Update, experiment, too hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update, experiment, too hot.

Hello everyone.....too hot to do much, too hot to think, dog panting like mad despite a wet coat on him, can’t be bothered to get out of the chair, temperature outside in the shade at 35 and going up!

You may remember my telling you that the Ford BMax 1600 was incapable of towing my Romini.....well, end of lease this month, and replacing with a Renault Captur that will easily pull it off the front garden. A good clean up to get the algae off, someone to look at the brakes (can’t remove drums to check), and finish the refurbishment halted nearly three years ago.

Been thinking.....when the evenings are cooler. How can I stop so much green algae settling and making a home on my van? I came up with the idea from the building trade to stop moss and algae growing on roof tiles. By placing a copper strip just below the ridge tiles, the rain washes microscopic particles of copper over the roof as it runs to the gutter....or so I am led to believe....killing moss and greens.

I am about to experiment with the van. A good wash, remove said camouflage and install self adhesive copper strips on the highest point of the roof, and below the horizontal mouldings hiding screw fittings. If placed in a decorative style as part of the ‘design’, it may work in controlling the vegetation.

Now, my mind is being affected by the heat.....how about joining all the strips and making them into a lightning conductor? Methinks that needs reappraisal!. Actually the copper strip came from Amazon in a roll of 20m, 20mm wide and has many uses...slug repellant on pots, under-base electrical circuits for model trains ( my new hobby), or as a craft material.

will keep you informed of that experiment, and looking forward to actually using the van again after all these years. Charlie has booked a space for his dog bed.....in the middle of the floor, unless I allow him up on the seats. We’ll see!

Hope some of you get away soon, and have stayed away from the dreaded virus. Lockdown was lovely.....quietness, clean air, shopping delivered,

Sounds interesting! Green algae and moss are a blinking nuisance. Let us know if it works!

Comment

The algae growth on units is a complete pain, and if you haven't used it for a while you have to spend a day washing and polishing before you can go out without feeling ashamed about the appearance of the 'van.

I'm amazed there has not been a coating or polish of some kind that deters algae or prevents it from adhering to the surface. There's a fortune to be made by some enterprising soul!

Let us know how you get on with your progress, it's way time you got that Romini out on the road. Message from my dog, Echo, to yours: 'I don't do beds on floors mate... claim one of the benches as your own if I were you!'
      Cynthia

Comment

Thank you Cynthia for your motivational comments 😁. Charlie hasn’t read the post yet....give him an inch and he’ll have the whole bed area, with me squashed up in one corner.
        Getting my new car on Tuesday, get the tow hitch fitted, wash the green coating off the outside, air the inside, stock with food and dog stuff, and get on the road to a nearby site for a trial run. Have ordered a porch awning from EBay, now that 200 sizes are being sold, and to save fiddling with poles, I opted for an air structure. Having seen an Outdoor Revolution demonstration on YouTube, it looks so easy, even for me. My partner, a little lady,😀, has volunteered to give it a try.
        Charlie has yet to be convinced, but a bag of treats, half a dozen balls, and he will come round.
        If Charlie and I don’t behave ourselves with dignity and decorum I can see us banished to the awning, hence a choice of air tubes.
        Yet to clear the algae for the copper strips, but I have high hopes for a positive result, having checked with a builder friend.
        As for a special coating that repels algae, why can’t we get mottled green caravans that blend with the countryside. The algae could act as insulation. Methinks my mind doth wander....time for shuteye, and hope Charlie stops his snoring.
        Take care and stay safe. DavidG

Comment

Originally posted by DavidG View Post
          Thank you Cynthia for your motivational comments 😁. Charlie hasn’t read the post yet....give him an inch and he’ll have the whole bed area, with me squashed up in one corner.
          Getting my new car on Tuesday, get the tow hitch fitted, wash the green coating off the outside, air the inside, stock with food and dog stuff, and get on the road to a nearby site for a trial run. Have ordered a porch awning from EBay, now that 200 sizes are being sold, and to save fiddling with poles, I opted for an air structure. Having seen an Outdoor Revolution demonstration on YouTube, it looks so easy, even for me. My partner, a little lady,😀, has volunteered to give it a try.
          Charlie has yet to be convinced, but a bag of treats, half a dozen balls, and he will come round.
          If Charlie and I don’t behave ourselves with dignity and decorum I can see us banished to the awning, hence a choice of air tubes.
          Yet to clear the algae for the copper strips, but I have high hopes for a positive result, having checked with a builder friend.
          As for a special coating that repels algae, why can’t we get mottled green caravans that blend with the countryside. The algae could act as insulation. Methinks my mind doth wander....time for shuteye, and hope Charlie stops his snoring.
          Take care and stay safe. DavidG
          Oooh, this is sounding positive! Are you going to be all-year-rounder campers? I love my Christmas/New Year outings, though I'll be missing out on them this year as I'm not hardy enough to consider using the frame tent in midwinter.
          Cynthia.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X