but it is a Romini LXS and somewhere in my brain I have got gas and electric do not mix. The Rominis front compartment only hold the 907 bottles and I see no problem with that, however this is new to me and only found this lot under the bed at the weekend. Thankfully nothing was in use then.

Comment

You are quite correct Denise. Mind you to be pedantic, gas at the ratio of 1 of gas to 15 of air, plus a spark equals one Romini in orbit around the Space Station. That isn't what you want, obviously.Specially if you are in the Romini with no space suit.
              So if I were you I would either get a sealed box fitted round the Calor Gas bottle or revert to having a Camping Gaz bottle which I presume fits in the designed place front compartment, and put up with the cost.
              That reminds me of when I was in my Clapham Common bedsit in 1971 and a Calor Gas depot in Croydon blew up. It was very spectacular, at 3am there was what sounded like World War three going on. Everyone in the street went outside in their night clothes to watch as LPG bottles exploded and shot hundreds of feet into the air. As we were about ten miles away we were safe, but you wouldn't want one of those bottles landing on your head. These LPG bottles are designed with a weak base, so that if they do explode they shoot up into the air like rockets rather than explode outwards and burst shrapnel everywhere as a hand grenade would.

Comment

sorry but you made me laugh. First Romini in space!! Seriously it would be easier to place a sealed box around with I guess a vent in floor? I don't suppose you would know what that box should be made of?

Comment

Hi Denise! Would it be easier to put your battery in a battery box? The gas bottle needs fixing down so that it doesn't slide about in the compartment.

mikeroch used to own a Romini LXS, so perhaps he can give you some more info.

also pamsicle owned the smaller Romini for years. I think she actually took out the battery altogether as it served no purpose other than to power the 12v lights and there are better ways of lighting a caravan. I think she had gas in the outside locker though.

In my caravan (vintage 1982) the gas bottle is in the front locker - outside the main body of the caravan. That's at one end... the battery is also in there - at the other end. There is a 5ft or so gap between the two and a lot of 'stuff' in the middle acting as dividers. I did fit a plywood divider, but then the 'stuff' wouldn't go in! I can't fit a battery box as there isn't one small enough or I would have done so. From 1982 to the present day and I'm still here to tell the tale.. (and yes, I'm touching wood here!) The obvious thing for me to do would be to leave the gas where it is, and move the battery somewhere else, but that would prove problematic and expensive. I did consider it some years ago, but it would have to go underneath a locker and I don't like the thought of having a battery under my bed! All caravans over a certain age have the gas and battery in the same compartment.

In my Romahome demountable (very similar) the leisure battery was at the foot of one locker under one bed, and the 907 gas bottle was underneath the locker on the opposite side! I just had to live with that!
                  Last edited by jayjay; 01-10-2019, 18:12.

Comment

Jayjay I really hadn't thought of a battery box I will investigate that as probably the easier and cheaper option. I don't mind where they are as long as it is as safe as could be.

Comment

I would definitely revert to using the front locker for the gas. If you do leave it where it is, it needs a drop hole vent putting in and straps to secure it as a minimum. I've had caravans years ago that had the battery and gas in the same compartment - but it was the front locker, so not actually in the van and plenty of air circulation, plus like Jayjay they were at opposite ends of the locker and strapped in to prevent movement whilst towing.

I've also had ones where the leisure battery was in the underbed locker; I think Jayjay's idea of a battery box to enclose it and prevent any sparks going anywhere they shouldn't is a good one. Again, it should be strapped in for safety.

Comment

I did have a battery box fitted under 1 of my seats with a vent underneath. The gas bottle was in the front locker.
                        Pam

Comment

My setup was conventional .... 2 camping gaz 907s in the front outside locker, not secured but the locker is designed to be snug. Battery located under bed close to the axle, in a battery box and strapped down. Vent tube from the battery and out through the floor. Batteries liberate (explosive) Hydrogen gas which, as the Hindenberg passengers would testify, can ruin your whole day if ignited.

Comment

Originally posted by pamsicle View Post
                            I did have a battery box fitted under 1 of my seats with a vent underneath. The gas bottle was in the front locker.
                            Pam
                            Having a vent in the bottom of a battery box is a waste of time - the battery has a vent - a tube push fits on the vant and the other end of the tube vents out board. The gas produced by a lead acid battery is hydrogen. - Hydrogen is lighter than air and therefore rises.
                            The Butane, Propane or in Camping Gaz a mix of the 2, are all gases which are heavier than air and fall. Therefore these gases need gas drop-outs not only under the cylinder but also under appliances. - so at a minimum there should in addition to one in the gas locker there should be one under the hob - if the fridge and heater are in the same area one will suffice.
                            If you do not mind altering the looks of your LXS why not get a larger front locker made to carry a 4.5 Kg bottle - the older locker design did not have a floor the bottle standing on a small stand and thus there was a dropout area around the bottle.
                            The locker could be made either from aluminium or thin plywood encapsulated in GRP.
                            Jon

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment